Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Cotto have the right game plan for Trout? Consecutive Hooks?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cotto should have taken a few more months off, and no he didnt have the right game plan, but trout had everything over cotto, size, youth etc

Comment

There really was no way Cotto was going to beat Trout, even though I though Cotto would win. The physical advantages were too much and the experience/IQ was too little to make any difference. Cotto was the shorter, slower, smaller and possibly had less power than Trout. He wasn't going to muscle Trout around like Floyd, Trout came in nearly 25 pounds heavier. He was also pretty slick (which surprised me) and had good pop, given Cotto's chin is at best average at 154 Cotto could have had 3 arms and still would have lost that fight.

Comment

Cotto tried different things and Trout adjusted which is a sign of a good fighter. IMO Trout would had adjusted to whatever Cotto was going to bring on

Comment

Originally posted by Beater_of_ass View Post
          There really was no way Cotto was going to beat Trout, even though I though Cotto would win. The physical advantages were too much and the experience/IQ was too little to make any difference. Cotto was the shorter, slower, smaller and possibly had less power than Trout. He wasn't going to muscle Trout around like Floyd, Trout came in nearly 25 pounds heavier. He was also pretty slick (which surprised me) and had good pop, given Cotto's chin is at best average at 154 Cotto could have had 3 arms and still would have lost that fight.
          I seriously doubt that. Since when does someone rehydrate 25lbs? Not even Chavez Jr. does that shit. Cotto probably rehydrated to 160-164 while Trout rehydrated to 164-170. At the most, it was a 10lb difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
            Wait, what?? So the shorter fighter (Cotto) should have tried to fight off the backfoot?? Listen bro, shorter fighters need to get inside the longer fighters reach.Bob & weave his way in & work the body & head, tie up & repeat.

A shorter fighter fighting on the outside is suicide in most instances.
            Yeah they normally should but in this case getting to the inside with out getting picked apart was the hard part for cotto. Cottos timing could have pulled off my plan. And technically he'd still be on the inside just in a different way. All cotto has to to do is make him miss with the slip or have him reach and counter from there and set up the combinations

Comment

Originally posted by BarryRobinson View Post
              Andre Ward showed the world how to deal with a tall southpaw. Straight right hand to the chest and body, left hook up stairs. Built over the first 3 rounds.

Team Cotto a month later were trying to land a right hook to the body and come back with a left hook against a fighter with good eyes.

Was that a smart game plan or is Trout that good?

Personally I think Cotto should have beat trout easy
              He did use the wrong game plan.
              He should have realized he has been at the end of his career since before Margarito vs Cotto 2.
              He should have stood away from any fighter that is unbeaten,tall, big with pretty good boxing style, and south paw. Stylistic...he is a nightmare for most, especially and older fighter.

Cash out Cotto. Get the big money and promote.

Comment

He was looping that left hook from the opening bell. Quit throwing his jab, like he always does. Body work was non existent again. Seemed to be looking for that one shot to turn it around and he doesn't have the power at this weight to do that. Trout came to fight and was not going to lay down. I think Cotto thought the moment was going to overwhelm him, as did I. He proved us both wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
                  I seriously doubt that. Since when does someone rehydrate 25lbs? Not even Chavez Jr. does that shit. Cotto probably rehydrated to 160-164 while Trout rehydrated to 164-170. At the most, it was a 10lb difference.
                  I meant 25 pounds bigger than Floyd who said he was 147 on the night he fought Cotto. Trout came in at 10, that's a 23 pound difference and the size difference between both guys is substantial enough for me to believe it rather easily.

Comment

Originally posted by thatdudespits View Post
                    Pacquiao beat his ass because cotto decided to trade with a guy who had faster hands... pacquiao was playing the angles well in that fight... his footwork has rarely looked as good...

When you fight a come forward style, your bound to get hit sometimes... and yes Zab caught Cotto with some good uppercuts... doesnt change the fact that he lost almost every round of the fight...cotto came forward the entire fight constant pressure.
                    zab has fast hands ... he has a REAL knockdown that he should have gotten credit for on floyd....

mosley... cotto fought that fight coming forward for most of the fight... won most his rounds that way... he only switched styles when mosley started to rally and cotto saw he wasnt going to knock him out...

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
                    You're right. About Zab. Cotto got comfortable and Zab folded. I don't know what the hell him knocking Floyd down has to do with it but OK. As for Mosley, he worked in and out. Cotto has to be able to switch it up like I stated. He doesn't have much in the way of reach. He should have given more ground and used his jab against Trout once he saw Austin was better than he expected on the inside. Its OK to give ground as the smaller guy and a seasoned vet. Get in and get out. Trout gave him chances. Trout was dog ass tired because he hasn't had to fight like that much.

Originally posted by 12TRIBEsRiSe View Post
                    cotto should have taken a few more months off, and no he didnt have the right game plan, but trout had everything over cotto, size, youth etc
                    He didn't have experience over Cotto. Cotto abandoned (not taken away) what he does best and that's jab and body work. Trout is the new Mike Jones. Lengthy with solid skills. Not some brilliant ring general like BS posters would lead you to believe.

Comment

Originally posted by BarryRobinson View Post
                      Andre Ward showed the world how to deal with a tall southpaw. Straight right hand to the chest and body, left hook up stairs. Built over the first 3 rounds.

Team Cotto a month later were trying to land a right hook to the body and come back with a left hook against a fighter with good eyes.

Was that a smart game plan or is Trout that good?

Personally I think Cotto should have beat trout easy
                      If you thought Cotto would beat any top Jr MW easy without never have been in the ring with a top Jr MW is where you went wrong first...I like Cotto,but his skill's and execution is greatly overrated...Cotto was doing fine early imo,but like always his stamina does not hold up..With his stamina drop off,his focus also get's away from him...Watch that fight again,Cotto is lost past the six rd...If Trout had been someone like Alvarez I fear Cotto would have been stopped...Cotto is a solid fighter..But against other top fighters he has not always shown he can out think them...That's a problem,because make no mistake about it..This is a thinking mans sport...
                      Last edited by Rome-By-Ko; 01-08-2013, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X