No announcement yet.

Inactive Boxers Are Killing The Sport Of Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fighting_Pride View Post
    that may be true but reliable boxers as you put it generate stability in an unstable sport.u once champions solidify their status, they become a towering beacon of perseverance where every people from all walks of life can relate to. god i love boxing metaphors
    You do realize boxing has been around for well over 200 years, and it will never become unstable.

Comment

I would say that fighters who are using performance enhancing drugs are doing more damage to the sport than any inactive fighter could ever do. If you are a high profile fighter or a belt holder and you are not doing anything to make the sport cleaner and safer then you should be ashamed of yourself.

Not enough praise is being given to the fighters who are stepping up and taking the better tests either.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting_Pride View Post
        fighters need to stay busy to build up the sport and generate enough action to get more viewers and expand it's fan base. fans want to see fights where elite boxers face off in the ring. that said, so called champions should defend their belt at least every 3-4 months because most champions get in the ring nowadays once or twice per year, that's not good enough. it's creates a vacuum that is then filled by untested (unworthy) fighters, belts are just handed down to the next guy like a pair of 2nd hand shoes.

this needs to change and those sanctioning bodies should stops with that favoritism crap and start enforcing their own rules, which is to defend the belt every 3-4 months.

i'm not mentioning names here but everyone knows who those inactive boxers are.

your thoughts?
        Boxing is not a seasonal sport. Fighters have the right to fight on their own time, considering the fact that training takes up a quarter of the year, and boxing itself puts a major toll on their body. A fighter who has dominated for lets say...16 yrs straight, and is in their 30's, has earned the right to fight on their own time! Now as far as up and coming fighters, they should stay active for their own sake, not for the fans!

Comment

I agree 100%, all boxer's should be fighting at least 3/4 times a year, If a champion defended titles 3/4 times a year im sure there would be more better quality fights.

The sport is too open to boxers having total control, for example I dont agree with Mayweather being a P4P no 1 2, 10 whatever in my mind he's not even part of it, is he still an active boxer? I dont know? Dont get me wrong I like watching Mayweather but be a fighter or not.

David Haye is kind of the same, I'll box when I want against who I want...get lost be a fighter or not.. That attitiude is ruining the sport aswell as the prtecting the 0.

Comment

How? More like they are "killing" their own career maybe but the sport? How?

Watch the active fighters. Simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Priest Andretti View Post
              How? More like they are "killing" their own career maybe but the sport? How?

Watch the active fighters. Simple.
              Because it's usually the champions that are most inactive, we want to be seeing the best fights out there but if the champions in each division arent fighting each other and instead picking 1 / 2 fights a year against carefully picked opponents, thats not good for me as a fan or the boxer.

The same is actually happening down the chain, propsects are now being fed easy opponents so they dont lose...

I dont know enough about the game but from when I first started watching boxing late 80's, 90's the buzz has decreased, I would in the past have gone out my way to watch boxing, now unless its a really mouth watering fight, it gets recorded and I watch it the next day...

That LIVE boxing on TV has gone.....maybe its just me getting older though! lol

Comment

Chris Arreola has been a huge disappoint this year due to his inactivity. Chris Arreola is in top form when he's fighting frequently. However, his management thinks that shelving him for most of 2012 is a good idea....

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
                  Chris Arreola has been a huge disappoint this year due to his inactivity. Chris Arreola is in top form when he's fighting frequently. However, his management thinks that shelving him for most of 2012 is a good idea....
                  You post assumes chris is a responsible professional that would train and diet in a way that would maximise his career.

Comment

That has nothing to do with the fighters and everything to do with the sanctioning organisations not fulfilling their own rules, stripping these guys and creating new champs that do fight.

Who cares who fights a little or a lot. It's great for us, but its their career to ruin. They are not obligated unless the organisation keeps to their own rules, which they don't, and strip them for being inactive. It's has nothing to do with the fighter and they're not remotely killing boxing. There have been great fights on many times in between Mayweather and pac fighting. There are other big names and great fights out there you know...all the time....you probably don't actually.

Just because some fans are obsessed with making one guy look bad and one look good and ignores the fact that thousands of other fighters are out there and boxing doesn't revolve upon two people is just plain ignorance on their part and a very bad excuse to push some petty, girly agenda. Grow a pair, be a man, not a ***** fanboy, and recognise the real problem and stop acting like a gossipy *****. It's a fighters career to do with as they choose. Some dont train, do they ruin boxing by not coming in trained well? Some give up during fights mentally or physically, are they responsible for ruining boxing? Some fighters get the decision in major fights they clearly don't win. Is that their fault and are they ruining boxing? Pac wants to leave boxing for politics, is he ruining boxing because his heart isn't in it anymore? Of course not! It'll be sad not seeing him soon, but boxing will go on, new fights will keep happening each week, new stars created etc etc.

However, if its about champions being inactive and them be called champions, well that is about the sanctioning body they're part of and their bull**** decision not to strip them if they're inactive, which they should be doing.

Guys of Mayweather and pacs level don't need to even fight for titles. Just fight the best guys in superfights when they want, though its always better for us to be more often, and ignore the titles. Everyone would still watch.

Anyway, stop taking such petty, underhanded digs at Floyd. It's weird mate. We all know you hate him, but resorting to this? It's just getting a bit low. That and the fact that its just wrong.
                    Last edited by BennyST; 11-16-2012, 11:12 AM.

Comment

I wholeheartedly disagree that inactive boxers are killing the sport.

Comment

Working...
                      X