Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did AJ/Hearn drop the ball trying to invade USA? Should they have stayed in the UK?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by W1LL View Post
    Did AJ/Hearn drop the ball trying to invade USA?

Hindsight makes geniuses of us all.

What was the thinking behind invading the US for AJ and Hearn? Chasing the big fights? Maximizing earning potential? Becoming undisputed? Fighting in the UK has been a very profitable business for AJ and Matchroom. They could have continued to do that whilst making 10s of millions per fight.

For the opponent, coming to the UK to fight AJ is a much, much taller task than facing him on neutral ground. That partisan UK crowd on home soil really cannot be over-estimated. As it turns out, seems AJ completely bottled it mentally fighting in NYC.

Seems they sacrificed a lot last night. Going forward they probably have no choice but to go abroad to take the big fights. Redemption is going to have to be sought on other fighter's terms. So much leverage for AJ/Hearn went down the drain.
    ... after AJ and Hearn actually dropped the ball trying to invade USA you came and ask if they did drop the ball...

... What answer do you expect?... "No, they didn't"?

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
      ... after AJ and Hearn actually dropped the ball trying to invade USA you came and ask if they did drop the ball...

... What answer do you expect?... "No, they didn't"?
      Well, there's 2 trains of thought:

A. It was a mistake, should have stayed in the UK cherry-picking and calling all the shots, fighting "mandatories" when it suits, etc.

B. They dared to be great and this won't affect AJ's standing TOO much. Could actually make more opponents want the fight now.

Comment

Well, there's 2 trains of thought:

A. It was a mistake, should have stayed in the UK cherry-picking and calling all the shots, fighting "mandatories" when it suits, etc.

B. They dared to be great and this won't affect AJ's standing TOO much. Could actually make more opponents want the fight now.
        I understand what you try to "imply", of course...

... "coming to America: was supposed to be good "business move"... But, imo, Hearn never had the proper idea on how deeply emotive AJ really is... I already said it here: AJ just crumbled under the pressure of stepping in the MSG ring... (the guy was "off" from the very start... but I don't thing that anyone would have had foresee this...)

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
          I understand what you try to "imply", of course...

... "coming to America: was supposed to be good "business move"... But, imo, Hearn never had the proper idea on how deeply emotive AJ really is... I already said it here: AJ just crumbled under the pressure of stepping in the MSG ring... (the guy was "off" from the very start... but I don't thing that anyone would have had foresee this...)
          I agree that he looked off. But now, I also feel he will have to return to the US to put those demons to bed.

Comment

I agree that he looked off. But now, I also feel he will have to return to the US to put those demons to bed.
            ... Man, it's much easier to "say" than to actually "do" such things... (I've seen it before: some people simply aren't the same after such a dramatic failure)...

Comment

Considering Deadspin is calling AJ the biggest fraud in boxing, I think you could say it was an epic fail.

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
                I wouldn’t want to train in Miami. Too many gorgeous women. Too much of a distraction.

You ever see where Wilder does his camps? It’s some ****ing warehouse in rural Alabama with no air conditioning. No distractions there. Just a few sweaty men and a couple fans.
                Exactly, I think you need to stay clear of women 'Even if they are only in visual sight' pumps your ego up with shallow confidence.

Surely Joshua could of chosen a better training environment in america, I think he just bought into the hype of Mami 'Seems tacky to me'.

Comment

Hindsight makes geniuses of us all.

What was the thinking behind invading the US for AJ and Hearn? Chasing the big fights? Maximizing earning potential? Becoming undisputed? Fighting in the UK has been a very profitable business for AJ and Matchroom. They could have continued to do that whilst making 10s of millions per fight.

For the opponent, coming to the UK to fight AJ is a much, much taller task than facing him on neutral ground. That partisan UK crowd on home soil really cannot be over-estimated. As it turns out, seems AJ completely bottled it mentally fighting in NYC.

Seems they sacrificed a lot last night. Going forward they probably have no choice but to go abroad to take the big fights. Redemption is going to have to be sought on other fighter's terms. So much leverage for AJ/Hearn went down the drain.
                  Making the move to fight in the US wasn't the mistake; the opponent selection was the issue.

Jarrell Miller was a turkey; 300lb moving punching bag, who could take a beating, while not hurting you with 1-2 shots.

When the turkey went down, Hearn needed to find another turkey, regardless of if they're American or not.

Michael Hunter Jr and Andy Ruiz Jr both would whoop Jarell Miller, and Hearn should've weighed that.

You can't find the next turkey, you may as well cancel the event or try to get Whyte over on 6 weeks.

Comment

Working...
                  X