Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open scoring is needed in boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

everyfigth i seen with open scoring ruined the figth for me.

Comment

the score announcement at the end is undeniably exciting but think about it, what other sports are there where you can't keep track of your own performance throughout the match? to me it's just another case where boxing behaves more like a pantomime than a sport. it doesn't really need a twist at the end to remain compelling

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
        the score announcement at the end is undeniably exciting but think about it, what other sports are there where you can't keep track of your own performance throughout the match? to me it's just another case where boxing behaves more like a pantomime than a sport. it doesn't really need a twist at the end to remain compelling
        I dont want boxers changing their gameplans based on the subjective scoring of 3 judges, judges who often get things wrong. I prefer the fight plays out how its going to play out, and we make up our own minds what happened in the fight.

Boxing is a different kind of sport to most. Its a fight. Its entertainment. The pantomime is all part and parcel of the event imo. I dont like it to be over the top. But waiting to here whos going to win and hearing "aaand still" or "aaand the new" is one of the iconic moments in boxing. Also the ring entrances, the face offs and everything. You dont have to be a casual to enjoy this stuff, it all adds personality and intrigue to the fight.

Comment

What fights have had open scoring, out of interest? Never seen it but have always wondered if it would work

As mentioned, anticipating the final decision is partly what makes fights exciting (and/or controversial). BS decisions like Hoyle's card for Hooker on Saturday (and he has form, see: Bey v Vazquez 2014), however, make me think that something needs to be done to stop what looks like CORRUPTION. There's no other word for it

Increased transparency throughout a fight might make a judge think twice before they enable robberies. On the other hand, we don't want majority-opinions of fans to override the expertise of judges, most of whom are very experienced, very fair and who are seeing things that casuals will never be able to appreciate

Comment

Originally posted by HeadBodyBodyBody View Post
            What fights have had open scoring, out of interest? Never seen it but have always wondered if it would work

As mentioned, anticipating the final decision is partly what makes fights exciting (and/or controversial). BS decisions like Hoyle's card for Hooker on Saturday (and he has form, see: Bey v Vazquez 2014), however, make me think that something needs to be done to stop what looks like CORRUPTION. There's no other word for it

Increased transparency throughout a fight might make a judge think twice before they enable robberies. On the other hand, we don't want majority-opinions of fans to override the expertise of judges, most of whom are very experienced, very fair and who are seeing things that casuals will never be able to appreciate
            Good point. Fans already sway judges by cheering one fighters punches if they land or not. Imagine if they booed the fck out of every round you gave to the b-side fighter. Be hard to ignore that if the rounds were close.

Comment

Making judges accountable for their actions? That makes too much sense

Comment

Open scoring is terrible IMO. The Canelo/Trout score being announced totally changed the fight. Trout was boxing and moving and tiring Canelo out. Trout somehow was far down on the cards and had to change his strategy to try and get a KO because he couldn't win a decision.

Comment

Originally posted by !!WAR KOVALEV!! View Post
                  everyfigth i seen with open scoring ruined the figth for me.
                  I felt exactly the same way, open scoring changes nothing except ruins the anticipation for the final score. Incompetent or corrupt judges are still going to be incompetent or corrupt regardless of whether you have to wait 30 minutes or less for their scorecard.

Danny Garcia - Herrera was open scored, and Garcia basically couldn't lose a decision after the 8th round. I thought Herrera won that fight but knowing that he couldn't win a decision on the cards and didn't have the power to KO garcia ruined the fight you knew it was a close fight but you also knew the judges didn't see it that way so I didn't see the point (and the excitement) of watching the rest of the fight.

Canelo - Trout was open scored another close, somewhat controversial fight. Trout even said that he felt it was really close but was told he was down on all the cards and had to abandon his gameplan and it made the fight worse.

Mormeck - O'Neill Bell II was one of the worst, the first fight was FOTY level, in the rematch it was a war for 4 rounds. But with open scoring Mormeck was up 4 rounds to nil (and that was ridiculous, those rounds were damn close) and because of this Mormeck just coasted the rest of the fight knowing that stupid or corrupt judges would give him the rounds even if he coasted.

Comment

Open scoring has failed many times already. It sounds good but in practice it really don't make a difference.

Look at that Canelo/Trout fight

Comment

Originally posted by Ryn0 View Post
                      I felt exactly the same way, open scoring changes nothing except ruins the anticipation for the final score. Incompetent or corrupt judges are still going to be incompetent or corrupt regardless of whether you have to wait 30 minutes or less for their scorecard.

Danny Garcia - Herrera was open scored, and Garcia basically couldn't lose a decision after the 8th round. I thought Herrera won that fight but knowing that he couldn't win a decision on the cards and didn't have the power to KO garcia ruined the fight you knew it was a close fight but you also knew the judges didn't see it that way so I didn't see the point (and the excitement) of watching the rest of the fight.

Canelo - Trout was open scored another close, somewhat controversial fight. Trout even said that he felt it was really close but was told he was down on all the cards and had to abandon his gameplan and it made the fight worse.

Mormeck - O'Neill Bell II was one of the worst, the first fight was FOTY level, in the rematch it was a war for 4 rounds. But with open scoring Mormeck was up 4 rounds to nil (and that was ridiculous, those rounds were damn close) and because of this Mormeck just coasted the rest of the fight knowing that stupid or corrupt judges would give him the rounds even if he coasted.
                      yeah exactly, it hurts more than it helps. I understand what they trying to do but no its just isnt for boxing. Its steals the magic out of it if you will and the guy in the lead is always gonna try to coast it, especially against a live dog.

Comment

Working...
                      X