Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much money is a mandatory challenger purse worth?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by j0zef View Post
    Stopped reading there.

Boxing is a sport. In every single sport, there's a competition that crowns a champion. If you don't care about titles and who's the best [p4p], then we have nothing further to discuss.
    This is a cowardly cop out. You want a spot on a mythical p4p list to count during negotiations. Ok which p4p list do we use-just the ones with GGG on it since there isn't an official list?

This is the WBA ordering them to fight. GGG's WBC and IBF belts have no bearing on this and you know it.

Your greatness argument is repugnant. GGG has not defeated one great fighter yet you claim he is great. Why can't Jacobs achieve greatness over such a low bar same as GGG?

Comment

Originally posted by -Hyperion- View Post
      What Jacobs adds to Golovkin'slegacy is negligible. He's already #1 in the division and even with him, he won't beat out Kovalev/Ward in the p4p ranks.....nor Chocolatito until he slows down...GGG doesn't really need Canelo either...you can think it unfair but the actual boxing industry ranks him higher p4p...he needs Canelo only to make money/fame but if he were to hold 4 belts, everyone in the middleweight division would play under his rules. Anyone who wasn't willing to fight the champ and second biggest draw of the division would simply be a conman trying to milk his fans for every penny. Only Canelo and Saunders have real leverage over GGG. GGG has to concede some things to get them in the ring....I personally think 10 million should be enough for GGG for Canelo, but if the promotion is done right and it transcends to the mainstream, team GGG would regret a flat fee. He needs Sunders' belt and the fact that the UK is such a healthy market right now means he would get paid handsomely for a relatively risk free fight for him, so unless Saunders makes Eubank-like demands, I don't see how GGG turns him down...that's why Canelo is using his marketability to beat him to the punch and buttering up the WBO officials to get Suanders. So the point you're trying to make for Jacobs is wasted....the only way he holds leverage is by winning the purse bid, while Saunders already has the belt.

People who think GGG needs another weightclass are delusional too. 99.9% of boxers only move up for two reasons. They're having a hard time with the weight,or they're chasing a money fight , and there's plenty of ATG's who stayed in whatever weightclass was comfortable to them until one of those criteria were met.
      Dude, thats the same thing I said-Jacobs leverage is only if he wins the purse bid. Thats why I am thinking he will get like 33-35%, because it takes the purse bid off the table.

I surely don't think he needs another weight class. I just suggest going to 168 rather than waiting for a Canelo fight that doesn't seem like it will happen. I don't think this resume will ever make him an ATG.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
        Yes, HBO is not going to want to risk the nearly 4 years that they put into building Golovkin, for him to go to the rival broadcaster (with HBO getting no piece of the fight), for his toughest fight as a professional and risk, not only getting stuck with a beltless 35-year old fighter with no resume to fall back on, but also see their money fight for Saul Alvarez go up in smoke (with the possibility of having a shot to unify the division against Daniel Jacobs possibly also pushing the WBO 160 belt over to Showtime).

You add that Showtime would only be responsible for a single Golovkin fight, compared to HBO already having an annual commitment of over $5m behind Golovkin, and K2's got a business decision to make.

Is the WBA 160 belt worth risking an annual $5m from HBO, plus the opportunity to try and become a $10m per fight fighter?
        GGG is the prohibitive favorite in this matchup, and him having a one-off on Showtime is far less risky than you want it to be in order to serve your narrative.

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
        Duva asked to be the mando, then pulled out of the purse bid before resigning with HBO. How is it speculation to think HBO had an impact on that decision?
        Dunn, what you just did there is the definition of speculation. "Having an impact on that decision" and "HBO make Duva walk away" are two different things. HBO could have been a factor in Duva's decision, or HBO could have directly mandated something. Guess what? This is all speculation ffs.

Comment

Originally posted by BlakBread904 View Post
          GGG is the prohibitive favorite in this matchup, and him having a one-off on Showtime is far less risky than you want it to be in order to serve your narrative.

