No announcement yet.

Pacquiao, money and fame all on the line for Cotto

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pacquiao, money and fame all on the line for Cotto

This weekend, WBO welterweight champion Miguel Cotto defends his title against challenger Joshua Clottey. The outcome of this fight will determine the immediate future of the welterweight and jr. welterweight divisions. A win for Cotto would surley mean a clash with Manny Pacquiao in October that would net him his biggest purse to date and an opportunity to become the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world. A loss, on the other hand, would give the other players in the division, mainly Shane Mosley, an opportunity to take his place as Pacquiao's next opponent. Although the future of his career, as well as the sport's most exciting division, hinges on this one fight, Miguel Cotto seems unfazed with the pressure.

"All I am thinking about is Clottey right now. That's the fight at hand and I cannot get side-tracked thinking about other fights or fighters. I know the (Pacquiao) fight is out there and is something that might be possible, but for now all I can think about is June 13 at the Garden," stated Cotto during a recent conversation with the media. While it's a typical response that most fighters give any time future opponents are brought up, you can tell that it's an answer that Cotto truly means as he remains focused on the difficult task at hand this Saturday. For a fighter who had to carve out his own niche in the shadow of Felix "Tito" Trinidad, who was perhaps one of the most beloved Puerto Rican boxers of all time, Cotto is accustomed to fighting with this kind of pressure.

It wasn't too long ago when promoter Bob Arum made the decision to make Miguel Cotto a staple at Madison Square Garden during the weekend of the Puerto Rican Day Parade, one of the biggest Puerto Rican celebrations in this country. Although some naysayer had their doubts, a dominant win over Paulie Maliganaggi, a scintillating stoppage of Zab Judah and a thrilling victory over Shane Mosley cemented his position as one of the best fighters in the division and helped bolster his ability to pack Madison Square Garden with his loyal fans. His lone loss to Antonio Margarito has done little to hurt his status as a star or his confidence as a champion and come June 13th, he'll be ready to perform again in front of a sellout crowd. As has become customary during the week prior to his fights, Cotto has already visited the heart of the Bronx to participate in public workouts and autograph sessions for fans, all the while staying focused on his opponent.

Although he won't admit it, Cotto knows the real prize that awaits him if he leaves the ring victorious on Saturday night. "He (Pacquiao) is one of the greatest boxers," Cotto readily admits. It's a fact that he's fully aware of and it's the reason why he'll be willing to meet Pacquiao at a catchweight for the chance to earn his biggest payday. But before he can look forward to that bout as he celebrates on his float, he must first make sure that Clottey doesn't spoil the plans. As he's done in the past on the eve of the Puerto Rican Day Parade, Cotto will have to put on another sensational performance against an opponent that some feel has an excellent chance of beating the 3 to 1 odds and pulling off the upset. "I hear all the talk, but I keep my focus on this fight; on Joshua Clottey," Cotto reiterated. Assuming that he truly is focused on the task at hand, which is likely given his past performances during this time of year, fans should expect another thriling performance from the Puerto Rican superstar that should guarantee him a winning ticket in the Manny Pacquiao sweepstakes. Of course, a loss won't mean the end of the world as rematches with Shane Mosley and Antonio Margarito will still be options, but neither of them will be as big or as lucrative as a clash with the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world. No, he may not admit it, but Miguel Cotto is definitely aware of it.

hey man hit me with some green k i gave u sum

Comment

i'm more concerned with cotto vs mosley or margarito.

if pacquiao comes out like he did against hatton he would get killed by miguel.

Comment

The problem is that if he wins in a manner that would be deemed dominant to Clottey I seriously doubt that the Paquiao fight would come to fruition because Manny's handlers will not put him in there with Cotto. Not if they want to ride on the new popularity that Manny just acquired through the U.S. fan base. We all know Manny is a God to the Pinoys but he just recently became Mr. Big Stuff here in the U.S.

Comment

that is a good point.

if cotto man handles clottey they will pull out without question.

thats like setting yourself up for failure.

Comment

lets see...i dont like paquiao -coto fight. but, if it happens, itl be in another catchweight. . which sucks

paquiao has already proven himself, i hope he faces this ww at 147 no excuses. if he loses , at least he tried, imagine if he wins..........atg-no doubt

Comment

Originally posted by Primal Instinx View Post
              The problem is that if he wins in a manner that would be deemed dominant to Clottey I seriously doubt that the Paquiao fight would come to fruition because Manny's handlers will not put him in there with Cotto. Not if they want to ride on the new popularity that Manny just acquired through the U.S. fan base. We all know Manny is a God to the Pinoys but he just recently became Mr. Big Stuff here in the U.S.
              pac has no business being in a ring w/ cotto. pac officially weighed 138 lbs against hatton. cotto has never officially weighed 138 lbs in boxing career. this fight would've been good when cotto used to be a 140 lber, but it ain't good anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by enzogabriel View Post
                lets see...i dont like paquiao -coto fight. but, if it happens, itl be in another catchweight. . which sucks

paquiao has already proven himself, i hope he faces this ww at 147 no excuses. if he loses , at least he tried, imagine if he wins..........atg-no doubt
                you know that miguel is basically a middleweight on fight night and pac is a welterweight right?

its a mismatch.

Comment

Originally posted by Pullcounter View Post
                  pac has no business being in a ring w/ cotto. pac officially weighed 138 lbs against hatton. cotto has never officially weighed 138 lbs in boxing career. this fight would've been good when cotto used to be a 140 lber, but it ain't good anymore.
                  Cotto has weighed 138 lots of times hell he even weighed 135 a couple of times dyring his stan at 140.

Comment

Working...
                  X