Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here's how 225 pound, modern day HW Ray Mercer would've stopped 210 pound 1966 Ali

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
    Ray was a nothing. Ali a top 2 ATG. At Alis best Ray does not win a round.
    I wouldn't say Mercer was a "nothing". He was a solid top contender level fighter who could give SOME ATG's a tough night.

Comment

Years ago I knew a guy on another forum who met Ray Mercer in a bar--I am not sure what city, St. Louis? Indianapolis? Anyway, he said Mercer had the largest head he ever saw on a human being. I wonder if it compares in size to the head of Chris Langan, who bills himself as the smartest man in America and says he cannot find any baseball cap to fit his outsized gourd.

Comment

Originally posted by uncle ben View Post
        I wouldn't say Mercer was a "nothing". He was a solid top contender level fighter who could give SOME ATG's a tough night.
        And an Olympic gold medal winner and a the guy who blasted out UFC champion Tim Sylvia with ease.

Comment

Originally posted by BKM- View Post
          Didn't a very ancient Larry Holmes easily box Ray's ears off using a lot of young Clay's style in that figwht? Lol.
          This^^^^^^^^^^

Ray was a tough customer but could be plodding and easily outboxed if you could get him into a slow paced tactical fight.

A prime Ali in the 60s would have had his way with Mercer

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
            This^^^^^^^^^^

Ray was a tough customer but could be plodding and easily outboxed if you could get him into a slow paced tactical fight.

A prime Ali in the 60s would have had his way with Mercer
            It didn't work out that well for Lennox. A lot of people thought he lost that fight. I thought he just won by a point or two.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
              It didn't work out that well for Lennox. A lot of people thought he lost that fight. I thought he just won by a point or two.
              Lennox fought a shyt fight as well, and Lennox doesn’t have the movement like Ali..

Lennox allowed Mercer inside too much, and of Mercer gets close, he can wreck shop.

Old Larry Holmes never let Mercer get close and basically schooled him old man style with just a jab and some lateral movement

Comment

mercer, goodness? he might make the final bell.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                  Lennox fought a shyt fight as well, and Lennox doesn’t have the movement like Ali..

Lennox allowed Mercer inside too much, and of Mercer gets close, he can wreck shop.

Old Larry Holmes never let Mercer get close and basically schooled him old man style with just a jab and some lateral movement
                  So we agree that Mercer has no chance?

Comment

Originally posted by DreamFighter View Post
                    mercer, goodness? he might make the final bell.
                    I think he was only down once in his career, right?

Comment

Ali just beats him silly. One sided affair.

Comment

Working...
                      X