No announcement yet.

In the history of boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Loque-san View Post
    Comparing resumes from different eras doesn't say much. The game has changed. Current pro boxers seem to step up in competition and fight for world titles quicker than in the past overall.

That Chinese light flyweight Lu Bin fought for a world title in his second pro fight - like Loma - and came up short. But it wasn't really his second pro fight, because he'd had many pro bouts under the WSB - like Loma - and APB. Uzbek super bantamweight prospect Akhmadaliev may fight for the WBA title next and he only has five pro bouts. And these guys are nowhere near as good as Lomachenko.

After beating Russell Jr. it was obvious that Lomacheko was going to quickly build a solid resume because when you are a world champ fighting on US soil and on premium cable TV, you must fight decent opponents at the very least. But as I said, we have to compare him with fighters of his era. Looking at the very recent history or future gives a better perspective on Loma's achievements.

Usyk has three more fights but arguably has a better resume. Beating Glowacki, Huck, Briedis, Gassiev and Bellew in their own backyard looks terrific.
    The bold: Way better actually.

Usyk is amazing and sought stiff challenges in the short time he's been a pro. I'm not even sold on Gary Russell, either. Skilled but nothing too special.

And let's not kid ourselves pretending that a long ass amateur record doesn't prepare you to start the pro in mid competition level, unlike another kid who is just starting with no amateur record. Let's put things into perspective please.

Green K for the bold.
    Last edited by BoxingIsGreat; 02-11-2019, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Maybe Davey Moore (Duran just destroyed him) ?

Comment

Originally posted by Floyd is TBE View Post
        Lomachencko lost to Salido
        Floyd vs castillo 1 was every bit as close as loma vs Salido, the decision was just favourable to one and not the other. But I bet all that matters to you is that it’s a loss on paper.

Comment

Working...
        X