Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're you born an azzhole and do you come here to work on your craft?

Did Larry Holmes frighten you when you were a child last month or did he beat up a hero of yours?

Why all the hate over some athlete you don't even know!

Your a sad little fellow very needy too! Get off the net for a while and try to get your life moving in a more positive direction, good luck.

Ray

Comment

I used to comfortably pick Holmes in this matchup but man, it's painfully obvious that Holmes was no Ali. And Foreman in his prime was a lot more technical than he's given credit for.

Nevertheless Holmes had all the goods to win. The skills, the heart, the conditioning and smarts. I see him getting decked several times in this fight though, and that would make it tough to win clearly on points.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.MojoRisin' View Post

Holmes would still probably put on a clinic. His jab was still powerful and had terrific snap plus he was at the smartest stage of his career.
        MY two cents again: that is all true regrading Holmes (II) but his legs wouldn't have been there for 12 rounds. Second half of the fight he's standing flat-footed and then he has a problem with Foreman (II).

Holmes (I)? Yea, he puts on a clinic; he moves for 12 rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey-Louis View Post
          MY two cents again: that is all true regrading Holmes (II) but his legs wouldn't have been there for 12 rounds. Second half of the fight he's standing flat-footed and then he has a problem with Foreman (II).

Holmes (I)? Yea, he puts on a clinic; he moves for 12 rounds.
          Imo Old Foreman just couldn't pull the trigger enough to take advantage of that.

Comment

Imo Old Foreman just couldn't pull the trigger enough to take advantage of that.
            Is it fair to split old Foreman's career in half?

The old Foreman who fought Holyfield could pull the trigger; the old Foreman who fought Briggs (or maybe even by Moore) couldn't.

I thought the Holyfield fight was old Foreman's best fight. I believe at the time there were only handful of HWs fighting who could have beaten Foreman that night.

Comment

--- Whooped all the mojo and conditioning off Mr Field that left him holding on for dear life the last few rds.

Fat Lar who used to be skinny needed a sharp elbow to slice open Field to keep him off.

Big difference in class with George superior talent though Lar had better thumbs.

Comment

The old Foreman who fought Holyfield could pull the trigger; the old Foreman who fought Briggs (or maybe even by Moore) couldn't.

I thought the Holyfield fight was old Foreman's best fight. I believe at the time there were only handful of HWs fighting who could have beaten Foreman that night.
                I thought old foreman beat Briggs pretty wide.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                  --- Whooped all the mojo and conditioning off Mr Field that left him holding on for dear life the last few rds.
                  Really? Because the film shows Holyfield piecing Foreman up.

Fat Lar who used to be skinny
                  You're calling Holmes fat when compared to comeback Foreman? Lmfao. What's Foreman? Obese?

needed a sharp elbow to slice open Field to keep him off.
                  Foreman couldn't keep Holyfield off of him. You realize Foreman LOST that fight right?

Big difference in class with George superior talent though Lar had better thumbs.
                  Holmes definitely was of superior talent. He ruled the heavyweight division for an entire era, fought well into his 50s, consistently beat a much higher level of talent, and was much smarter than Foreman all around.

Comment

Well I can't change your beliefs about that but I can just put mine forward.

Old Foreman-Holmes is definitely a close match up.

Comment

George's Achilles heel was very specifically a fighter like Holmes. Stand up boxer with a great jab and movement when he needed to move. Prime vs prime Holmes does what Young and Ali did...box smartly and gain control as rounds go by. After rounds 5-7 the bouts practically over as George loses steam. In a 15 round bout Foreman gets stopped by round 12.

Comment

Working...
                      X