Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Punching power is overrated whilst offensive skills are underrated for KO artists

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Punching power is overrated whilst offensive skills are underrated for KO artists

Recently, it appears from reading and hearing from what most individuals say / write, that 'boxing skills' are only referred to as defensive skills whilst offensive skills (skills required to KO opponents or inflict destructive damage upon the opponent) is relegated to 'brawling' or 'luck', to the point where it's not given the same credit as defensive skills.

So I ask theses very simple questions:

1) Doesn't the ability to win boxing bouts
    consistently via knockout / stoppage / inflicting destructive damage upon the opponents require 'boxing skills', as much as it requires 'boxing skills' to evade punches or not get hit by punches from the opponent?

2) Is punching power alone enough to win bouts consistently in that manner?

The so called 'power punchers' who are knockout artists, a lot of the time aren't even specially power punchers. Their natural physical strength / power isn't any better than many of the other boxers who aren't knockout artists. However, they are able to win more of their bouts by KO because they have superior offensive skills. Such as:

1) Better power punching technique / mechanics.

2) Better power punching accuracy.

3) Better power punching timing.

4) Better ability to set up knockout punches.

5) Better ability to apply pressure and cut the ring off.

So the question is, does someone like Golovkin (a knockout artist) really have more punching power than someone like Andre Ward, or is it his offensive skills that are simply superior?

You're like 3 or 4 years late but yeah recently.. all I gotta say is if you saw Lara's fight this passed weekend and thought that was superior ydsab

Comment

Originally posted by A.K View Post
      You're like 3 or 4 years late but yeah recently.. all I gotta say is if you saw Lara's fight this passed weekend and thought that was superior ydsab
      If you compare lara's win this weekend to something like Wladimir Klitschko's win against Chris Byrd or Ruslan Chagaev, then it is obviously inferior in terms of 'boxing skills' displayed. Likewise, it is also inferior compared to Gennady Golovkin's win against David Lemeiux.

Comment

You need great technique to land and place the punch that ko's another boxer so yeah skills are often overlooked with KO artists

Comment

Yeah I agree with that view point.

Even supposed non-punchers score 1 punch KO's now and again with a perfect shot.

Who would be an example of wildly inaccurate KO artist? It is a contradiction in terms, really. An inaccurate power puncher would probably be someone like Sakio Bika or something. That lad would be chucking shots that started from his ankles. If he ever landed one of those bad boys I'm fairly sure he would've sent the recipient to Mars.

Comment

Originally posted by Ganstaz003 View Post
            If you compare lara's win this weekend to something like Wladimir Klitschko's win against Chris Byrd or Ruslan Chagaev, then it is obviously inferior in terms of 'boxing skills' displayed. Likewise, it is also inferior compared to Gennady Golovkin's win against David Lemeiux.
            Wait.. are you implying ggg is some genius??

Comment

Originally posted by A.K View Post
              Wait.. are you implying ggg is some genius??
              I'm implying that winning by KO or by inflicting more damage upon the opponent, whilst getting hit by the opponent the same amount or less, takes more 'boxing skills' than winning by decision whilst inflicting less damage upon the opponent, whilst getting hit by similar amount of punches by the opponent.

Gennady Golovkin vs David Lemeiux = Golovkin rarely got hit, but destroyed Lemieux's face and stopped him.

Erislandy Lara vs Terrell Gausher = Lara rarely got hit, but couldn't KO Gausha, nor did he damage him as much.

So you tell me what was the more impressive display of 'boxing skills?

Comment

Originally posted by Ganstaz003 View Post
                Recently, it appears from reading and hearing from what most individuals say / write, that 'boxing skills' are only referred to as defensive skills whilst offensive skills (skills required to KO opponents or inflict destructive damage upon the opponent) is relegated to 'brawling' or 'luck', to the point where it's not given the same credit as defensive skills.

So I ask theses very simple questions:

1) Doesn't the ability to win boxing bouts
                consistently via knockout / stoppage / inflicting destructive damage upon the opponents require 'boxing skills', as much as it requires 'boxing skills' to evade punches or not get hit by punches from the opponent?

2) Is punching power alone enough to win bouts consistently in that manner?

The so called 'power punchers' who are knockout artists, a lot of the time aren't even specially power punchers. Their natural physical strength / power isn't any better than many of the other boxers who aren't knockout artists. However, they are able to win more of their bouts by KO because they have superior offensive skills. Such as:

1) Better power punching technique / mechanics.

2) Better power punching accuracy.

3) Better power punching timing.

4) Better ability to set up knockout punches.

5) Better ability to apply pressure and cut the ring off.

So the question is, does someone like Golovkin (a knockout artist) really have more punching power than someone like Andre Ward, or is it his offensive skills that are simply superior?
                1. It doesn't require special skills knock someone out, stop someone, or inflict a lot of damage but it helps. It also doesn't require special skill to evade punches. It does require special skills to be able to inflict a lot of damage while taking little damage or be able to focus when you're taking return fire. It also takes special skills to evade punches and still be in position to mount an offense.

2. No. If the right punch land most boxers will go down. You have to have all the other attributes you listed to be consistent. Golovkin is better at stopping his opponents because he is more focused on getting a stoppage. You've seen in his last 2 fights when the focus isn't there (for whatever reason), the KOs doesn't come easy. You also saw when Ward was focused on stopping Kovalev, he actually did. Of course you need skills to be able to carry it out.

Comment

Yes. Punching power and chininess - two things which are both very much more to do with skills than some innate natural gift (or curse).

Basically anyone who is trained to punch and has decent technique should be able to knock out pretty much any guy of similar size given a few free shots against an unprepared chin. Paulie could do it - hell, even I could do it and I can't punch for ****.

Similarly any guy who closes his eyes and sticks his chin out to allow another fighter to give him his best shot will get KTFO in short order - I don't give a fuck if his chin's supposed to made of adamantium.

What's special about guys who can consistently KO other fighters who are trying not to be KOd is the ability to create the openings and land the shots with sufficient power without leaving themselves so open that they get KTFO themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
                    Yes. Punching power and chininess - two things which are both very much more to do with skills than some innate natural gift (or curse).

Basically anyone who is trained to punch and has decent technique should be able to knock out pretty much any guy of similar size given a few free shots against an unprepared chin. Paulie could do it - hell, even I could do it and I can't punch for ****.

Similarly any guy who closes his eyes and sticks his chin out to allow another fighter to give him his best shot will get KTFO in short order - I don't give a fuck if his chin's supposed to made of adamantium.

What's special about guys who can consistently KO other fighters who are trying not to be KOd is the ability to create the openings and land the shots with sufficient power without leaving themselves so open that they get KTFO themselves.
                    I agree with this.

That said, a part of me still wonders whilst sat in front of the box eating crisps and drinking a beer. Whether I could take a Flyweight Paddy Barnes right hand at that very moment. Common sense says he will definitely put me out but then I think, nah, I reckon I could hold a few shots, lol.

Honestly, if Paddy Barnes was my mate he would definitely have KO'd me a handful of times by now after a few pints. I'd have to try and prove myself right.

Comment

Working...
                    X