Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did Mike Tyson never rematch Buster Douglas??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did Mike Tyson never rematch Buster Douglas??

I’m having a look at past fighters who have lost shock fights and then see if they won the rematch to see what chances AJ has.

The obvious one is mike Tyson loss, but looking at his record there’s no rematch with Douglas, why not? Was there no rematch clause, did buster douglas run away as far as he could from the rematch lol don’t blame him if so, get your lucky win then just run away as far as you can.

Mike Tyson would have destroyed him in rematch right? Strange they never had one

Originally posted by Mr Giggles View Post
    I’m having a look at past fighters who have lost shock fights and then see if they won the rematch to see what chances AJ has.

The obvious one is mike Tyson loss, but looking at his record there’s no rematch with Douglas, why not? Was there no rematch clause, did buster douglas run away as far as he could from the rematch lol don’t blame him if so, get your lucky win then just run away as far as you can.

Mike Tyson would have destroyed him in rematch right? Strange they never had one
    Douglas fought Holyfield next. Holyfield took the title. Tyson won some comeback fights to become the mandatory, but then he went to jail.

Comment

The primary reason was because Don King didn't have a mandatory rematch clause in the contract. However, the real reason was because Main Events out bid Don King Productions for the rights to the rematch to fight Evander Holyfield. They offered Buster Douglas $20 mil; Which was more than what Don King was offering Buster Douglas to fight Tyson again.

Comment

Mike Tyson was already scheduled to fight Evander Holyfield after the Buster Douglas fight - but of course, Buster winning turned that upside down.

I can't recall if Holyfield was considered the mandatory at the time, but I do recall Douglas suing Don King for breaching their promotional contract, and some court ruled that King could promote a Douglas-Tyson rematch. I think the bad blood towards King by Douglas pushed Douglas towards taking the Holyfield fight instead.

Comment

Tyson wanted the rematch. There's an interview of them sitting next to each other shortly after the fight conducted by Larry Merchant with Tyson talking about how he wants the rematch next and Buster saying "it's up to my manager/promoter". I'm going off memory here but at one point Tyson even says "he can fight me next or he can go and lose to Holyfield instead", though the interview itself was cordial and both fighters were respectful of each other. Ultimately Douglas went the Holyfield route instead and the rest is history.

Comment

Working...
          X