Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Energy drinks: What are the health risks?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Energy drinks: What are the health risks?

Caffeine can cause major health conditions, including problems with heart and blood vessels, the National Institutes of Health has warned.

One couple apparently learned that the hard way when the husband was left with a hole in his skull and suffered a brain hemorrhage after what doctors said was “excessive energy drink consumption,” his wife claimed.

The number of energy drink-related emergency room visits doubled between 2007 and 2011, especially among people over the age of 40, according to the NIH.

What are some risks associated with energy drinks?

Energy drinks “can be dangerous because large amounts of caffeine may cause serious heart rhythm, blood flow and blood pressure problems,” NIH has warned.

Researchers with the American Heart Association have warned that energy drinks can be “life threatening” – especially for those with already high blood pressure or cardiac issues.

Energy drinks can also disrupt sleep patterns, cause heart palpitations and anxiety, contribute to digestive programs, increase blood pressure and lead to dehydration, according to the NIH.

ENERGY DRINKS COULD INCREASE RISK OF COCAINE USE, STUDY FINDS

The drinks have led to death. Earlier this year, a South Carolina teenager died after consuming an excessive amount of caffeine in a short amount of time.

Children with still-developing cardiovascular and nervous systems are also at risk as caffeine could harm them. The American Academy of Pediatrics said children should “never” consume energy drinks.

Is mixing alcohol and energy drinks especially dangerous?
    Experts warn against mixing energy drinks and alcohol as it may inhibit young adults’ ability to tell their level of intoxication. The NIH estimated that about 25 percent of college students mix alcohol and energy drinks and binge-drink “significantly more” than others.

What ingredients are commonly found in energy drinks?
    Caffeine and sugar are ingredients typically found in energy drinks, according to the University of Maryland’s Legal Resource Center for Public Health Policy. The center said that the drinks contain “large amounts of sugar comparable to sodas and fruit drinks,” as well as artificial sweeteners.

WHY ENERGY DRINKS ARE HARMING YOUR KIDS

Taurine, an amino acid, is also often found in energy drinks, the center said. It’s added as a “caffeine adjuvant” which aids the effects of caffeine. Other common ingredients – guarana, kola nuts and yerba matè – also can contain caffeine or other caffeine stimulants, the center found.

What are some alternatives to energy drinks?
    To stay energized without the use of an energy drink, Villanova University recommends eating a balanced breakfast and foods with soy. The school also recommends drinking water and green tea.

Energy drinks generally have way too much sugar. Caffeine is actually supposed to be anti-liver fibrotic and anti-carcinogenic inhibiting cancer...good things but you only need 2-3 cups a day (250mgs). Taurine is what cause the the post energy drink crash/fatigue and is something I take before bed with melatonin to help sleep. It definitely has no place in an energy drink. I don't use them and just prefer a good old fashion cup of coffee or 2.

Comment

It's great and I feel very happy

Comment

Originally posted by jaded View Post
        Energy drinks generally have way too much sugar. Caffeine is actually supposed to be anti-liver fibrotic and anti-carcinogenic inhibiting cancer...good things but you only need 2-3 cups a day (250mgs). Taurine is what cause the the post energy drink crash/fatigue and is something I take before bed with melatonin to help sleep. It definitely has no place in an energy drink. I don't use them and just prefer a good old fashion cup of coffee or 2.
        I've actually read about people having heart attacks from too much red bull.

Comment

Yeah I can't stand energy drinks. I never got into them. Way too much sugar.

I do use pre workout from time to time, which really isn't that much better. Pretty much an energy drink minus the sugar.

Most days I just stick with plain old black coffee. No cream or sugar. No unnecessary fancy ****.

Comment

Originally posted by b morph View Post
            Yeah I can't stand energy drinks. I never got into them. Way too much sugar.

I do use pre workout from time to time, which really isn't that much better. Pretty much an energy drink minus the sugar.

Most days I just stick with plain old black coffee. No cream or sugar. No unnecessary fancy ****.
            I was shocked the first time I went to bar and saw how many people mix Redbull with all sorts of hard alcohol, like vodka.

Comment

Caffeine is a poison, that's why your body releases adrenaline to get rid of it.

I still use it he for workouts though, just not Any other time. Energy drinks are terrible, these young kids who grew u drinking them and are cracked out on them are gonna have heart problems.

I used to be cracked out on caffeine, waking up and not needing it is such a better way to live. Coffee is also kinda nasty.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                I was shocked the first time I went to bar and saw how many people mix Redbull with all sorts of hard alcohol, like vodka.
                It's crazy because I don't even think they taste good! The amount of sugar and added stuff in it just makes you feel like crap.

Comment

If an energy drink kills you your DNA should probably be weeded out from the superior humans gene pool I'd argue.

Comment

This is all about energy drinks which have a much higher concentration of caffeine and sugar than other sources. Coffee and Tea is beneficial for your health in moderation. Anything taken in excess is harmful, even water.

Comment

Working...
                    X