Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where does De La Hoya RANK in the history of greatest jabs of all-time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It’s up there definitely one of the best and like mentioned his battle with quartey was between two of the best jabbers of the last 50 years.

Too bad these noobs don’t know ****tt about the sport so they just post nonsense like the *****es that they are.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
      Terrific jab and as he was naturally left handed, he go some serious pop into it, along with his left hook. A prime Oscar at welter was a special fighter.
      Yup

Definitely one of the greatest WW of all time.

Comment

Yes but where doe's he rank among boxings greatest cross dressers and kitchen utensil guzzlers?

Comment

Originally posted by kidbazooka View Post
          Yup

Definitely one of the greatest WW of all time.
          Truly special, if he was around today he'd make a mockery of these so called champions.

Comment

He had a very good jab and left hand in general. He did get outjabbed by Quartey who I’d definitely consider a better jabber.

I don’t think of De La Hoya when thinking of the greatest jabbers in history. I think of the following in that category - Larry Holmes, Harold Johnson, Marvin Hagler, Lennox Lewis, Sonny Liston, Tommy Hearns, Sugar Ray Robinson, Jose Napoles, Ken Buchanan, Ricardo Lopez, Marco Antonio Barrera, Winky Wright, Tommy Loughran, Fighting Harada, Ike Quartey, Benny Leonard, Joe Gans, George Benton, Gene Tunney, Rafael Marquez, Joe Louis, Bob Foster, Archie Moore, Curtis Cokes etc;
            Last edited by chrisJS; 12-22-2018, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Truly special, if he was around today he'd make a mockery of these so called champions.
              I don’t think he’d beat Crawford. Once Bud turned lefty he’d have a hell of a time because he sucked vs. southpaws and could never handle speed that well.

He was an excellent welterweight but his two best wins were very controversial (Quartey & Whitaker) and he never really separates himself. I’m not sure he’d rank in the top 20 at 147 historically and if he did it would be right at the bottom of the list.

Comment

Oscar had a great and powerful jab and a mediocre right. He is left handed but boxes from a right handed stance putting his power hand up front and giving him a powerful left jab and left hook and a right hand that was just average. Sonny Liston, Trinidad and Quartey were also converted southpaws with powerful jabs and left hooks. Liston and Trinidad also had a great right hand that Quartey and Oscar dd not have. Oscar's jab was excellent and among the best.

Comment

Not good enough to avoid being nullified and countered by the true TBE

Comment

I agree

Most of these cats around today have beaten nothing but c level comp and all of a sudden these noobs think they’ll hang with guys like Oscar. Lol

Oscar beats any of the so called top ww today.

Comment

Not very high. I keep hearing about how great de la hoya was then i watch his big fights and he lost the majority of them, or deserved to lose them anyway. He was an elite fighter at the time but he wasnt all time great standard by any criteria

Comment

Working...
                      X