Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do Some Boxers Have Weak Bodies Like Some Have Weak Chins?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Some Boxers Have Weak Bodies Like Some Have Weak Chins?

I was thinking about this when I was watching the Machadu fight. Is there something in the make up of Machadu's and Kovalev's body that makes them susceptible to body shot?

Also, I know there's exercises to strengthen your mid-section, but is it possible to train to absorb body shots without getting hurt as much? Is it avoidable....could Machadu have survived if he'd strengthened his stomach? It's kind of depressing to think I could have a weak body regardless of training.

Yea absolutely. Astute observation if you are new to the sport. Some boxers just cant take punches to the body. Like liam smith va canelo for example, smith was getting hit just as hard on his chin yet collapsed from a well placed shot. Genetics have some play in it as some peoples liver can take more damage than others.

To fix it you can do ab workouts. Like I believe GGG is vulnerable to the body unlike his iron chin but he compensates by doing i sane ab workouts so his midsection is protected well by muscle. Muhammmad ali did this perfectly training for foreman. You can see him sitting in the corner having a heavyweight use his body as a heavybag and that was used to give ali iron ribs by causing micro fractures in the bone that when they heal they grow back harder and calcified. Its difficult but can be done

Comment

James Tennyson has one of the weakest body’s I’ve seen

Comment

Thurman doesn’t like it to the body

Comment

Probably yes...like a poster before me said- James Tennyson. He is very fragile if you go to his body

Comment

As Heavyhands said, it seems to be a thing.

But there seem to be many variables to it. Kovalev had been such a killer with his skillset and power that he likely never had to worry much about body punches. I’m sure his midsection is strong as is the core of most boxers especially at the top level with top trainers. Kovalev just isnt used to taking it to the body because no one has been able to punish it. Some people just naturally can’t cope with hits to the body the way some can’t to the chin.

Some people the chin isnt just a combination of what youre born with but also largey a will thing as well as skill (vision: seeing the punches, naturally absorbing pubches better due to a better physiological response in the way you brace, etc etc). It’s not a coincidence that iron chinned men tend to also have iron wills. And many of these iron willed men ALSO take body shots well and also, not coincidentally, have strong work ethics.

Similarly, I think body shots are like chins but I think wills are much more important.

Like heavyhands mentioned about GGG. It’s always been said he doesn’t take body shots as well but the guy is an animal in the gym with his training. More importantly though, look to the Canelo fight where GGG took what can only be described as a savage body beating. He looked ready to throw up but GGG has an iron will and unshakable resolve. Some guys’ body normally gets paralyzed by the pain and their brain shuts down and they cant function and others just simply dont have the pain tolerance or will. But others *can* work through it.

You can train your body and your muscles all you want but you can’t change or train your organs in that manner. A guy with the mental fortitude of GGG or Ali have both the mental fortitude to take the punishment in the fight but to also take it in the gym and mentally prepare themselves for it.
            Last edited by NearHypnos; 02-23-2019, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NearHypnos View Post
              It’s not a coincidence that iron chinned men tend to also have iron wills. And many of these iron willed men ALSO take body shots well and also, not coincidentally, have strong work ethics.

Brilliant observation, never put 1 and 1 together but it makes sense

Comment

Of course. Boxers clearly differ from boxer to boxer as to how much punishment they can take there no matter how much they strengthen their mid section. Just as they differ in how well they take head shots no matter how much the strengthen their neck. You can see the difference if you watch their fights. Thurman for instance doesn't take body punches very well.

Comment

Working...
                X