No announcement yet.

Winky Wright vs. Felix Sturm being discussed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winky Wright vs. Felix Sturm being discussed

Winky Wright made a name for himself early in his career fighting in Europe, where he has had 18 bouts. He might be back soon.

Golden Boy Promotions, Wright’s promoter, is in negotiations with the handlers of veteran Felix Sturm for a fight late this year or early next year in Germany.

Sturm retained his WBA middleweight belt by narrowly outpointing Khoren Gevor on Saturday. Wright is coming off a one-sided loss to Paul Williams in April after a 21-month hiatus from boxing.

“Winky made it clear that he’d go to Germany,” said Richard Schaefer of Golden Boy. “I’ve already had conversations with Universum [Sturm’s promoter) and we’re scheduled to have further discussions (this) week. We’ll see if we can pull it off. Winky reminded me that he fought many times in Europe. He has a well-known name internationally as well as in the U.S.

"We realize Sturm is champion; obviously, he’ll get the champion’s privileges. It’s definitely a doable deal.”

Wright also told Schaefer that he’d love to fight RING middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik.

“I know Bob Arum [Pavlik’s promoter] is on vacation,” Schaefer said. “Winky made it clear to me he’s interested as well in fighting Pavlik. His first choice is Sturm, though.”

Golden Boy had considered having Wright fight on the Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Juan Manuel Marquez undercard on Sept. 19 but Wright is getting married on Aug. 1.
    By Michael Rosenthal

I'll have the welcome mat ready for Wink if he comes over here......my boy USS know how I do!!!

Comment

Williams beats Margarito. Yet Margarito gets a shot at Cotto for a title
      Williams beats Winky. Yet Winky gets a shot at Strum for a title

Undoubtedly the most feared man in boxing

Comment

Originally posted by Nubian King View Post

Absolutely 100%. Noone will touch the guy - in my eyes he is the true champ from 147-160 until someone is MAN enough to step in the ring and prove otherwise.

Comment

WINKY WRIGHT will OJ SIMPSON , STURM s ass!

Comment

Originally posted by Nubian King View Post

I thought Pwill was finally going to fight Dzinziruk at 154???? About time IMO since he has ducked him for so long.

Pwill is not a middleweight.

Comment

anyone get the feeling winky is getting to that point where everyone wants to use him as a stepping stone?

Comment

i can see why winky wants to take on sturm. i think williams was just a bad match up for winky, sturm himself didn't look his best in his last fight and im not surprised that someone saw that as an opportunity.

winky has overplayed his hand a few times at the negotiating table but here it seems as though he acknowledges that sturm is the champ and hopefully the fight gets made.

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Juice View Post
                  Absolutely 100%. Noone will touch the guy - in my eyes he is the true champ from 147-160 until someone is MAN enough to step in the ring and prove otherwise.
                  Next we will be hearing Phillips has a shot at a title at 154

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
                  I thought Pwill was finally going to fight Dzinziruk at 154???? About time IMO since he has ducked him for so long.

Pwill is not a middleweight.
                  If Williams is ducking Dziniziruk, Kessler is ducking Dawson

Paul Williams started at MW and his last fight was at MW. dumbass

Williams can fight from 147 to 160

Comment

^^^Dude, he was agreeing with you and supporting Williams you mindless ****tard.

Comment

Working...
                    X