Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Winky Wright: I Definitely Think I Would've Beaten De La Hoya

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shadoww702 View Post
    Well said! He mostly only wanted to steal rounds with last minute work.
    And ODH with his hand speed tie Winky up, and keep his hands in the holster; exactly why Winky ducked this match

Comment

Originally posted by djtmal View Post
      Really? So that's the excuse. Just pretend a fight was never on the table.
      Who cares?? they were never even close in size and both went on with their respective careers

Comment

Winky is underrated woulda been a great fight

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          .....yeah.....no.

Winky has memory loss clearly.

"BoxingScene.com: There was some talk a few months back, regarding Oscar De La Hoya having interest in staging a fight with you. Were there any serious discussions to make the fight or was this something Oscar was putting out there to test the fans' interest in the fight?

Winky Wright: A while back, after I beat Tito (Trinidad). Oscar came up and said that he would fight us. Somebody made a proposal from his camp. They gave us the proposal and we felt that the proposal was not good enough. We turned it down."

http://www.boxingscene.com/boxingsce...setting-record

Winky Wright turned down 6 million dollars to fight Oscar. A career pay day.

"As for Shaw last month turning down $6-million (plus $6 per pay-per-view buy above 600,000 homes) to fight Oscar De La Hoya ?

"He offers everyone else $10, 15-million," Wright said, referring to the $10-million Felix Trinidad got for beating De La Hoya in 1999. "I ain't doing it."
          Great find. Winky caught red handed lying his azzz off. If I remember correctly after Winky priced himself out oscar went on to fight Hopkins. Either way nobody ducked him he priced himself out thanks for confirming this.
          Last edited by bigdunny1; 07-03-2018, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by champion4ever View Post
            You are absolutely correct! The knock against Winky Wright was that he always used to price himself out of big fights. He use to inflate his worth but if you are not one who is bringing in new fans, have a fan base, a loyal following or putting meat in the seats, then you can't justify receiving a parity of the purse split. That's just simply Boxing Economics 101.
            THIS ^^^ There is a reason why today when a fighter prices himself out they call it doing a "Winky Wright". Or why fans say well he must of went to the "Winky Wright school of Business". Asking for Trinidad paydays when he was NEVER in that league. Boring fight style and little fanbase to justify superstar money.

Like I said he never beats Oscar because if the fight happens he stays in a shell, not letting his hands go and get's out worked or simply prices himself out the fight all together.

Comment

At the time where Oscars weight was within Wright’s, which was late in his career. He was already old and fighting way above his true weight class. Wright would of killed him.

Comment

Originally posted by Winky Wright
                I definitely think I would have a good chance of beating him, at that time I was a big junior middleweight and I was strong and my will to win. Oscar was coming off some losses at that time, so I really don’t think he wanted to do it too much, he just wanted to pick and choose the fighters he fought without really trying to put himself in danger.
                Admits to being a weight bully. Ok bro!

Kinda like yourself eh? Never really put yourself in danger, just beat on up smaller dudes moving up. Garbage!

Look at his record, one name in 13 years pro. Legit lost to Vargas and cried like a baby over it. Finally gets a fight with Shane and ok he beats Shane who was never a JMW. Blown up SLW who really never should have left WW. Blown up Tito and Ike, who cares.
                Last edited by McNulty; 07-03-2018, 06:10 PM.

Comment

no f@cking way winky beats odlh in his prime!

Comment

Originally posted by factsarenice View Post
                    Oscar flat refused to fight Winky because Oscar knew that Winky was too much for him.

Winky beat Tito, and Shane Mosley twice....both guys beat Oscar. Anyone else see a pattern?
                    Winky turned down DLH due to money.

Winky turned down a total of 3 high profile fights because he didn't like the money.

Comment

Originally posted by j.razor View Post
                      "Well first of all, they never said they would even fight me, they said they thought about it, but it was never a discussion of trying to make that fight happen. But if I had fought De La Hoya I think it would have been a great fight. Oscar is a great competitor, Oscar has got a great offense, a great hook, good jab. We both would have had to see who’s jab was the best and who could oppose there will on the other fighter," Wright told On The Ropes Boxing Radio.

Stop lying IronDanHamza!
                      BoxingScene.com: There was some talk a few months back, regarding Oscar De La Hoya having interest in staging a fight with you. Were there any serious discussions to make the fight or was this something Oscar was putting out there to test the fans' interest in the fight?

Winky Wright: A while back, after I beat Tito (Trinidad). Oscar came up and said that he would fight us. Somebody made a proposal from his camp. They gave us the proposal and we felt that the proposal was not good enough. We turned it down.
                      As for Shaw last month turning down $6-million (plus $6 per pay-per-view buy above 600,000 homes) to fight Oscar De La Hoya ?

"He offers everyone else $10, 15-million," Wright said, referring to the $10-million Felix Trinidad got for beating De La Hoya in 1999. "I ain't doing it."
                      https://www.boxingscene.com/boxingsc...straight--2006

https://www.boxingscene.com/forums/s...d.php?t=358622

He also turned down $5mill to fight Taylor rematch.
                      Wright was offered $5 million for a rematch but wasn't happy with the offer. He turned it down and never saw that kind of payday again. He returned six months later to face Quartey in what turned out to be his last win.
                      http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/i...ck-ends-defeat

Comment

Working...
                      X