No announcement yet.

Has Hatton's hunger gone??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Hatton's hunger gone??

Ricky Hatton admits he has lost the "fire in his belly" for fighting, but has not ruled out a return to the ring later on down the line.

The former light-welterweight world champion went 43 fights undefeated before taking on the man widely regarded as the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world, Floyd Mayweather, in December 2007.

A devastating 10th round knockout followed, prompting questions over his future, but he battled back to beat Juan Lazcano and Paul Malignaggi before going down again to Manny Pacquiao in May.

Hatton has not fought since that second-round knockout but, as Mayweather prepares to make his return from retirement against Juan Manuel Marquez at the weekend, Hatton is refusing to call time on his own career.

"At the end of the day Floyd Mayweather retired and he had two years off and he couldn't stay retired for long, he started getting itchy feet and decided to make a comeback," Hatton told Sky Sports News.

"That could be what happens to me, but you've got to have the bit between your teeth to do this game.

"It was heartbreaking that last defeat and you need to have that fire in the belly to make a comeback. But nine months, 12 months, go by and, like it happened to Floyd, it could happen to The Hitman."
    Prediction

As for his reading of Mayweather's fight, Hatton can only see one winner.

"I hope I'm wrong but I can't see anything other than a Floyd Mayweather win," Hatton added. "Obviously Juan Manuel Marquez is one of the best fighters in the world.

"But Marquez's only had one fight at 9st 9lbs and it's a big weight difference but regardless of that I think Floyd Mayweather will be regarded as one of the greats - as a fighter.

"I think Juan Manuel Marquez is up against it, but Floyd Mayweather has had two years off, there could be a bit of ring rust, Marquez is one of the best pound for pound fighters in the world and you never can tell in this game, but it's Mayweather for me."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...563172,00.html

Interesting interview. I reckon watching the next two big fights will encourage him to return. Only 1 Hatton.

btw, who is that in your sig?

Comment

When you discover you can be beaten and you are not invincible the hunger can go i would imagine. Because another beating like that is quite possible even though Hatton wont want to think of defeat again.

But time is passing him by and people are getting on with it, even PBF.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
        Interesting interview. I reckon watching the next two big fights will encourage him to return. Only 1 Hatton.

btw, who is that in your sig?
        That is Emma Watson form Harry Potter mate.

Comment

I think it has. IMO, he looks bigger than he has before, and in really he doesn't need to. He's made himself a ton of money, and is running what seems to be a decent promotional company that is trying to build up boxing in the Manchester area.

He should just walk off into the sunset with his kid and fiancee.

Comment

his hunger mite of gone but his appetite hasnt, dude is huge...

on a serious level though i think he has lost his hunger. hopefully he stays retired, as much as id enjoy the occasion of him fighting again (im a hatton fan), i wouldnt like to see him get knocked out like he did against PBF and MP again. but my feeling is that he will get the desire back somewhere down the line and be in the ring again.

Comment

Hatton's hunger being gone is kind of ironic due to the weight gain and all(lol). Seriously though, he sounds like he is in doubt about the rest of his career and whether he ever wants to fight again. The ring is no place for doubts if your going to be a competitor. So if he doesn't have it anymore psychologically, for his own safety he should stay away.

Comment

Hatton should retire ...... He has lost the two most important fights of his career in brutal fashion and mentally\physically he is not the same.

The Hatton that beat\mugged Tszyu would have an ongoing career extention - but the modified Hatton that tries to box isn't going to go any further.

Hatton's biggest mistake was to try and change what was working for him. Sure, it wasn't pretty and it was crude ... but it was Hattons style and it was what won him 40 fights. Hatton lost that which made him a star and accepted something that was alien ..... The Sweet Science.

Hatton was not a practitioner of the sweet science - he was the ultimate club fighter .... The minute he stopped being what he was .... that was the end.

Never fix what ain't broke ...... Hatton forgot that rule and paid a price.

Retire and become a promoter in Manchester.

Comment

Hatton still has the hunger for pies and chips!

Comment

He has no future above 140 anyway and i cant see him making 140 very easily anymore.. he looked like a skelton vs Pac

Comment

Working...
                    X