Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adonis Stevenson: been pondering quitting following boxing because of his situation.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adonis Stevenson: been pondering quitting following boxing because of his situation.

No matter what this man has done in the past or what people think of him, That's just tragic! Been really thinking about whether I should continue watching that brutal sport or not. Been a fan for more than a decade and it's the only sport I watch. I spend most of my free time watching and following the sport. Still with all these fighters getting injured and disabled for life I feel kind of guilty and as a fan I feel kind of responsible.

On one hand these fighters make a lot of money and they're all aware of the risks beforehand, on the other hand they all start out as kids and as a kid or a young man you refuse to think rationally, then you give up on everything else and focus entirely on boxing, it becomes all you know and now there's no way out. That's the way that sport is and it's a recipee for disaster.

What do you guys think? I've been thinking about this a lot more than I expected and just can't decide.

Personally I think your an idiot

Comment

Do some research and you'll find lots of sports have more injuries and deaths than boxing.

Comment

What's funny is that I've been waiting for this situation to happen. Not wishing for it to happen, but wondering what would happen when finally a popular boxer at the height of the sport is seriously injured like this, and what would be the outcome. Imagine if this happened to Mayweather, Pacquaio, Canelo, GGG, etc...

It's a tough call, man. We aren't responsible. It's their decision, but I guess we do create the market for it to some degree. It just has to be a personal choice. I salute all the guys and gals who risk their lives and get into the ring for our entertainment, as well as for the pay and glory of course. It's a brutal sport. His performances had been declining and he was getting up there in age. I hope he makes a speedy and full recovery. I love the sport and will continue to watch, but I wouldn't blame anyone for turning away from it.

Comment

You're thinking like a poosy. Are you a poosy? If not you'll follow boxing like the rest of us tough men.

Comment

I understand your feelings on the issue, but consider this: people die doing just about any profession, as unfortunate as that fact is. Would you stop going to convenience stores because clerks get shot and killed sometimes? I personally feel like boxing has come a long way in terms of safety and, while improvements can and should be made, boxing is a very safe sport but tragic events can and will happen in all areas of life.

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
              Do some research and you'll find lots of sports have more injuries and deaths than boxing.

Hundreds of people die EVERY YEAR skiing. In Colorado alone, 40 people die every year doing it.

The stats of that sport is alarming.

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
                I understand your feelings on the issue, but consider this: people die doing just about any profession, as unfortunate as that fact is. Would you stop going to convenience stores because clerks get shot and killed sometimes? I personally feel like boxing has come a long way in terms of safety and, while improvements can and should be made, boxing is a very safe sport but tragic events can and will happen in all areas of life.
                I like this post. You speak for me too. Green K.

Comment

^^^^
                  This.

Cops get shot all the time but are we going to ban cops? A friend of mine was an EMT until Saturday where he died in an accident. Of course, there will still be EMTs. Every sport is dangerous and life itself is dangerous. The fighters knows what they're getting into and well, these guys who keep fighting after 40 are all pretty crazy imo. You'd have to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Trick-Pony View Post
                    ^^^^
                    This.

Cops get shot all the time but are we going to ban cops? A friend of mine was an EMT until Saturday where he died in an accident. Of course, there will still be EMTs. Every sport is dangerous and life itself is dangerous. The fighters knows what they're getting into and well, these guys who keep fighting after 40 are all pretty crazy imo. You'd have to be.

Well that's true for the most part but dying while doing a job someone MUST do for the rest of us to be able to live is very different than dying trying to entertain people by punching and getting punched in the head for 12 long rounds.

Firemen can't just stop doing their job because millions would die if they do, so it's either a 1000 firemen die every year or 1000000 civilians. That's a whole different story, same for policemen and other dangerous profession that are absolutely needed. Boxing isn't a need, it's only a form of entertainment that if stopped, nobody would get seriously physically injured. These fighters make that decision as young kids and they dedicate themselves entirely, then when they want out they can't and have to fight way longer than physically reasonable.

Comment

Working...
                    X