No announcement yet.

Matt Serra subdues drunk

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
    Love Serra. One of the few famous Long Islanders we're not ashamed of.
    You're not ashamed of Chris Weidman for taking out Anderson Silva are you?

Comment

Originally posted by VegasMichael View Post
      I lost money on both of those fights. Damn Silva!

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
        I lost money on both of those fights. Damn Silva!
        I don't know what was going through Silva's mind his last few fights while champion. He acted very strangely. The dude was one of the best all time in my opinion. Although I think Dan Henderson could have beaten him in their fight had he not decided to slug it out with a great striker like Anderson was.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
          The Serra brothers were doing jiu-jitsu even before it became mainstream.

Back then Gracie academies had open-door policies in terms of accepting challenges. Thus challenge matches happened frequently. Him and his brothers had a lot of them when they opened up their gym. They never lost, and they had reputations for talking trash while they whipped up on people.

Yeah, Matt Serra was a world class grappler in his prime.

It's too bad he fell in love with his punching power and neglected his ground game in his later years. But it was his punching power that made him a former UFC WW champ.

Comment

No. Because he beat him fairly. But I am ashamed of people from here like serial killer Joel Rifkin, Joey Buttafuoco, Long Island Railroad shooter Colin Ferguson, Lindsey Lohan and annoying Rosie O Donnell.

Comment

I don't know what was going through Silva's mind his last few fights while champion. He acted very strangely. The dude was one of the best all time in my opinion. Although I think Dan Henderson could have beaten him in their fight had he not decided to slug it out with a great striker like Anderson was.
              Probably the best striker of all time. Who do you think the best ever is then? Fedor? GSP?

Comment

Probably the best striker of all time. Who do you think the best ever is then? Fedor? GSP?
                Couldn't pick just one, I'm afraid. So many variables. Quality of competition, what era were they in, what body(Pride, UFC, etc).

A small list in my opinion would include Jon Jones(we're both from Rochester but the guy is a wrecking machine regardless of his drug issues in and out of the ring).

Matt Hughes. Not much of a striker but he was a bulldozer and knew how to weather the storm when in trouble.

GSP and Anderson Silva, of course. Probably the greatest MMA fight to never happen would be those two. Wish they could have fought at a catch weight. Would have been legendary.

B.J. Penn. Great all around fighter. His skill level is exceeded by no one. He wasn't a fit fighter though. A lot of his losses came because he got gassed.

Fedor. What can you say? A scary whirlwind of a machine. A V-12 chainsaw with nitrous.

Bas Rutten. Damn could this guy fight. A lot of the younger MMA fans never heard of him or saw him do battle but Jesus could he rock and roll. Lacking in ground technique, though, which is how Ken Shamrock got him both times.

Comment

Couldn't pick just one, I'm afraid. So many variables. Quality of competition, what era were they in, what body(Pride, UFC, etc).

A small list in my opinion would include Jon Jones(we're both from Rochester but the guy is a wrecking machine regardless of his drug issues in and out of the ring).

Matt Hughes. Not much of a striker but he was a bulldozer and knew how to weather the storm when in trouble.

GSP and Anderson Silva, of course. Probably the greatest MMA fight to never happen would be those two. Wish they could have fought at a catch weight. Would have been legendary.

B.J. Penn. Great all around fighter. His skill level is exceeded by no one. He wasn't a fit fighter though. A lot of his losses came because he got gassed.

Fedor. What can you say? A scary whirlwind of a machine. A V-12 chainsaw with nitrous.

Bas Rutten. Damn could this guy fight. A lot of the younger MMA fans never heard of him or saw him do battle but Jesus could he rock and roll. Lacking in ground technique, though, which is how Ken Shamrock got him both times.
                  All good picks and all in my top 10, as well. I lean towards Silva at #1 these days, after waffling between him and Fedor, as his striking technique and timing were top notch in his prime. I remember sites calling him the Sugar Ray Robinson of MMA when he was on top. But, Robinson actually also held the title when he moved up as well, but still a pretty good description. I guess that would make Fedor the Joe Louis then, with his longevity at the top of the heavyweight division.

Comment

All good picks and all in my top 10, as well. I lean towards Silva at #1 these days, after waffling between him and Fedor, as his striking technique and timing were top notch in his prime. I remember sites calling him the Sugar Ray Robinson of MMA when he was on top. But, Robinson actually also held the title when he moved up as well, but still a pretty good description. I guess that would make Fedor the Joe Louis then, with his longevity at the top of the heavyweight division.
                    Liddell wasn't that bad, Vitor in his prime when those rapid hands would explode.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                      Liddell wasn't that bad, Vitor in his prime when those rapid hands would explode.
                      Whose your pick for all time #1? GSP?

Comment

Working...
                      X