Dunn, what you just did there is the definition of speculation. "Having an impact on that decision" and "HBO make Duva walk away" are two different things. HBO could have been a factor in Duva's decision, or HBO could have directly mandated something. Guess what? This is all speculation ffs.
          I understand your point as well as one punch's. I base my posts on the information below, not that Dan Rafael is always the best source.

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/i...urse-bid-order

Sergey is contractually tied to HBO and we can't go to a purse bid. We can't fight the fight if we lose the bid, so there's no point in going to the bid and putting on charade."
          http://www.espn.com/blog/dan-rafael/...seeable-future

"You have informed me that you have exclusive ties with HBO and cannot fight on another network, which is unfortunate because it might prevent this clash from getting the best possible value for a fight of this tremendous magnitude," Michel wrote. "You must have done your deal with HBO just recently because you were quoted, right after the Pascal fight, that it was Kovalev's last fight of your current contract with the network.
          I don't see how its a stretch to say HBO forced Duva to pull out of the mando spot. (should've posted that instead of pull out of the purse bid because she didn't pull out of the purse bid.)
          Last edited by The Big Dunn; 10-26-2016, 08:44 AM.

Comment

I understand your point as well as one punch's. I base my posts on the information below, not that Dan Rafael is always the best source.

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/i...urse-bid-order

http://www.espn.com/blog/dan-rafael/...seeable-future

I don't see how its a stretch to say HBO forced Duva to pull out of the mando spot. (should've posted that instead of pull out of the purse bid because she didn't pull out of the purse bid.)
            OK, I see how you speculate given those quotes. but its still speculation, and you haven't even taken into account the difference in star power between GGG and Kov. GGG is a favored fighter of HBO and has openly stated his goal of undisputed champ, so I'm still hesitant to say HBO would force him to drop a belt. It's already hard enough for him to wrangle up respectable opponents, if he drops that WBA he aint getting it back

Comment

This is a cowardly cop out. You want a spot on a mythical p4p list to count during negotiations. Ok which p4p list do we use-just the ones with GGG on it since there isn't an official list?
              Stupid argument. Use the Ring or TBRB like any other sane person. And are you really arguing that P4P status doesn't count? Want to rethink how dumb that sounds? What are Ward and Kovalev fighting for, since neither belts nor P4P status matters? Why did Manny-Pac generate 4m PPV buys?

What matters then? Everyone's little opinion? Get the hell out of here.

This is the WBA ordering them to fight. GGG's WBC and IBF belts have no bearing on this and you know it.
              What the fuk? I don't "know it". That's a ******ed argument. Is he risking the belts? Yes?

Your greatness argument is repugnant. GGG has not defeated one great fighter yet you claim he is great. Why can't Jacobs achieve greatness over such a low bar same as GGG?
              Another stupid argument.

In your eyes, you look for any reason to screw over Golovkin no matter how ******ed it is. In your eyes, he should have moved up and gave up his belts, he should have accepted CW from Canelo, he should take a ******ed flat fee offer on PPV, you were arguing that Jacobs is worth as much as BJS since "that's the market", now you're coming up with reason why Jacobs should get paid since he's a holder of WBA regular title. When Golovkin was Canelo's mandatory you sang your little "well, sure it sucks that CWs exist, but Golovkin needs to be great and just accept 155 from Canelo". Now that Jacobs is the mandatory you're arguing why Jacobs is worth $3M and needs to get paid.

You say anything and everything of why Golovkin should get screwed over. I'm not even sure why I bother arguing with you. It got old and I'm done.

Comment

Originally posted by BlakBread904 View Post
                OK, I see how you speculate given those quotes. but its still speculation, and you haven't even taken into account the difference in star power between GGG and Kov. GGG is a favored fighter of HBO and has openly stated his goal of undisputed champ, so I'm still hesitant to say HBO would force him to drop a belt. It's already hard enough for him to wrangle up respectable opponents, if he drops that WBA he aint getting it back
                Let me clarify. If Jacobs win the bid and HBO, like with Kov, will not let him fight on another network, he may be forced to drop it given this is a WBA ordered fight.

I think HBO wants an undefeated GGG fighting Canelo. I agree that GGG is clearly the man at 160. As such, his holding the WBA belt when if Canelo ever agrees to fight him doesn't enhance him anyway.

