No announcement yet.

Whyte vs Parker PPV numbers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post
    It wasn’t televised cause it was a pretty much irrelevant fight in the context of world boxing.
    If the fight had any meaning HBO/Sho even someone like AWE would’ve picked it up but it wasn’t. And the fact 400k(apparently) idiots payed for it just shows how deluded and gullible the current British boxing fan base are.

It just further proves my point that the standard of boxing in this country is continuously lowered. We used to get better fights than that on premium tv, now people are paying for this *****😂😂
    The fact is though a PPV is only 20 quid. That's all Hearn has to say, "the same price as a Dominos Pizza" "or a couple of beers".

Again don't compare American Landscape and British Landscape. It's too different.

Enjoy these big stadium fights and six PPV's a year, trust me in five years time when Joshua gets knocked out/loses/retired/loses his star appeal, Boxing in this country will be dead again, and you'll be reminiscing about the good times.

Comment

• Originally posted by koolkc107 View Post
      Cable companies operate pretty much the same worldwide.

Some of them are multinational too.

And by the way, we aren't talking about SKY...we are talking about the actual cable companies that Sky broadcasts on. When you order a fight, you don't order from SKY, you order from your cable provider. They take 55% off the top.
      Sky are a Telecom/Cable provider in the UK. Second to BT, who are ironically partnered up with Tyson Fury, Frampton etc

I heard Sky take 40% of every Joshua PPV with Matchroom taking 10 Percent. I remember Hearn talking about this in a lengthy IFL Interview back in 2015

US-Uk operate very differently, pointless comparing.
      Last edited by Manlikefemi; 08-09-2018, 04:48 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by koolkc107 View Post
        Sorry to disappoint you but sometimes the simplest answer is the right one.

The same tech is worldwide in all developed nations and the costs to do business (and hence what is charged) are pretty much the same.

Sometimes the content providers are able to wrangle more because of the stature of the event- for example Mayweather vs Pacquiao may have seen the cable companies take 10% less- but for the most part it's the same.

As to your confusion, SKY is the channel, the same way Showtime is the channel here in the states. When I pay my bill each month, I don't make the check out to Showtime. Instead, I make it out to the cable company that provides Showtime as one of many channels. That cable company (and the other distributors of the content) are the ones that get about 45% of every PPV buy. Then SKY (or Showtime) takes another 10%.

The promoters get the remaining 45%.
        That dosent seem very profitable for SHO/HBO when doing a PPV, when you counter in Production, Marketing costs and backing their fighter in past fights. For example Showtime have invested millions into Wilder, in the hope they get a return with the Joshua fights which would be PPV.

10% is a very low figure. Especially if the PPV Dosent meet projected numbers or turns out to be hugely successful
        Last edited by Manlikefemi; 08-09-2018, 04:53 PM.

Comment

• Do the US Cable providers do anything for their 45%?

Comment

• Originally posted by Manlikefemi View Post
            The fact is though a PPV is only 20 quid. That's all Hearn has to say, "the same price as a Dominos Pizza" "or a couple of beers".

Again don't compare American Landscape and British Landscape. It's too different.

Enjoy these big stadium fights and six PPV's a year, trust me in five years time when Joshua gets knocked out/loses/retired/loses his star appeal, Boxing in this country will be dead again, and you'll be reminiscing about the good times.
            Why can they not be compared? What’s so different? It seems people in the US get much better value boxing on subscription TV compared to the UK. And when there are PPV’s in the US they involve quality fighters in relevant fights, whilst in the UK we get Haye-Bellew and Whyte-Parker😂😂

These ain’t the good times either bro, we used to get better quality fights on free television than we get now on PPV. I remember when fights like Calzaghe-Lacy were on ITV. Half of this AJ dross ain’t even PPV worthy and the stadiums are just filled with idiots who DKSAB. I go to boxing shows all over the world but I point blank refuse to go to matchroom shows cause they are filled with those idiots. Hearn has been very clever in exploiting the casual market and deluding them into believing this some golden era of British boxing its complete and utter BS!

Comment

• Originally posted by Manlikefemi View Post
              Sky are a Telecom/Cable provider in the UK. Second to BT, who are ironically partnered up with Tyson Fury, Frampton etc

I heard Sky take 40% of every Joshua PPV with Matchroom taking 10 Percent. I remember Hearn talking about this in a lengthy IFL Interview back in 2015

US-Uk operate very differently, pointless comparing.
              Well, it shouldnt be very difficult for you to find that interview and post it then.

I am not disputing that one subsidiary of Sky may act as the creator of content like a television channel while another subsidiary may act as the utility that supplies the satellite dishes and descrambler boxes.

What I am saying is there is absolutely no reason to believe that means those subsidiaries do not incur the same costs as the other non-affiliated companies that provide those services. And that means there is also no reason to believe they would want a profit margin that is a full 25% less than that which would be earned if the subsidiaries were separate companies. It is a business after all, not a charity.

Comment

• So looks like this number was wrong. Hearn said in an interview that it did close to 400k buys. So more likely it did than 375k not 475k.

Comment

• Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post
                  Only gullible people that don’t understand boxing would think that PPV was value for money.
                  But that’s the market Hearn targets, so credit to him I guess for exploiting the casual market whilst lowering the standards of British boxing in the process.
                  Well, you seems to be the lone voice on this matter with other Americans on this forum.
                  Let's allow the sleeping dog to lie for there to be peace amongst the fans.
                  Hope you've got a great week.
                  The EPL kicks off today, another roll of exciting weeks ahead.

Comment

• Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
                    So looks like this number was wrong. Hearn said in an interview that it did close to 400k buys. So more likely it did than 375k not 475k.
                    About the same as Brook vs. Golovkin.

Comment

• Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
                      About the same as Brook vs. Golovkin.
                      Still a solid number for sure.

Comment

Working...
                      X