No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Ken Hershman To Step Down As HBO Sports Prez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vicious. View Post
    that's a weak response. So his ppv only did 150K. Doesn't mean he isn't a draw. Face it they ****ted on showtime and pbc this year. Maybe they'll do better next year
    150k ppvs is extremely weak, Chavez used to do those numbers while fighting bums in the old Latin Fury PPVS. For comparison Bradley vs Marquez more than doubled those numbers.

Yea they got the better off showtime this year but that's only because heyman left them in the cold, it still doesnt erase the entire past 5 years Hershman has been in command and unable to improve HBO the way he did with Showtime while he was there.

Comment

Originally posted by elgranluchadore View Post
      No way, HBO used to be THE boxing channel back in the 2000's, but showtime with haymon and gbp made a big push and now with PBC u can do quite well as a boxing fan without HBO.
      9 of the top 10 P4P fighters all locked up with HBO. If you don't want to see the best fighters sure. PBC has the biggest stable of fighters but very few are considered the best in their division or best among the sport. PBC has not shown they can create stars, HBO has. Showtime was HBO's biggest rival but basically was gutted by Haymon going to PBC. Has almost no big names under contract and only gets the scraps Haymon throws to them. PBC is the biggest HBO competitor now but they tanking in the TV ratings and losing money at high rate they might not even be around come this time next year. HBO is still the premier destination for Boxing. The 2 biggest fights of the year May/Pac and Canelo/Cotto all on HBO. 3 of those fighters signed to HBO and the 4th just retired. None of the big superstars in boxing are fighting on PBC neither are the elite P4P fighters in the sport.
      Last edited by bigdunny1; 10-30-2015, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Network fanboys..SMH

Comment

Could be worrying if the new guy doesn't see the value in boxing, or thinks the budget is better spent elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
            No way he was pushed out HBO was having a great year so this is shocking. It will be interesting to see what he is moving on to. He had a great gig so for him to step away he must have something even bigger lined up. He left HBO in a great spot they got 9 of the top 10 P4P best fighters in the world and HBO is closing the year with so many great fights.
            what great fights are these?

They have names, but those names do not have a lot of options that fans care about. Wlad, Manny, Kov, Lomanchenko, Bradley,-their best fights would be against Haymon guys.

Crawford, should he beat Manny-his best fight would be Garcia or Floyd.

Once Canelo/GGG fight-the best fight for the winner is a Haymon fighter.

Only one who has really good non haymon options is Chocalito-and he is asking for money HBO seems reluctant to pay.

Comment

I wonder if he was pressured out? I thought HBO kinda blew their load a little too early this year why they had a smaller budget for the last half of the year. One thing that i appreciated was Bob losing his chokehold on all these dates. Still HBO had a nice year, definately outdid the comp with better quality matchups on a limited budget and limited options with fighters, they made the most out of it.

Im hoping this change is better for the sport, the cold war is still very well being waged

Comment

Originally posted by elgranluchadore View Post
                150k ppvs is extremely weak, Chavez used to do those numbers while fighting bums in the old Latin Fury PPVS. For comparison Bradley vs Marquez more than doubled those numbers.

Yea they got the better off showtime this year but that's only because heyman left them in the cold, it still doesnt erase the entire past 5 years Hershman has been in command and unable to improve HBO the way he did with Showtime while he was there.
                yeah Bradley and marquez are big names. Golovkin fought a little known lemiuex. of course Bradley-marquez who have been in big fights gonna do better.
                oh your one of those "stuck in the past" guys. who gives a **** about 5 years ago. Hbo is better than showtime at the moment how the hell did he not improve it?

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                  what great fights are these?

They have names, but those names do not have a lot of options that fans care about. Wlad, Manny, Kov, Lomanchenko, Bradley,-their best fights would be against Haymon guys.

Crawford, should he beat Manny-his best fight would be Garcia or Floyd.

Once Canelo/GGG fight-the best fight for the winner is a Haymon fighter.

Only one who has really good non haymon options is Chocalito-and he is asking for money HBO seems reluctant to pay.
                  There arent any great fights. Hes a network fanboy who dissappeared after GGG failed and decided to come back when he felt it was safe

Comment

Anyway if you see alot of the accomplishments he listed where from Showtime not HBO but he did good over at HBO.

Im wondering if he is getting pushed out or if he is leaving on his own. I hear rumors of HBO cutting budget cause other shows are getting pricey but who knows if true.

ESPN just let some big boys go (300 i heard) cause they made mistake on buying very expensive rights to NFL and NBA mostly. Wonder if hell go that route since he is used to "small budget". Or maybe one of the new up and coming sports channels (NBSSN, CBSSN, FS1 & 2)

Comment

Originally posted by Fetta View Post
                      There arent any great fights. Hes a network fanboy who dissappeared after GGG failed and decided to come back when he felt it was safe
                      yeah, I guess I forgot about that.

Originally posted by Fetta View Post
                      Anyway if you see alot of the accomplishments he listed where from Showtime not HBO but he did good over at HBO.

Im wondering if he is getting pushed out or if he is leaving on his own. I hear rumors of HBO cutting budget cause other shows are getting pricey but who knows if true.

ESPN just let some big boys go (300 i heard) cause they made mistake on buying very expensive rights to NFL and NBA mostly. Wonder if hell go that route since he is used to "small budget". Or maybe one of the new up and coming sports channels (NBSSN, CBSSN, FS1 & 2)
                      Herschman does great with less, so if they are reducing their budget more, he would seem to be the perfect person for the job.

I doubt the GGG fight cost him his job as some are suggesting. I think he is getting a bigger job or just decided to get out now before things collapse. I never heard or read of any reason to push him out.

Comment

Working...
                      X