Jacobs only has power if he can make a deal before the purse bid. If it goes to a bid, he could be on the losing end or he could be on the winning side and then have the fight not happen due to politics, which none of us want.

I honestly can't see why they just don't make a deal and get it over already.

Comment

Stupid argument. Use the Ring or TBRB like any other sane person. And are you really arguing that P4P status doesn't count? Want to rethink how dumb that sounds? What are Ward and Kovalev fighting for, since neither belts nor P4P status matters? Why did Manny-Pac generate 4m PPV buys?

What matters then? Everyone's little opinion? Get the hell out of here.

What the fuk? I don't "know it". That's a ******ed argument. Is he risking the belts? Yes?

Another stupid argument.

In your eyes, you look for any reason to screw over Golovkin no matter how ******ed it is. In your eyes, he should have moved up and gave up his belts, he should have accepted CW from Canelo, he should take a ******ed flat fee offer on PPV, you were arguing that Jacobs is worth as much as BJS since "that's the market", now you're coming up with reason why Jacobs should get paid since he's a holder of WBA regular title. When Golovkin was Canelo's mandatory you sang your little "well, sure it sucks that CWs exist, but Golovkin needs to be great and just accept 155 from Canelo". Now that Jacobs is the mandatory you're arguing why Jacobs is worth $3M and needs to get paid.

You say anything and everything of why Golovkin should get screwed over. I'm not even sure why I bother arguing with you. It got old and I'm done.
                  P4P status has no bearing on purse split. there is no official p4p list. Just because we as posters say ward/kov winner will be the best p4p fighter in the sport doesn't make that list real. they are fighting for Kov's LHW belts. that list is opinion.

The purse split is based on the WBA rules because its a defense of the WBA belt. The purse split isn't 75/25 because GGG holds the IBF and WBC belts.

So that what all this is, you are taking what I said here personally because you are a GGG fan. What you posted is ridiculous and skews everything I posted.

But lets say for arguments sake its true. Why would you get this upset? Are you related to GGG or in a relationship with him? Are you friends with him?

You are mad because I don't view GGG like you do and think everything is some kind of attack against him or a conspiracy to hold him back. You have some serious issues.
                  Last edited by The Big Dunn; 10-26-2016, 10:05 AM.

Comment

P4P status has no bearing on purse split. there is no official p4p list. Just because we as posters say ward/kov winner will be the best p4p fighter in the sport doesn't make that list real. they are fighting for Kov's LHW belts. that list is opinion.

The purse split is based on the WBA rules because its a defense of the WBA belt. The purse split isn't 75/25 because GGG holds the IBF and WBC belts.

So that what all this is, you are taking what I said here personally because you are a GGG fan. What you posted is ridiculous and skews everything I posted.

But lets say for arguments sake its true. Why would you get this upset? Are you related to GGG or in a relationship with him? Are you friends with him?

You are mad because I don't view GGG like you do and think everything is some kind of attack against him or a conspiracy to hold him back. You have some serious issues.
                    Nope. Just because I think what you posted is trash doesn't mean I'm taking it personally. It just means I think it's trash.

Good attempt at "umad" though. Surprised you didn't attach a picture.

Comment

Nope. Just because I think what you posted is trash doesn't mean I'm taking it personally. It just means I think it's trash.

Good attempt at "umad" though. Surprised you didn't attach a picture.
                      I don't think you're mad. I think you have a ridiculous fetish that prompted that post. You actually posted that I am looking to screw over GGG.

I want to see him fight someone legitimate, no more, no less. The reality is his tickets can not be priced in a way that he can carry an event against an opponent like Jacobs or Ward. That is why I suggest doing what Floyd and Kov did and take less to get the bigger name (Canelo) in the ring, win, and go from there.

In this scenario I am suggesting making the deal now because it eliminates the purse bid and thus eliminates the chance of the Jacobs fight not happening because a deal would surely mean the fight is on HBO.

I did not say Jacobs was worth $3 mil. I said K2 set the bar with the Saunders offer and asked why would Jacobs take less.

How has anything I suggested screw him over?
                      Last edited by The Big Dunn; 10-26-2016, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X