Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did Angelo Dundee have against weight training?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lifting has ALWAYS been apart of a boxing gyms equipment.
    We don't train like weightlifters we train like boxers!
    Squats would be a very small part of weight training especially heavy squat work. Any bar with heavy weights on it would not be a large part of a session. Incline and decline bench work would be utilized along with multiple dumbell motions.
    All of the weight programs would be for building strength and partnered with heavy bag work!
    Dumbell arm session would have speed bag incorperated. No weights are without boxing motions.
    Weight training can be a plus or a minus depending on muscle type also (genetics)
    Peaked biceps are a no no in boxing, large hamstring muscle needs to be tempered.
    Size with extended peaks can cause oxygen problems and when that happens recovery takres to long when in a bout!

Sooooo some will benefit some won't!
    The weights are just another tool that can be used or abused.
    To have a rank amateur who has no background or experience in training fighters even suggest weights seems irresponsible to me but it happens all the time here.
    Ray.

Comment

Dundee's two most famous boxers Ali and SRL had kind of a scrawny look to them but were lightening fast and had a tremendous snap to their punches.. On the downside they weren't exactly power hitters but they were far from weak..

Comment

.........."Ali and SRL had kind of a scrawny look to them" ..........Really?

Two of the best physiques in the history of boxing!

Leonard 5' 10" 147
        Ali 6' 3 1/2" 210-220

neither with muscle peaks both long and lean muscled with tremendous endurance and great lung capacity. Not over muscled with tremendous athletic body strength.

I have no idea how you see "scawny" when you look at either man.
        Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by ironalex View Post
          I don't know if you know this but Squats without weights = not using weight. It's a type of calistetic. Who cares if I have lifted or not - that has nothing to do with it. What are your boxing credentials? Because this after all is boxing, not weight lifting. Here's a prime example... Joe calzaghe vs Jeff lacy.
          Ill have you know Jugs credentials are impeccable and unassailable sir!! He has recieved the idiot of the month award, wrestling it away from his lover Elroy...Every month since September.

Comment

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
            Dundee's two most famous boxers Ali and SRL had kind of a scrawny look to them but were lightening fast and had a tremendous snap to their punches.. On the downside they weren't exactly power hitters but they were far from weak..
            Interesting enough look at the Gracie guys, especially the originals....they looked like french lit professors! Yet they were all very strong.

Comment

Originally posted by ironalex View Post
              I don't know if you know this but Squats without weights = not using weight. It's a type of calistetic. Who cares if I have lifted or not - that has nothing to do with it. What are your boxing credentials? Because this after all is boxing, not weight lifting. Here's a prime example... Joe calzaghe vs Jeff lacy.
              You can do both ,and no ,there are vids of Tyson using weighted squats ......only a fool like billy boy would say squats wont increase performance or leg training in general,i guarantee hes never been an athlete in any way ,just by reading his posts.You are a fool as well apperantly you cant read either as its not a contest ,its a simple question of can weights improve performance ,even Corso said something right for once.....
              Last edited by juggernaut666; 06-30-2015, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                Interesting enough look at the Gracie guys, especially the originals....they looked like french lit professors! Yet they were all very strong.
                Grappling strength and striking power are two different things ,you imbecile..... :*******:

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                  .........."Ali and SRL had kind of a scrawny look to them" ..........Really?

Two of the best physiques in the history of boxing!

Leonard 5' 10" 147
                  Ali 6' 3 1/2" 210-220

neither with muscle peaks both long and lean muscled with tremendous endurance and great lung capacity. Not over muscled with tremendous athletic body strength.

I have no idea how you see "scawny" when you look at either man.
                  Ray.
                  Ali was 210 in the 60's ,at 6'3 he looked like a stick.......where do you remotely see the best ever boxing physique ?,,he looked no different than Holmes and slightly better than Young ...really ray you are starting to give anew meaning to being stuck in the 60's ,at 215 is when he actually looked healthy for a HW champ and over 220 looked like a bloated past prime fighter ,he was in shape but only the likes of you would claim best physique ever or remotely close ..
                  Last edited by juggernaut666; 06-30-2015, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
                    You can do both ,and no ,there are vids of Tyson using weighted squats ......only a fool like billy boy would say squats wont increase performance or leg training in general,i guarantee hes never been an athlete in any way ,just by reading his posts.You are a fool as well apperantly you cant read either as its not a contest ,its a simple question of can weights improve performance ,even Corso said something right for once.....
                    Lol I have only seen the out of shape old Tyson use weighted squats, not the young explosive prime Tyson.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
                      If you are takin about me simp I never said squats did not increase performance....you just can't read, or write, or argue rationally but we luv ya anyway Juggy cause like a can your fun to kick around! Try weights for the brain though.

Comment

Working...
                      X