My 3 keys for Chavez vs Martinez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
    good psot. agree with your points.

whats crazy is a year ago this fight would've been laughed at. Now its close to a 50/50 fight.
    Yea, it's amazing where he's come from and where he is now. Chavez Jr was a laughing stock 4 years ago, now this is one of the biggest fights in recent years. Let's hope it's competitive.

Comment

I see your point, but I don't think the circumstances were "regular". When was the last time the bigger draw, who was the champ, (especially in Vegas), got such a bad decsison?

Whitaker/Ramirez maybe.
      It doesn't matter.

Relying on potentially be given rounds from a few big shots vs the busier fighter isn't a smart gameplan. My whole point is Martinez can't afford to have lapses of non activity, or take entire rounds off like he has shown to do. pacquiao might be a rarity but it shows it can happen, and against names bigger than Martinez.

Comment

Chavez cannot afford to wear his ear muffs every-time Sergio goes on the offensive, he's gonna have to try and time Sergio's jab and counter with his left hook. He cannot get predictable and cannot afford to fall asleep when Sergio switches to a lower gear. Jr needs to use his pressure to combat Sergio's ring generalship.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
          He weighed in at 175 30 days out, right? I don't know if that's too bad considering it's so far out. Let's see...
          Didn't he have to severely dry out just to make that weight? I thought i remember someone posting that he went up towards 190 after the safety weight.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
            Chavez cannot afford to wear his ear muffs every-time Sergio goes on the offensive, he's gonna have to try and time Sergio's jab and counter with his left hook. He cannot get predictable and cannot afford to fall asleep when Sergio switches to a lower gear. Jr needs to use his pressure to combat Sergio's ring generalship.
            Easier said than done when you are dealing with a guy who is so much faster and slicker than you. Chavez has to work his way inside, I wouldn't think about much else to be honest. Trying to stay outside and counter jabs or power shots would be bad news for Chavez.

He's just not that type of fighter, but he does't have to be to win. It's not always about speed or countering, it can be about defense and timing.

Comment

Chavez Jr doesn't stand a chance. He's not even as good as Pavlik, who managed to have a good mid-round rally against Martinez. He's gonna get cut up, he will be there to get hit all night and Sergio won't miss. I'm gonna love this fight.

See, I don't know if that is true. I understand the whole "effective aggressiveness" but something inside of me tells me that Chavez is going to be fighting the up hill fight.

Judges are weird that way, sometimes the aggressive fighter get's the benefit of the doubt, sometimes they like the slicker guy. I think because Martinez is the bigger name, they will give him some rounds early on if he can land just one or two big shots per round.
              I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but it's actually Chavez Jr who might get rounds based on his name, undefeated record, and Bob Arum. Chavez Jr is actually the bigger name, not Martinez.

Comment

Originally posted by THE REED™ View Post
                It doesn't matter.

Relying on potentially be given rounds from a few big shots vs the busier fighter isn't a smart gameplan. My whole point is Martinez can't afford to have lapses of non activity, or take entire rounds off like he has shown to do. pacquiao might be a rarity but it shows it can happen, and against names bigger than Martinez.
                I got you, fair point. I just thought the starts didn't hurt manny as IMO he won easily. But the judges were right to penalize manny for it.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                  Chavez Jr doesn't stand a chance. He's not even as good as Pavlik, who managed to have a good mid-round rally against Martinez. He's gonna get cut up, he will be there to get hit all night and Sergio won't miss. I'm gonna love this fight.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but it's actually Chavez Jr who might get rounds based on his name, undefeated record, and Bob Arum. Chavez Jr is actually the bigger name, not Martinez.
                  A year ago, I'd agreed with you kev. But Chavez has really improved to me and Sergio does take a while to get going.

I got Sergio, but I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see an upset.

Comment

good psot. agree with your points.

whats crazy is a year ago this fight would've been laughed at. Now its close to a 50/50 fight.
                    I'm still laughing at this fight. That's why I always wanted to see it.

Sergio won't be the first fighter to beat Chavez Jr though. It already happened, Carlos Molina did it.

Comment

Easier said than done when you are dealing with a guy who is so much faster and slicker than you. Chavez has to work his way inside, I wouldn't think about much else to be honest. Trying to stay outside and counter jabs or power shots would be bad news for Chavez.

He's just not that type of fighter, but he does't have to be to win. It's not always about speed or countering, it can be about defense and timing.
                      Plodding forward in a straight line with a high guard, trying to catch Sergio and hoping that he traps himself against the ropes...that ***** will not work. Chavez needs to use his intelligence to win, not just his physical attributes. He was able to effectively counter Lee's jab, he needs to do that against Sergio too. Mindlessly pressuring a boxer with power/speed/stamina is a VERY stupid idea to me. The more I imagine this fight, the more I feel that Jr. is gonna get out-classed. The keys to victory that you stated, Martinez has used all of them to win. We know he's capable of gauging proper distance, clinching to break his opponent's rhythm, and using his footwork to pressure his opponent and to lure them in. Chavez has never shown head movement and has never had great conditioning either. It seems like a one-sided fight on paper.
                      Last edited by kiaba360; 08-20-2012, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X