Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Hearn Warns Ruiz of Legal Battle if Rematch Terms Not Honored

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ake-Dawg View Post
    I don't think anyone would argue that SA is safer than Mexico. Especially for a Catholic Mexican. As for the arguments...Ruiz lawyers wouldn't have to convince a majority...just the jury of 12.
    Firstly if this goes to court its not going in front of a jury, its a civil not criminal matter and would be in front a judge held by the standard of balance of probability not beyond a reasonable doubt.

Secondly, in regards to Mexico vs Saudi Arabia, the homicide rate in Mexico is 24.8 per 100,000, 19th highest in the world, Saudi Arabia is 1.3 per 100,000, 169th in the world. So you are almost 20 times more likely to be murdered in Mexico than Saudi Arabia. BTW the US is 5.3 per 100,000, i.e. 4 times worse than SA.

That is not going to be a good argument to put in front of a judge for breaking a contract. Again, he has some leverage but he doesn't want this going to court.

Comment

• Originally posted by Queen_Leia View Post
      I agree with every word you said except for one thing....your statement doesn't go far enough.

Joshua will be allowed to fight because Ruiz is breaking the contract with the promoter (Hearn) not Joshua. Ruiz career will effectively be on hold while Joshua and Hearn can continue to earn money in Boxing.
      True. It’s pretty funny reading these comments with people thinking a valid legal argument is “that place is scary.”
      Ruiz is represented by Haymon, who has been in the business for decades. He can’t claim he didn’t have adequate representation. If Haymon didn’t tell him the ramifications of signing the agreement that’s between him and Haymon. Even making 200k a fight he had the means to have an outside lawyer review the contract independently.
      In the end I think this is just posturing 5 months away from the fight. Hearn will probably up his pay and the fight will get made.

Comment

• Originally posted by QballLobo View Post
        Try and keep up. AJ is honoring the language of the contract to fight Ruiz next.
        Ruiz signed a deal to make $9 million and let Hearn/DAZN pick the venue. DAZN and Hearn have adhered to that.
        Ruiz being the one taken to court has the burden of proving why the contract isn’t valid and why he shouldn’t have to abide by it.
        A court wouldn’t punish AJ by making him wait out and lose money in a sport where you have limited shelf life. There are numerous precedents that would allow AJ to fight while the courts do their process.
        Any lawyer would tell Ruiz this as well since he doesn’t have a compelling case and is more likely to lose in court.
        What are those precedents? Again...Ruiz isn't unwilling to fight, he is challenging the venue. So the court is gonna let AJ violate the contract while deciding whether or not Hearn is honoring the contract by trying to stage the fight in Saudi Arabia? Nope!

Comment

• Originally posted by andocom View Post
          Firstly if this goes to court its not going in front of a jury, its a civil not criminal matter and would be in front a judge held by the standard of balance of probability not beyond a reasonable doubt.

Secondly, in regards to Mexico vs Saudi Arabia, the homicide rate in Mexico is 24.8 per 100,000, 19th highest in the world, Saudi Arabia is 1.3 per 100,000, 169th in the world. So you are almost 20 times more likely to be murdered in Mexico than Saudi Arabia. BTW the US is 5.3 per 100,000, i.e. 4 times worse than SA.

That is not going to be a good argument to put in front of a judge for breaking a contract. Again, he has some leverage but he doesn't want this going to court.
          General homicide stats aren't the deciding factor. Read my other posts, I'm not presuming he would win, but a loss in court is not guaranteed. You guys need to read up on duty of care in tort law.

Comment

• Originally posted by Queen_Leia View Post
            Ruiz will be the big loser even in a drawn out legal fight because while he's in court fighting and his career on hold until the legal battle is over, he will be paying for lawyers and not generating income to pay for his expensive jewelry, cars and his moms house.

Ruiz will also be stripped due to inactivity and Joshua will probably win a vacant belt or two from Ruiz being stripped.

Joshua can continue on with his career, fighting, selling out arena and making money. Hearn will continue to promote fights and make money while the legal process plays itself out. The person that will be on hold will be Ruiz.
            Joshua would have to fight at least 3 fights to get 2 of the belts back. One of those fights would be versus Usyk who is the WBO mandatory. The WBA is so far away from stripping Ruiz its ridiculous. When is the Charr Bryan fight happening again? IBF would likely be the Pulev Kownacki winner...if Kownacki...good luck getting a voluntary fight.

