Collapse
No announcement yet.

As boxing fans are we too forgiving?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never it got when people praise Valero. He never fought anybody in the ring and was an arse in real life.

Comment

Yes, we have hearts of gold.

Comment

I have problems with the margaritos of boxing, not the various wifebeaters throughout the sport's history.

Comment

I'm not sure it depends, but I actually think some people were very harsh on Tyson he had a very tough background but he was nice sometimes and now he shows he had it in him so that's great

Comment

what a fighter does outside of the ring is of no concern to me, i am watching boxing not the WWE, just like if i like a movie i dont care what the actors do, what they eat, who they are ****ing etc. who am i to judge anyone anyway? and really if i care about what someone that i dont even know personally is doing because i like the way they fight,act ect. i should seek help.

Comment

Think about it......when you root for a fighter, any fighter, you are hoping to see him inlict as much physical damage on his foe as possible. The nature of the sport is savage, so I find it hard to be moral about a guy's ways outside of the ring while rooting to see him physically obliterate a human being who did nothing wrong.

Comment

Their boxers not humanitarians, they knock people out for a living they're not going to be the most stable of people. I admire their abilities in the ring but not outside. For example I love watching Sugar Ray Robinsons KOs but fact was he was still a sick human being to give his wife all those miscarriages from domestic abuse. And what is it with boxers and domestic abuse? you would think that people who are in a sport that requires tremendous bravery wouldn't commit an act that society deems as "cowardly".

Comment

No, a huge amount of issues are vastly exaggerated for media purposes.

I mean there are a few things you got to keep in mind when reading about boxers and athletes and rumors. You don't know them irl so you can't judge them at all.

There is a huge difference between
                  1- a drunk college frat boy who beat up a sweet college girl that refuse to have sex with him

and

2- Mike Tyson hitting a gold digging black mailer who threaten to spill info on his best friend to the cops.

Just examples.. You don't really know the situations and can not judge. The men and women surrounding most athletes are *******s and just trying to use these athletes for their own personal gains.

Also people go through phases, Mike Tyson seem incredibly gentle and nice during his prime years and during his years after retirement. It's the years in between he went insane.

You just can't judge people base on what you read. A NBA example

Rasheed Wallace the NBA thug of the early 2000's was actually found out to have donated millions to charities privately without even making any media deal about it, he also supports mentally disabled friends and children. THIS GUY got the worse image in the world and did these things

Kobe Bryant ... the nba golden poster child for great behavior was arrested for alleged rape.

Also a lot of athletes just don't feel the need to explain situations and explain themselves because that's not the way their personalities are.

Joe frazier might be look upon now as a boxing idol and hero AND HE IS.

BUT during the ali days a huge amount of people view Joe Frazier as a ass kissing uncle tom who BETRAYED ALI of all things...

Joe just never even try to explain himself to the media because that's not the kind of person he is.

Guys like Tyson is like that, despite all his anger and rage before he never try to make excuses for himself. So we don't really know what prompt certain things.

Last point of course you never should hit a woman but if u are a trained fighter and certain actions push you OVER THE EDGE

it is sort of understandable

FEMALE FRIEND you never slept with, blackmails you say they will tell the girl you love most in the world you DID slept with her if you don t give her cash. In the spur of the moment you hit her.....

all of a sudden you are a women beater....

Athletes are just surrounded by the wrong people in general it is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by kendom View Post
                    Their boxers not humanitarians, they knock people out for a living they're not going to be the most stable of people. I admire their abilities in the ring but not outside. For example I love watching Sugar Ray Robinsons KOs but fact was he was still a sick human being to give his wife all those miscarriages from domestic abuse. And what is it with boxers and domestic abuse? you would think that people who are in a sport that requires tremendous bravery wouldn't commit an act that society deems as "cowardly".
                    It's wrong but I don't think they view it as that they have so much anger that they just do the wrong thing, also there are well behaved Boxers too it's like with everywhere people are different

Originally posted by wladimir1988 View Post
                    No, a huge amount of issues are vastly exaggerated for media purposes.

I mean there are a few things you got to keep in mind when reading about boxers and athletes and rumors. You don't know them irl so you can't judge them at all.

There is a huge difference between
                    1- a drunk college frat boy who beat up a sweet college girl that refuse to have sex with him

and

2- Mike Tyson hitting a gold digging black mailer who threaten to spill info on his best friend to the cops.

Just examples.. You don't really know the situations and can not judge. The men and women surrounding most athletes are *******s and just trying to use these athletes for their own personal gains.

Also people go through phases, Mike Tyson seem incredibly gentle and nice during his prime years and during his years after retirement. It's the years in between he went insane.

You just can't judge people base on what you read. A NBA example

Rasheed Wallace the NBA thug of the early 2000's was actually found out to have donated millions to charities privately without even making any media deal about it, he also supports mentally disabled friends and children. THIS GUY got the worse image in the world and did these things

Kobe Bryant ... the nba golden poster child for great behavior was arrested for alleged rape.

Also a lot of athletes just don't feel the need to explain situations and explain themselves because that's not the way their personalities are.

Joe frazier might be look upon now as a boxing idol and hero AND HE IS.

BUT during the ali days a huge amount of people view Joe Frazier as a ass kissing uncle tom who BETRAYED ALI of all things...

Joe just never even try to explain himself to the media because that's not the kind of person he is.

Guys like Tyson is like that, despite all his anger and rage before he never try to make excuses for himself. So we don't really know what prompt certain things.

Last point of course you never should hit a woman but if u are a trained fighter and certain actions push you OVER THE EDGE

it is sort of understandable

FEMALE FRIEND you never slept with, blackmails you say they will tell the girl you love most in the world you DID slept with her if you don t give her cash. In the spur of the moment you hit her.....

all of a sudden you are a women beater....

Athletes are just surrounded by the wrong people in general it is what it is.
                    Some good points made

Comment

Originally posted by kendom View Post
                      Domestically abusing or not doing it has very little to do with measuring how brave someone is or isn't. We have boxers and service members that make danger a career but are domestic abusers. These guys put themselves into these potentially lethal situations by choice. I'd say the average one is braver than many people even if they beat up women in their spare time.

It has a lot to do with culture. In some parts of the world and in the old days it was acceptable for people to physically put their spouses back in line. Women rights has progressed, and it's no longer acceptable. Society then attaches a label like cowardly onto it in order to shame people into following its guideline.

Comment

Working...
                      X