Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Henry Armstrong- Top 5 P4P or overrated due to romanticism?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
    Well you can get a great idea of his style, his conditioning his chin etc. Then its pretty easy to asses his resume because his best opponents all have footage available.

You can also read testimony from contempories of the time. You can see where his opponents were ranked. You can see how many lineal champs he beat. How many hall of famers.

Better to have been there for sure, but not that difficult to get a handle on his career
    Even if you do all of that(which most don't), whatever handle you get is not good enough to accurately compare them to modern day fighters that we've actually seen with our own eyes in the time of modern technology.

Comment

When we talk about resumes, Armstrong's was one of the best. Only fighter to hold titles in three weight classes simultaneously. Fought over ten hall of fame fighters, most of them on multiple occasions. Only KO'd twice in over 180 fights.

Comment

Originally posted by john l View Post
        I agree how can u rate champs unless u have seen top 10 and how can u rate them unless u have seen all top 20/gatekeepers
        My opinion is the minority I get it. But I don't do greatest of all time list. I do greatest that I have seen. But carry on

Comment

Originally posted by john l View Post
          yea srr would have been a bum now at 147-154 lmao
          SRR was garbage compared to today's boxers technically. I say he wouldn't crack the top 20.

Comment

His run from around 1936-1940 along was better than most careers. That alone would put him in just about any top 10 (probably top 5) ever. Also, the fact he simultaneously held 37% of the championships available in boxing and was a draw away from 50% in a golden era.

That is an all-time great and probably enough to be #2 of all-time.

Comment

Originally posted by DramaShow View Post
              overrated. the guy lost 21 times and 9 draws in an era when the sport wasnt even an international sport. how can you lose to that many domestic fighters yet be considered one of the best of all time?
              you kidding right

Comment

"SRR was garbage compared to today's boxers technically. I say he wouldn't crack the top 20"...................

Now here's someone who knows NOTHING about boxing. Methods and techniques are somethings that this posters has no back ground in. I have never heard of anyone calling the HoF, ATG, P4P king a ...BUM!

I guess here's another kid looking for attention by stating the most outrageous BS on this site.

As for Armstrong he defended the Welter Title more times than lil" Floyd had welter bouts! Hank(19 times) (Floyd 12)

Three titles (without a "junior weight") at the same time and defending them at the same time is easily the most impressive accomplishment concerning titles.
                Everyone saw what a club fighter from South America gave Mayweather imagine an ATG who's nick name was
                "Homicide" would give him?

Anyone who thinks theres NEW "methods & techniques" in this current era that trumps Armstrongs era by all means please list them!!!

As for Armstrong's losses via stoppage they were his first few bouts as a teenager void of an amateur career to learn from.
                This guy would beat the hell out of guys today he would be an Aaron Prior on fire! He had excellent technique as a pressure fighter, very good power and a motor that is never out of gas!
                An all around top ten P4P King!!!!!

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                  "SRR was garbage compared to today's boxers technically. I say he wouldn't crack the top 20"...................

Now here's someone who knows NOTHING about boxing. Methods and techniques are somethings that this posters has no back ground in. I have never heard of anyone calling the HoF, ATG, P4P king a ...BUM!

I guess here's another kid looking for attention by stating the most outrageous BS on this site.

As for Armstrong he defended the Welter Title more times than lil" Floyd had welter bouts! Hank(19 times) (Floyd 12)

Three titles (without a "junior weight") at the same time and defending them at the same time is easily the most impressive accomplishment concerning titles.
                  Everyone saw what a club fighter from South America gave Mayweather imagine an ATG who's nick name was
                  "Homicide" would give him?

Anyone who thinks theres NEW "methods & techniques" in this current era that trumps Armstrongs era by all means please list them!!!

As for Armstrong's losses via stoppage they were his first few bouts as a teenager void of an amateur career to learn from.
                  This guy would beat the hell out of guys today he would be an Aaron Prior on fire! He had excellent technique as a pressure fighter, very good power and a motor that is never out of gas!
                  An all around top ten P4P King!!!!!

Ray
                  agree about most of what u said 100% except Floyd dude don't let hate and his dumb mouth blind you that boy could fight in ANY era and be champ

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                    He was the greatest of his day. I think a few more modern boxers his weight might beat him. The longer ago these legendary boxers fought the harder it is for any more recent boxers to beat them in fantasy fights. There is romanticism involved. Many like to believe boxers about the same age as themselves were the best. Boxing has improved in the last 80 years. Boxing is a much more world wide sport now than then. The population of the world is several times greater. More boxers means more chances of great boxers. Training methods and skills have probably improved. When I see film of the great old timers they usually don't look as sharp as the best modern boxers.
                    Completely false.

Boxing historian Mike Silver writes about this and there were more boxers in New York City alone in the 1920s than there are in the entire world today.

The amount of boxers in the world fell dramatically after World War II, and actually reached it's low point in the '80s.

There used to be about 60,000 fighters and now there's about 14,000 worldwide.

Comment

Originally posted by The D3vil View Post
                      Completely false.

Boxing historian Mike Silver writes about this and there were more boxers in New York City alone in the 1920s than there are in the entire world today.

The amount of boxers in the world fell dramatically after World War II, and actually reached it's low point in the '80s.

There used to be about 60,000 fighters and now there's about 14,000 worldwide.
                      not sure of exact numbers but he is right

Comment

Working...
                      X