• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
    Okay, this one is basically a LePotato

https://www.amazon.com/Libre-Compute.../dp/B074P6BNGZ

and a pair of arcade sticks:

https://www.amazon.com/Fighting-Joys...dDbGljaz10cnVl

So yeah, 35 for a potato, 30 per stick, that's 95 bucks in hardware alone, from your perspective, I'm sure the maker gets their chips for less than retail.

Then you factor things in like programming, configuration, the cost of plastic for the housings and stuff like that I really do not believe asking 185 is too much.

It is a good deal for someone who doesn't want to learn how to set up

BUT

This is legitimate.

I only watched 1:21 of the video, but, I am in the larger retroarch community, like I said I've been working on portable PC builds, arcade on a stick kinda deals. The reason we are able to make emulation so plug-n-play is because retroarch, or rather libretro the folks behind retroarch, recreate every emulator as a .dll, basically a library of files rather than a file, similar to a zip but different in that it isn't zipped and unzipped it's just read.

Anyway, I've not mucked around with the ps3 builds in forever or even any console build in at least two years but this is, or I guess was, always the goal.

Everything looks very much like the current PC install solutions, except it's on a ps3 using ps3 filesystems.

There is nothing about the install, and I did watch the install, after that it went into updating and what not, that's universal across retroarch builds, but anyway; there is nothing about the install that seems out of place just more up to date then I had previously explained. What I mean to say is nothing about this install should harm your Ps3 in anyway.

I can't say about Sony's ability to see you are emulating, but, I doubt it. the .dll format makes RA very flexible.

So, yeah, I reckon both are viable options depending on what you're looking for.

If I were you I'd start with the Ps3 and Retroarch before you buy sticks, just use the ps3 controller for a while and if you don't like that buy the Pandora but if you do enjoy the Ps3+RA just buy yourself some sticks and continue to enjoy it.

Hoe this helps ya bud.
    thanks a lot man, this helps a lot, i'll def keep you posted with how things are going.

I'm going to try the ps3 route, it's just sitting there so I might as well try and make it useful.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
      yeah i got a home arcade. it's called a gaming PC bruh. 2060 and a 3700X. i run most games on high ass settings and i get 144+ frames bruhhh
      Lol there are people with a high end gaming PC setup, a console/home entertainment setup, and also room for an arcade setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
        I hate to tell you, but, literally any other console except original XBox would be easier.

For a Ps3 you either need to have one of the early ones that is capable of installing Linux, or, replace the firmware with custom firmware.

With say, the Wii, you just need a thumbstick and a Wii.

A few extra steps, but the Ps3 is pretty powerful and can play more recent titles than a lot of consoles so it might be worth it to you. Look for a video on youtube or some other source you trust about custom firmware for the Ps3. Retroarch isn't something you have to use, but, there is a lot of support for it and if you go stand alone emulation getting each one to work properly is on you....I highly recommend searching for custom firmware and retroarch installs. Hell, you might get lucky and find someone's done everything up in one package at this point. I personally release ports all the time, I don't have anything to help you atm because I'm focused on PC portable files, means no install just play, but I can take a look if you run into trouble.

For console based EMU, the Dreamcast is the easiest, you just burn a disc. The Wii, Ps2, and Gamecube just require a thumbstick, a download on said stick, and instructions on how exactly you get the machine to access the thumbstick. It's not a ton but more than a DC. Ps3, OG Xbox, both require mucking with their firmware in some manner, in the case of the xbox though you'll need a duke to cut and an old usb to cut and make a usb port through that to add a thumbstick and also you need a specific game to access the stick as a save...it's a pain in the dick. PS3, either custom firmware or linux, drop the emus in either one at a time or all together in retroarch, and you're ready to go.

It's a hobby of mine, I make retro emulator boxes for fun. I've done quite a few consoles, every OS, android based, RPI based, SBC's in general, and as they piled up around my place friends started asking me about stuff for them. I'm not saying I'm an expert, but I am an experienced hobbyist so if you run into trouble don't hesitate you ask. I probably experienced it once and might even have a solution ready.

Sticks are great. I use the Neo Geo Gold X sticks 'cause I like the clicks. To be honest, I've not run into any bad sticks on the market. They're all usually a bit pricey and seem to be worth it when I get them. Only reason I use Neo Geo over say Capcom is because I never had an AES as a kid and I wanted one. I don't feel any worry I might make you waste your money by encouraging you to buy sticks, if you found a pair you like they're probably good for what you want, I've had no problems myself.

I personally don't see much difference in hardware bases. Pretty much anything runs NES very well, once you start pushing your hardware you run into problems, a PC has the best hardware, an old Pi has probably the worst, maybe an old phone, whatever, you know better than you push a 512mb device to try to play Ps2 games...it's kinda a duh. A PC can, a RPI1 cannot, but, where they both can do the same thing it will perform the same way. So, if all you care about is like NES or some such similar, then a cheap and out of date Pi works just fine for you.

Ps3 would set you probably around the DC. I'm pretty sure you can emulate a dreamcast or naomi and anything weaker or before the DC but anything after is gonna be ****. I wouldn't try a Gamecube on a Ps3....I mean I would but I'd expect that to run like ass.

If you have a modern PC, not great, just maybe a 2.5 processor and 4-8bg ram with a GPU that's not older than a decade old then I have a folder I can just upload and everything is done for you. From Wii back.

Specifically arcade titles on a Ps3 means the Ps3 will play the vast majority of them. I use FB Alpha where I can and have Mame as a backup for FB.

Final thought on this novella Mame is the number one emulator for arcade titles, but, no one ever points out Mame can do waaaaay more than arcade. Mame runs everything from playstation games to those Tiger electronics calculator screen games and pretty much anything in between. If you find an old obscure console, and can find roms but no emulator, try Mame, Mame probably runs it.

Sorry I went on so long, I was trying to cover a lot of bases.
        sup man do you know if retroarch with the switch will be easy? I feel like i might break my ps3 if i try this stuff lol

some of the stuff i've found for the retroarch on ps3 doesn't even have the stuff on the website anymore, and then it asks to find out if my ps3 runs this or that, and I don't even know how to check it lol. I recently just spent like $30 on some old ps1 and ps2 games from the PSN lol

Comment

Working...
        X