No announcement yet.

Eubank Jr's power

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eubank Jr's power

Lots of people have been talking about Jr's lack of power and i can see where they are coming from. He doesnt have a great KO percentage this early in his career and a few fights have walked through his shots quite easily.

I think though that it wont be long before he starts developing some pop, he has good speed and is well coordinated. He could do with sitting down on his shots a little more and wanting to hurt his opponents, when he hit Price with uppercuts they seemed to rock the veteran.

Hes also been a victim of tough early matchups which i feel have made him look weaker than he is. Not to mention with his inexperience, from what i know he had few amatuer fights before turning pro, he looks like he is struggling to time his shots.

What do you reckon, is he destined to be a soft puncher? or do you feel his power will come?

His power is very underrated, I don't see why people are so concerned with it. He rarely sits down on his punches and the constant movement takes some of the pop out of them.

Put it this way, he hits harder than DeGale.

So KO ratio means nothing.

Comment

He could develop his power, he's still young. TBF to him though he's faced tougher opposition than most other fighters in his position and KO'ing these guys is not as easy as fighting a bunch of bums at the start of your pro career.

Comment

agree with both posts so far, is this lack of power more a symptom of fighting on C5 and so infront of more casual fans?

I admit the main place i hear about it is in the commentary...

Comment

I don't understand what you mean by 'lack of power'?

Should he be knocking out everyone with one shot?

Ignore what certain commentators say, they frustrate me with their uneducated opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
            I don't understand what you mean by 'lack of power'?

Should he be knocking out everyone with one shot?

Ignore what certain commentators say, they frustrate me with their uneducated opinions.
            sorry i should say 'percieved' lack of power... i think he is fine. It always seems to be brought up during his fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
              sorry i should say 'percieved' lack of power... i think he is fine. It always seems to be brought up during his fights.
              My sentiments exactly.

You could say David Price has power or George Groves because that's obvious. But there are fighters like DeGale who's only fought 4 opponents that have lasted the distance and it's evident he doesn't punch that hard.

I think Eubank Jr is a much harder puncher than DeGale and no one seems bothered about DeGale's inability to even throw a punch, let alone his power.

He's got a solid jab and when he throws it, a great uppercut. He's only shown you one side of him and even early on he was working to a gameplan. I can't really think of a time where's he landed clean consecutive shots, he's always throwing one punch and moving.

My main concern with Eubank Jr would be his defensive capabilities.

Comment

His power looks, and sounds, fine to me. When he lands a shot you can see and hear the thud. He may not be an explosive puncher, but he certainly looks like a good puncher.

My concern is punch variation. He seems very, very uppercut happy.

Comment

He needs to let some combos go, he is throwing single punches and you can hear the pop when they land so they are throwing correctly and accurately.

I get the feeling he is actually feeling it all out, I think he's going to be world class, he looks so comfortable and at ease in the ring, a natural. Power will also increase as he grows.

Comment

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
                    My sentiments exactly.

You could say David Price has power or George Groves because that's obvious. But there are fighters like DeGale who's only fought 4 opponents that have lasted the distance and it's evident he doesn't punch that hard.

I think Eubank Jr is a much harder puncher than DeGale and no one seems bothered about DeGale's inability to even throw a punch, let alone his power.

He's got a solid jab and when he throws it, a great uppercut. He's only shown you one side of him and even early on he was working to a gameplan. I can't really think of a time where's he landed clean consecutive shots, he's always throwing one punch and moving.

My main concern with Eubank Jr would be his defensive capabilities.
                    I actually dont mind it at this stage in his career, he has good reflexes and with some fine tuning will be hard to hit i think. His lack of amateur experience is probably showing there, it will take time to learn the tricks of the trade.

Hopefully he can keep developing and go places, if nothing else because i want Channel 5's investment to pay off. Would be amazing if a terrestrial channel fully committed to boxing!

Comment

Working...
                    X