Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who was the best of their generation: MAB, JMM, or Morales?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
    I tend to be partial to marquez. A definite bias on my part. I consider that he should have gotten the nod at least one more time against Pac but even beyond that....his ability to withstand the first round against pac, after being floored, smeared, beaten like a pinata from piller to post and back again...was truly one of the most masterful displays of talent, heart and confidance ever witnessed in the square circle.

Some guys are tough, they can survive like Marquez managed, but to make adjustments against an opponent like Pacman, is an incredible fiat, the likes of which are extremely rare.

Barrera's take down of the paper prince was also a masterpiece.

And Morales has a resume that is outstanding.

Under these conditions imo you rank these guys depending upon your criteria. marquez is supreme regarding technical proficiency.

If one is unbiased (unlike me!) you could look at Barrera and Marquez as close regarding singular great performances....Barrera versus the prince and Marquez getting off the ground against Pacman.

Resume and consistancy the nod goes to Morales.

Overall Marquez has two things, one working for him one agianst him: workng for him is that he is still fighting at a decent level and could conceviably get some more strikes...all of these guys have (had) longevity. Working agianst him was how easily mayweather dealt with him. Marquez was indeed....outclassed in that fight.
    I'm glad you've brought that up, and great post by the way.

Watching those moments, he gives the impression that even as his arse hits the canvas his mind doesn't wander away from boxing as a cerebral activity. It's like his mindset will only allow a single explanation as to how he's found himself in that predicament. And that is, he's made a technical or tactical error that he's capable of rectifying.

That gives him scope to pick himself up and move forward. We've seen others conceive those moments as them lacking in some way and then there really is nowhere they can go from there other than to wilt, go out swinging or engage in damage limitation.

The ability to use those moments as a catalyst for improvement firstly depends on how a fighter explains to himself what is happening. But beyond that he then has to have a whole bag of options that he can choose from in order to turn the fight around. And to do that he has to know his craft inside-out.

Like you say, that makes for a rare kind of fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
      When I was watching them in their primes Morales struck me as the more dominant fighter.

But Barrera did beat him head to head a couple of times when both were still close to peak (I thought he deserved the win in their first fight too,) and he also showed the ability to change his style from a brawler to more of a boxer which speaks well of him.

I always flip flop between those two.

Marquez got to Barrera when he was on the downside and he does have the KO win over Pacquiao but aside from that his resume does appear weaker. Still he might have had the prettiest style and combinations out of all of them.
      I agree with this guy. Give him a beer.

Comment

I think people tend to fall in love with morales because of his style and attitude... He was the most fan friendly of the 3, and the most beloved.. I think that influences people who chose him..
        Barrera beat him 2 out of 3, and I think barrera win all 3 fights IMO ..

I don't see how you can say morales was the better fighter when barrera beat him twice, at their peak

Comment

Barrera for me the first. One of the smartest guy in a boxing ring.

Then the other two.

Comment

Morales to be honest.

Comment

For me it goes
              Marquez
              Morales
              Barrera

Comment

I'll vote Marquez

then Barrera

Morales

But I'm picking a favorite here.

Comment

Morales and Marquez both have wins over Pacquiao.

Barrera does not. Yet for me he is still the best out of the three.

Comment

--- Barrera with the best skills and ring IQ.

BALCO Juan wasn't in the mix until he stopped his piss tonics and hooked up with meme's vitamins. Neither he or Morales were ever known for intelligence, but of course Manny was still raw until Freddie groomed him.

Comment

Marquez
                      Barrera
                      Morales

Comment

Working...
                      X