No announcement yet.

Question about Weight Advantage.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Weight Advantage.

after watching joseph parker vs Anthony Joshua and rewatching old heavyweight fights. Is heavy better when you are over 205+? Is weighing 250 better than weighing 215? and vice versa. When it came to the OG heavyweights it was ideal to get to 10% bodyfat and to drop unnecessary pounds. Is it really worth having extra weight 12-14% body fat in a 12 round fight? or is it one of those things you always aim for your prime weight? Joshua weighed in at 250+ against Takam but weighed against Parker at 242.

Larry Holmes could weigh at 230-235 but he even tried to get to 215-220 in his world title fights and at his prime. Everytime I see it, it's all about length/height more so than actual weight, and I'm talking weight when it's no longer a huge factor once you are in the 215+ naturally. and by naturally i mean if you follow a clean diet and workout you won't drop below the division, a real heavyweight.

So is it worth gaining extra pounds so you don't get "tossed and moved around?" or is it worth just following a meal plan so you can fight at your bodies upmost potential regardless of the opponent? regardless of weight advantage you might get.

Weighing more than your opponent is a massive advantage. Obviously doesn't guarantee success the advantage is huge. I never realized how much an advantage only 10 lbs could be until I got in the ring.

Being bigger allows you to deliver harder punches just from the extra bodyweight, also allows you to absorbs punches easier, also allows you to "lean" on the smaller man, which drains their energy quick.

Comment

Yeah but weighing heavy also has it's cons. if it didn't have any, you wouldn't have so many fighters trying to get down in weight so they feel lighter in the ring.

I don't think for one second that Alexander Povektin would lose to Dillian Whyte, even with Whytes advantage in weight. Not even gonna factor in the age since i'm strictly talking weight advantage.

225 Alexander Povetkin to Dillian Whytes 243.

I just think the cons aren't addressed enough, yeah it has an advantage but I feel like optimally the cons aren't taken advantage of in boxing. and i'm strictly talking 12 round fights. not 3 round amateur fights.

If any fighter could stay at any body fat percent, it would be the ideal 10%bodyfat across the board. anything else is excess weight that would only hurt you in the long run, effecting stamina, punch output.

Natural weight>>>Forcing a weight advantage. No?

Comment

Originally posted by Ren28 View Post
        Yeah but weighing heavy also has it's cons. if it didn't have any, you wouldn't have so many fighters trying to get down in weight so they feel lighter in the ring.

I don't think for one second that Alexander Povektin would lose to Dillian Whyte, even with Whytes advantage in weight. Not even gonna factor in the age since i'm strictly talking weight advantage.

225 Alexander Povetkin to Dillian Whytes 243.

I just think the cons aren't addressed enough, yeah it has an advantage but I feel like optimally the cons aren't taken advantage of in boxing. and i'm strictly talking 12 round fights. not 3 round amateur fights.

If any fighter could stay at any body fat percent, it would be the ideal 10%bodyfat across the board. anything else is excess weight that would only hurt you in the long run, effecting stamina, punch output.

Natural weight>>>Forcing a weight advantage. No?
        Heavyweight is the one division where weight advantage means little. But anything under heavyweight would create a big problem - look at Lomachenko-Salido.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
          Heavyweight is the one division where weight advantage means little. But anything under heavyweight would create a big problem - look at Lomachenko-Salido.

For sure, but the lighter weight classes they go as low as they can to get an advantage on the opponent they are fighting similar to wrestling. How low can you go without killing yourself? So you can have length/height/power advantage. Weight advantage would only support because the closer you are to your natural weight, the more advantage you will have because your body is able to perform at it's optimal level.

Comment

I would go as far as to say that there is a law of diminishing returns in effect in boxing when it comes to weight. That being, the higher to go in weight the less of an impact that weight difference has. Remember the difference as a percentage of body-weight between a guy weighing 130lb and 140lb is bigger then the difference between a fighters at 230 and 240.

But still, at HW if one guy is 215lb and the other is 240lb both fighters will fight a very different fight. You can almost bet the house the 215lber will sticking and moving all day. The weight difference alone will force a different type of fight.

And what 240lb are we talking about? Ortiz 240lb or Wlad 240lb?

Many factors to consider...

Comment

Originally posted by AddiX View Post
              Weighing more than your opponent is a massive advantage. Obviously doesn't guarantee success the advantage is huge. I never realized how much an advantage only 10 lbs could be until I got in the ring.

Being bigger allows you to deliver harder punches just from the extra bodyweight, also allows you to absorbs punches easier, also allows you to "lean" on the smaller man, which drains their energy quick.
              Depends on how each man uses the attributes. When I was training for competition I was cutting to 132 sparring guys that ranged from 110 lbs to 160 lbs or more. Toughest guy I sparred was hands down the 110 lbr because of his speed and skill. His punches weren't hard he was just really good at constantly moving and working off of angles. He never stood right in front of me for very long. Every time I thought I was getting the edge on him he'd come out the next round with a new trick.

I saw him pretty much spar everyone. Even a 152 lbr I was sparring with for some time. He made him look bad needless to say.

Speed is greater than strength and accuracy is greater than power. If you get two fighters of the same level who fight moving forward then the stronger/more powerful fighter is going to win usually.

Comment

Yeah, I always hear "Speed kills." not "Weight Kills." lol

Comment

Originally posted by Ren28 View Post
                  Yeah, I always hear "Speed kills." not "Weight Kills." lol
                  Someone with fast hands, who is accurate and has decent power is a VERY dangerous opponent.

Comment

One of the first ever amateur fight nights I went to with my gym I witnessed a big, mobile, fast, hard hitting 240+ 6'6"+ amateur get clobbered by a guy that was 6'1 or 6'2 and no more than 210 lbs. He looked slim for a super heavyweight.

That's why you'll hardly ever see me arguing for fighter a to beat fighter b based on size.

Comment

Working...
                    X