No announcement yet.

How many miles do i need to run?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many miles do i need to run?

I am currently running 3.5 miles 4 times a week. i eat reasonably healthy (veg fruit etc) but i cant get down any lower than 15 stone!

mon/tues - 3.5mile run
    weds - boxing gym
    thurs/fri - 3.5 mile run

if i am losing ZERO weight from the above, will i have to double the miles to get results??

Originally posted by ATFsven View Post
    I am currently running 3.5 miles 4 times a week. i eat reasonably healthy (veg fruit etc) but i cant get down any lower than 15 stone!

mon/tues - 3.5mile run
    weds - boxing gym
    thurs/fri - 3.5 mile run

if i am losing ZERO weight from the above, will i have to double the miles to get results??
    You dont necessarily have to do more, change it up. Your body adapts to the stresses you place on it over time so a change of exercises or methods can often do the trick because what your doing becomes too easy for your body and you dont get out of it what you used to do. More isnt always better. Try doing some intervals twice a week or do some conditioning routines (www.rosstraining.com has some good sample workouts, I have the books but you gotta buy them yourself or else bribe me :P j/k). As an example you could try this for the intervals:
    1 mile warm up easy run (8:00 mile pace)
    stretch
    4 x 400m runs (shoot for 60-75 seconds per interval, if you can go faster do it), 1 minute rest
    4 x 200m sprints (all out), 45 seconds rest
    4 x 100m sprints (all out), 30 seconds rest
    cool down with an easy jog or walk for however long you feel

Intervals and conditioning circuits are amazing for fat loss. Replace a few of your distance runs with these and Im sure you will see some results. However the main thing is diet so if you dont adjust according to what your looking to get then it wont happen. Another thing you could do is drink tonnes of water, it helps with burning fat.

Comment

You can eat the healthiest food on the planet, but if you eat more in terms of calories than you burn, then you will gain weight. If you consume about the same amount you burn, you stay at the same weight.

My advice to you is to figure out how many calories you consume, and how much you burn in a week. If you want to lose a pound in a week, cut down 500 calories daily.

Comment

The key to losing weight is to burn more calories than you consume.

In order to lose one pound of fat, you must burn 3500 calories more than you consume. As sukhenkoy said, that's 500 per day over seven days for one pound loss per week.

So you can keep up the same amount of exercise and remove 500 calories from your diet per day. Keep your diet the same and find a way to burn 500 more calories. Or meet somewhere in the middle, consuming fewer calories and doing more exercise.

Comment

I don't gain weight inless I drink **** loads of beer .My normal weight is
          normally 11 stone ,but when I start drinking I can go up to about 13 . I read in mens health about Ricky Hatton ,he said you can lose up to a stone a week by eating small protein meals and running long runs .He prefers longer slower runs to short fast runs ,it said go for about 6 miles.Just make sure you train your heart and lungs enough , get your heart rate up enough but not high enough to burn yourself out.

Comment

To burn the fat you need to run for about 45mins at a steady pace to trick your bdoy into bruning lots of fat. Get a pedometer so you know if you are making progress with your fitness by incrwsing mileage within that period.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies! i got a shed load to work on by the sounds of it.
              diet proper will be the first thing to try.

Thanks again.

Comment

in most cases, workrate is more important than diet. Alot of people simply do not train hard enough and please do make sure you are not one of them. I reckon if you push yourself to the limit, diet changes will only have to be general rather than rigorous. I keep it simple: avoid fried food and eat more fruit!

Comment

Working...
                X