No announcement yet.

RIP The Twinkie (1930-2012)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP The Twinkie (1930-2012)

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Hostess Brands -- the maker of such iconic baked goods as Twinkies, Devil Dogs and Wonder Bread -- announced Friday that it is asking a federal bankruptcy court for permission to close its operations, blaming a strike by bakers protesting a new contract imposed on them.

The closing will result in Hostess' nearly 18,500 workers losing their jobs as the company shuts 33 bakeries and 565 distribution centers nationwide, as well as 570 outlet stores. The Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union represents around 5,000 Hostess employees.

"We deeply regret the necessity of today's decision, but we do not have the financial resources to weather an extended nationwide strike," said CEO Gregory Rayburn in a statement.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/16/news...stess-closing/

Broner's gonna be pissed.

Comment

Comment

I wonder if Broner's gonna dedicate his fight in memoriam?

Comment

I've never liked Twinkies War RingDings!!!

Comment

That's a stupid Union, their union thuggery backfired on them. They were offered a fair deal, 25% stake in the company with 2 board members for pension and health benefits cuts. Then a 5 year contract with 8% pay cut in the 1 st year, a 3% increase in the next 3 years, and 1% increase in the final year. They should have known better since the company is already in Chapter 11 reorganization. Now, they are out of a job with the pending Liquidation, chapter 7.

Comment

Twinkies were only good when you were high as a kite ... other than that terrible.

Still sad to see a legend in pastries pass the torch. As long as Krispy Kreams is still around to satisfy the munchies ... I'm good.

Comment

I am pretty sure that Hostess in Canada is a separate operational entity. Anybody who wants twinkies, pm me. I'll hook you up. It'll cost a little more but you know how you motherphuckers love your twinkies.

Comment

I'm going to miss the other stuff Hostess made.

Comment

Call me crazy, but it actually sounds like a strategy against the workers on strike.

Either sign a deal, or the jobs gone.

Comment

Working...
                    X