No announcement yet.

Southpaw or orthodox for my son

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
    Use both stances for now and see how his balance is from both sides. It's not about power at his age it's about balance.
    Your boy has bones being developed so DO NOT put him through any exercises that are strenuous, no running & jumping his long bones are growing and all the cells needed for strength on not available during this grow rate!
    Seven is very young for an athletic endeavor, pads and technique are ok but don't let him have contact.
    I was a Junior Olympic Regional coach for many years, I taught at the Olympic Training Center in Colo. Springs and seven years is to young!
    You can have him shadowing, and working in the mirrors, hand techniques offensively and defensively, slipping and countering.
    When he is 12 years old the J.O. program can offer a good boxing outlet for him. Be careful who handles your boy and how he is handled.
    You protect your son in all endeavors don't let anyone tell you a boy needs to be a man, thats BS!
    Balance is the first technique learned!
    Ray Corso
    I agree with Ray. Let him find his balance and his stride. I write right handed, type left handed, mouse too, left. Chopsticks left, fork right handed. I don't think about it, but others want me to be one or the other.

Comment

Originally posted by twrx View Post
      So my 7 year old has a huge intrest in boxing and wants to do it while wrestling is on hold.
      So my problem is he is right handed but in baseball swings left handed. So his power seems to come from being in the southpaw stance but throws with the righ hand so its a bit dominant in that aspect. Ive had doing mits from both sides he seems to hit as hard from both sides but from the orthodox position his left hook is solid as is his straight right or straight left from the southpaw. Any tips on which side to chose i wanna get him going on onse side and get him developed in it and then work on his other side . Any ideas or thoughts?
      Whichever one he has has stronger footing in.. I, too, bat lefty, but my boxing stance is orthodox. Why? Well I batted lefty in little league out of Rosedale NY. , for the season, championships, all star game and what not... because I felt my vision was better on that side, and I did find more connectivity with the baseball.

However, I couldn't imagine any other juxtaposition of limbs besides orthodox when it comes to my fighting style. My right leg has a bit more drive than my left, and my right leg is the overall dominant leg. If I was to do a running jump across canal of icey water to the faraway dock (may have done this) , I would launch with my right foot into that hurling jump, not my left.

What leg a person wants to use to do a running leap is actually a good testament to what leg should be in the back position of their boxing stance.

Comment

Good call on the jumping. Didnt cross my mind

Comment

what's his dominant eye?

I was told that eye should be kept in the rear

Comment

If hes throwing with his right then I would say his balance and eye hand coordination is better off from the right. Batting style (to me at least) really isnt that significant. Any decent boxer could square up in the opposite stance and throw a power punch but how balanced and accurate that punch is, is the real question. Theres more switch hitters in baseball then there are in boxing and although a Baseball player maybe able to throw a ball pretty good with his less dominate hand, I doubt he would play a game doing so. So again go with whatever hand he throws with.

Also its usually easier for southpaws to fight orthodox considering the world is favored towards right handed people, most kids that are left handed end up doing things right handed because they see no other way.

Comment

Whats the difference btw a southpaw and an ortodox when they are fighting? Aren't they symmetric? Difference is just experience to fight in C shaped feet positioning, rather than Z shaped in which ortodox guys fight.

Comment

Always southpaw no matter what!

Theres 0 difference in power between a left and right hand. How many right hand fighters have a left hook as their best punch? Loads!

Your son just sucks on one side with time and good training he will hit hard from both sides

until more people are southpaw than orthodox southpaw will always be the best paw

anyone that disagrees is inferior in knowledge to me

perhaps if you are a short fighter like tyson maybe orthodox to help close the distance but pacman does well too so even that is debatable

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
                  what's his dominant eye?

I was told that eye should be kept in the rear
                  Any eye can be made dominant, any hand or leg can be made dominant!

Its easier to make the eye you want dominant, you just wear an eye patch on the currently dominant eye for a month or so, requires no work at all

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
                    Always southpaw no matter what!

Theres 0 difference in power between a left and right hand. How many right hand fighters have a left hook as their best punch? Loads!

Your son just sucks on one side with time and good training he will hit hard from both sides

until more people are southpaw than orthodox southpaw will always be the best paw

anyone that disagrees is inferior in knowledge to me

perhaps if you are a short fighter like tyson maybe orthodox to help close the distance but pacman does well too so even that is debatable
                    Interesting! I can knock you out with either hand, backing up.

My gay cousin Raul would ground and pound you. He was an awesome wrestler in high school and on the Fresno state wrestling team. You should lock horns with him and stop posting.

Comment

Both stances! Just makes sure he isn't fighting out of a different style in each stance. That is a huge downfall. He should fight the same out of both stances and switch styles up from both stances.

When I started I had a tendency to fight very straight up and conventional out of a right handed stance and then attempt a more slick style when I adopted the southpaw stance. While effective it left huge gaps in both Stances as I had dedicated one to offense and the other to defense.

But it's always better to know more, Muslce IQ is a real thing and having educated arms is the best thing a boxer can have.

Comment

Working...
                      X