No announcement yet.

Mikey Garcia delivers strong ratings for HBO

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NearHypnos View Post
    With his sense of timing, power, and how short and sharp he is fundementally he doesnt really need to be. He's not exactly slow on his feet and has fairly good speed with his hands. He's no Nonito/Rigo/Gamboa (for examples near him) but this is boxing where timing is king.
    I agree, plus he fights smart. He negates his athletic shortcomings by focusing on his strengths and fighting patiently. He blocks a lot of shots with his gloves and doesn't put himself in positions to really take hard shots or punishment. Both of these strategies alleviate his lack of head movement and lateral quickness.

Mikey already has a lot of wrinkles in his game for only being 25-26. He's got that old-man patience but the ferocity of a young lion.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeRo1972 View Post
      Mikey just needs to keep knocking off whoever is put in front of him and he'll reach super stardom. Even a blind man can see Mikey is a P4P talent. It doesn't matter who's in front of him right now, only Mikey can beat Mikey. And he strikes me as all business when it comes to boxing....sky's the limit for the kid.
      i think takashi uchiyama beats him...roman martinez was a nice win, but the guy shouldn't have been a champ.

Comment

Yeah having Donaire on the card will do that to your ratings

Comment

Where tf is Showtime's answer to HBO's weekly night fights? HBO has another one this week, then the next. Where is Showtime?

I made a Showtime subscription because of boxing. I might as well just pay on demand if this will go on. Where are the truckloads of money GBP/Showtime supposed to have made in the Mayweather fights?

Seems to me that HBO doesn't need a lot of money to produce fights. So far the quality of fights have been phenomenal.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
            One limit that you'd have to say is there is that he's quite ordinary in athletic terms. But technically, he's unquestionably the real deal.
            Yeah I suppose. He doesn't have eye popping speed or Athleticism but his timing and technique are impeccable. His ring IQ and technique is going to get him wins vs more gifted fighters IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by mrlopez View Post
              ????????????? last time i checked, you werent big on donaire or his record, so how would a win over him in your opinion make him p4p top 10?

Seriously, he's definitely a star on the rise!

this right here is a better response than what dunn offered

HBO has been head and shoulders abover showtime even with gb leaving. theyve had many fight of the year candidates this year. their shows for all intents and purposes have produced quality fights. showtime on the other hand really hasnt had anything to compete other than sept 14th tbh....
              True, I didn't think donaire was a top 5 p4p guy. As of now, almost every credible p4p ranking has him between 8-10. I already believe mikey is one of the 10-12 top p4p fighters in boxing. In addition to nonito, I hope mikey gets and defeats Burgos and Uchiyama.

a win over nonito would likely elevate him, despite the fact I don't hold nonito in as high regard as others, since he is in every top 10.

Comment

A lot of that had to do with Donaire, but impressive nonetheless

Comment

Both HBO and Showtime getting good rating this year , Boxing need to keep making good fights

Comment

Originally posted by KRAFTSMAN View Post
                    Where tf is Showtime's answer to HBO's weekly night fights? HBO has another one this week, then the next. Where is Showtime?

I made a Showtime subscription because of boxing. I might as well just pay on demand if this will go on. Where are the truckloads of money GBP/Showtime supposed to have made in the Mayweather fights?

Seems to me that HBO doesn't need a lot of money to produce fights. So far the quality of fights have been phenomenal.

It has been HBO for the last 2 months basically putting on most of the boxing shows (good ones also), but Shotime was the one putting on alot of fights before that. Been fights on Fox Sports 1 if you have not noticed. But Shotime has two great cards the first two weeks of December along with some fights on regular NBC. Fox sports 1 has an interesting card on December 13th also with Josesito Lopez, Errol Spence, and Joseph Diaz Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
                      True, I didn't think donaire was a top 5 p4p guy. As of now, almost every credible p4p ranking has him between 8-10. I already believe mikey is one of the 10-12 top p4p fighters in boxing. In addition to nonito, I hope mikey gets and defeats Burgos and Uchiyama.

a win over nonito would likely elevate him, despite the fact I don't hold nonito in as high regard as others, since he is in every top 10.
                      a win definitely elevates mikey, unfortunately they wont ever fight unless, because of the now reunion with his dad, nonito leaves garcia. that would be a bad a-s-s fight if it ever happened.

i like flash but i cant understand how he's back in the p4p rankings. he was losing the fight vs darch until he ko'd him. he didnt look good in that fight imo. hopefully he DOESNT fight rigo next cause i cant see him winning the rematch. if he does, he needs a totally new game plan. there are some great fights that can be made @126 for Donaire, hopefully we get to see a couple of those 1st, before he considers fighting rigo. i'm mos def interested in the walters fight, he's a big and strong kid...
                      Last edited by mrlopez; 11-13-2013, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X