Not sure why you guys operate under the assumption that AJ gets to fight for the vacant belts just cuz the rematch is delayed. He literally has to wait till Ruiz breaks the contract or he breaks it himself....or a US court severs the contract and awards him damages.

Comment

General homicide stats aren't the deciding factor. Read my other posts, I'm not presuming he would win, but a loss in court is not guaranteed. You guys need to read up on duty of care in tort law.
              At this point I'm guessing it might be you that needs to read up on the legal stuff.

Now I'm not a lawyer but did contract and tort law subjects at university, this situation would fall under contract law not tort law as there is a contract, tort law applies when there is no contract, that is the primary difference between the two.

Comment

• Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
                Hearn priority is getting the fight first ,if the belts aren't involved it wont matter but replacing Ruiz will be no problem if that how it goes .

Ruiz doesn't have leverage ,the belts in fact are what ties him more to the fight unless he gives them up they will just be put up for another Joshua opponent ,you cant be that thick to not understand Ruiz will be blocked from other fights either way can you ? So explain to me this leverage he has on a time count down right now by the IBF one of many to come ? lol
                Ruiz is the guy that knocked AJ out, that’s leverage right there. AJ needs/wants that redemption shot. Ruiz doesn’t “HAVE” to do anything. If it was so simple and easy this woulda been sorted in a day. He can get stripped which will waste a lot of time, and who knows how the belts will get scattered. He could take a year off, claim an injury, personal issues. Retire. He can disrupt and delay to the point it costs AJ more, remember this fight is worth a lot less to Ruiz financially. AJ would have to take other fights, risks, for less esteem. How long to track all the titles down again? More people to negotiate with. All why ur not fighting the one guy who can get u ur redemption and all the belts back in one swoop. Ruiz could threatened to condemn Saudi publicly. There’s a lot of eyes on this. Would the Sauds be happy knowing that they are paying all this money to AJ who refuses to buy Ruiz’s Cooperation in the promotion or even silence with any of it? He wants to see if he can be paid to cooperate.

Comment

What are those precedents? Again...Ruiz isn't unwilling to fight, he is challenging the venue. So the court is gonna let AJ violate the contract while deciding whether or not Hearn is honoring the contract by trying to stage the fight in Saudi Arabia? Nope!
                  Haha your level of understanding is so basic it’s amusing.
                  Again, multiple boxing events have been held and sanctioned in S.A. Those fighters miraculously lived so Ruiz’s “I’m scared of that place” is a nothing argument.
                  Ruiz could have easily hired a lawyer outside of Haymon’s advisement to review the contract if he was so scared of certain places. Even someone making $200k a year has the means for that.
                  And if you think a court is going to put AJ’s career on hold because Ruiz won’t honor what he signed and has no legal standing to change that your dumber than you sound.
                  Boxer’s have a limited time to maximize earning. I could easily argue in court why AJ should be able to still earn a living and shouldn’t be punished for Ruiz welching on what he agreed to.
                  If the contract states the purse and that DAZN/Hearn choose the venue that’s cut and dry. Hearn has a stronger argument that he has a responsibility to his guy to get the maximum site fee vs Ruiz not wanting to go to S.A.
                  Any competent judge would rule Ruiz has to honor what he signed but may throw him a bone and say Hearn has to pay for extra security.

Comment

• Hmmm...so there were 2 contracts.

One for the fight and one for the rematch.

That Ruiz had to sign the second before he got the fight suggests it wasn't a voluntary rematch contract and could be challenged in court depending on sanctioning bodies sidestepping mandatories to allow it.

Seems like Fast Eddie jumped the gun and didn't have his ducks lined up to start with.

Being strong armed or blackmailed hardly speaks to a voluntary choice.

Comment

• A lot of bull**** in this thread concerning Saudi to have advisories against travel there due to security risks. There IS a travel advisory in place, but only for travel to towns on the border with Yemen. It has the same level of travel advisory as the UK, France, and Germany. Mexico has a far more comprehensive and farther ranging travel advisory against it and North Korea has a travel advisory 2 levels higher.

Comment

Working...
                      X