Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Man announces lawsuit for wrongful police shooting. Later, he’s arrested for murder

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man announces lawsuit for wrongful police shooting. Later, he’s arrested for murder

It didn’t take long for the accuser to become the accused.

Minutes after he announced a $15 million lawsuit against the city of Chicago and two police officers for a shooting that left him with seven gunshot wounds, a 25-year-old man was taken into custody on a murder warrant.

Dominiq Greer told reporters in Chicago that he was shot multiple times as he ran from police on July 4, 2014, according to the Chicago Tribune.

He had just stepped outside the office building where his news conference was held Wednesday when an unmarked police vehicle pulled up and a pair of officers arrested him, the Tribune reported.

Greer was arrested on an outstanding murder warrant for a killing on the South Side of Chicago on May 27, a police spokesman told The Washington Post. The victim, a 22-year-old man named Kevin Larry, sustained a fatal gunshot wound, the spokesman said.

Greer’s attorney, Eugene Hollander, declined to comment on the case and said he hadn’t had a chance to review the details.

“Whatever pending criminal charges he has against him have nothing to do with a police officer shooting him seven times as he was running away,” Hollander told The Post.

A police spokesman told the Chicago Sun-Times that authorities “became aware [Greer] was holding a press conference for a civil suit against the police department, and the police department doesn’t wait to apprehend people accused of murder.”

At Wednesday’s news conference, Hollander showed surveillance video footage that appears to show Chicago police shooting Greer multiple times as he flees two officers on foot.

Greer was one of four people shot by Chicago police during a 36-hour period over the July 4 weekend in 2014, according to USA Today.

On Wednesday, he told reporters police should have chased him instead of shooting at him.

“They should have did their job and try to catch me instead of shooting me,” he said. “If I ain’t never bring no harm to you, why would you bring harm to me.”

“He was just standing around with two of his friends in the street, he sees the police roll up and he takes off,” Hollander added, according to the Sun-Times. “When you’re an African-American in Englewood, it’s understandable.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...m=c7eddd5f7943

The next will never come...... or rather, never be.

Comment

Working...
    X