Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Mayweather-McGregor is Trending To Break PPV Record

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very good business. Money was made for everybody involved (TMT)

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
      Idk man. I think Floyd vs Manny 5 or 6 years earlier when both were viewed as at their best had wider appeal then Floyd vs Manny 5 or 6 years later or a 40 year old Floyd vs one of the best MMA guys making his pro debut. And if Floyd vs Conor just barely breaks the PPV record set by Floyd vs Manny I believe that more or less proves it cuz I don't think its disputable that Floyd vs Manny had more heat in 2010ish vs 2015 & it'd have done better numbers if it happened earlier.
      No way would they have done 4 million buys back then. At most 3 million. Don't discount the power of social media. The way hype is built across FB and Instagram now through dialogue and media reports is very different than it was in 2010ish. It's much easier now to build hype around household names with viral videos, articles, etc.

Brands and athletes connect with people who wouldn't generally seek out their content, due to impressions/sharing in their social network. It has allowed these athletes to grow in popularity exponentially. FOMO is more powerful now than its ever been. That's what sold these last two fights for Floyd. Think about those YouTube video views from the pressers. You couldn't get those views in 2010, because sharing and reactions didn't exist. Now we can see everybody in our network who s reacting to a Mayweather or McGregor story. It changed everything. In that old social media climate, remember the guarantees were only 60 and 40 million when they were trying to make the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by HURTFEELINGS View Post
        Connor vs Diaz....big MMA ppv
        Connor vs Paulie will do over 2 mil because of the bravado and shhh talking.
        It may do a mil, but if may-mac only did 4-something, mac-mal ain't doing 2. It'll do 1 or a little more, which is great for a boxing ppv these days. It's also a fight many believe could go either way, which helps.

Comment

So did Manny & Floyd in 2009/2010.

And guys would have universal name ID in boxing quicker if they fought the fights instead of fighting "feature" fights vs guys no one cared about them fighting & who had no chance to beat them for 2 years to "marinate" the "big fight".

Sometimes you gotta get paid on the rematch when both guys get their name off of the first fight.
          That's what these clowns don't get. Sure Floyd and Pac 'marinated' their fight for years, but they were fighting big shots and world champions the whole time. If it wasn't a world champion then it was a top 10 p4p ranked guy or a mandatory challenger.

These guys nowadays wana 'marinate' by avoiding all top competition. That just doesn't work mayn.

Comment

I think people underestimate the marketing ability of Mayweather. No other boxer could've fought McGregor and have such a successful event. At the same time he know he had to pick the right MMA fighter for this crossover. He joked about this should be a lesson for Harvard Business School but I think other boxing promoters should pay attention. Canelo/Golovkin could have been so much bigger if they piggybacked off Mayweather/McGregor but they chose to bash it instead. Yet here we are 2 weeks out and we're still talking about last Saturday.

Comment

The fact that this fight sold 4 mil ppvs is a bit astonishing

Comment

Idk man. I think Floyd vs Manny 5 or 6 years earlier when both were viewed as at their best had wider appeal then Floyd vs Manny 5 or 6 years later or a 40 year old Floyd vs one of the best MMA guys making his pro debut. And if Floyd vs Conor just barely breaks the PPV record set by Floyd vs Manny I believe that more or less proves it cuz I don't think its disputable that Floyd vs Manny had more heat in 2010ish vs 2015 & it'd have done better numbers if it happened earlier.
                PacFloyd in 2009-2010 would've been big. Too bad Pac asked for a cut off date to RANDOM testing.

Comment

Originally posted by future hendrixx View Post
                  thats crazy. its gonna break a record that took floyd and manny 7 years of hype to create. what this shows is conors massive star power.
                  Conor has had the backing of the UFC. He is a great style to watch. Is the best trash-talker in the game. Is brilliant when it comes to marketing. Young, White, English-speaking and good looking dude who can talk is a recipe for success.

Manny is a great boxer but he never helped himself in other ways. Theres only so much an old Bob Arum can do to sell his fights.

MayPac was hindered by Top Rank/Floyds beef. Marinated for far too long and it turned a lot of people off. Both Pac and Mayweathers popularity had declined by the time it happened, it's partly why it had to happen then. May and Pac didn't really need it in their prime because of how much money they were making without it occurring.

This was Conors chance to transcend the UFC, became a thing of legend. He's still done well but he came up short on a massive stage and many people will remember that for good or bad.

Comment

Working...
                  X