No announcement yet.

Gilberto Roman - Forgotten champion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gilberto Roman - Forgotten champion

It's a shame he's still yet to be inducted into the IBHOF in Canastota. He's long overdue IMO. The first world champion trained by Nacho Beristain. He had excellent skills, great technique and as a champion was dominant, very active and a globetrotter. A great win over Watanabe to win the title, a great series with another should be HOF'er in Lacias and other excellent victories and performances including regaining the title against Rojas.

IMO he's overlooked in terms of the best Mexican fighters and there's a reason why Nacho seemingly only rates him behind (Juan Manuel) Marquez of his champions. He's certainly one of the best fighters in the history of the 115 division and one of the best lighter weight guys of his generation.

Here's an article from the LA Times from when he passed away.

June 30, 1990|EARL GUSTKEY
    The news came as a shock. A world-class Mexican fighter was dead. Then, when it was learned later that Gilberto Roman had died in an auto accident Thursday, it opened old wounds, old heartaches.

Roman's death on the highway from Mexico City to Acapulco occurred eight years after another great Mexican fighter, Salvador Sanchez, had died in an auto accident.

Sanchez was 23 when he lost control of his new Porsche one night while driving alone, at high speed, on a highway north of Mexico City. He crashed into two trucks and died instantly.

Sanchez was a brilliant champion, his best fights still ahead of him. He was 43-2 at the time, 9-0 as the World Boxing Council featherweight champion. If he had lived, it's not out of the question to imagine his name in lights today on the marquees of Las Vegas.

Roman, at 29, had passed his peak and, in fact, had told friends recently he had retired from boxing, although he hadn't announced it publicly.

"I talked to him only 10 days ago," said a distraught Nacho Huizar, often a promoter of Roman's fights in Mexico.

"Gilberto and I and a lot of his other friends, we all had a big lunch at the Crown Hotel in Mexico City. He told us he was through boxing, that he wanted to find a good business to run somewhere in Mexico."

That may have been on Roman's mind Thursday, when he and four friends set out on the five-hour drive south, to Acapulco. He left his pregnant wife, Eva Patricia del Moral, and his 7-year-old daughter, Gabriela, at his Mexico City home.

Police said the car in which Roman was a passenger was struck by a truck near Chilpancingo, 130 miles from Mexico City. All five people in the car were killed.

Until he lost his World Boxing Council super-flyweight championship to Nana Konadu of Ghana last November in Mexico City, Gilberto Roman was a legitimate world champion. In fact, between 1986 and last month, Roman was one of the most successful champions of the 1980s.

He was 13-3 in world title fights. For his career, the two-time super-flyweight champion was 54-6-1, with 35 knockouts.

Roman was a solid technician, an exceptional defensive boxer. He was compact and sturdily built. His muscular build always suggested a power puncher, yet he was more technician than blaster.

"He was so sound fundamentally that every time I went to see him fight, I always felt he would gear his game up to just a notch above the level of his opponent, just enough to win," said Dean Lohuis, longtime Southland boxing statistician.

The 5-foot-3 Roman belonged in a "How to Box" video. His punches were short, economical, precise, accurate. No one ever saw Roman desperately flailing away. If no punch was there, none was thrown. His Guadalajara adviser-promoter, Rafael Mendoza, liked to call Roman "the Sugar Ray Leonard of the flyweights."

"If Gilberto was a middleweight, he'd be fighting Leonard and Roberto Duran today and he would beat both of them," Mendoza said a year ago.

Roman's upset loss to the hard-hitting Konadu shocked many of those who knew him best, but not close associates. Konadu knocked Roman down five times and easily won a decision in Mexico City in November.

His old friend, Huizar, suggested Friday that Roman had been simply burned out by this demanding sport.

"He used to be the hardest trainer you ever saw, but not the last two or three years," he said. "He was very tired. He'd been boxing since he was 9 years old. When he told us at lunch he was through with boxing, he seemed very happy."

Roman represented Mexico at the 1980 Moscow Olympic Games, where he lost a 3-2 decision in the quarterfinals to the eventual flyweight gold medalist, Petar Lessov of Bulgaria.

He turned pro in 1981 and was 40-3 in 1986, when he won the WBC 115-pound championship for the first time, from Jiro Watanabe. He lost the title to Argentina's Santos Laciar in 1987 but regained it in 1988 from Jose Rojas.

Three of his last five fights were at the Forum, including successful 1989 title defenses against Juan Carazo and Laciar. His last fight was June 10, when he lost on cuts to Moon Sung-Kil in Seoul. It was his 16th championship fight.

Woaw, I just finished watching a highlight feel by HanzAGod, he is a beautiful counter puncher, amazing footwork and defense. He is criminally overrated, especially in Mexican boxing lore. Nacho considered him to be his number 2 fighter behind JMM.

Comment

Originally posted by allanperlee View Post
      Woaw, I just finished watching a highlight feel by HanzAGod, he is a beautiful counter puncher, amazing footwork and defense. He is criminally overrated, especially in Mexican boxing lore. Nacho considered him to be his number 2 fighter behind JMM.
      You mean criminally underrated?

Indeed he was. I really recommend watching some of his full fights like the one's I mentioned. The Watanabe fight was an excellent win and display against a skilled, unbeaten champion in his backyard. The Laciar first two fights were good, close fights which he deserved a win (but got a draw) in Argentina and was stopped on cuts (while slightly ahead) but in the third he put on a clinic in his last great performance. Also, the first Rojas fight was a great fight.

I'm not one to trash fighters in the Hall or say "If so and so is in he should be", but Roman absolutely should be. He should have been in years ago. I plan on making my first trip to Canastota in June 2020 when Juan Manuel Marquez is inducted but if Roman gets inducted with Rafael Marquez next year I'll make that trip a year early. Sadly, I think he'll still remain ignored on the ballot even though I know some voters who always put a tick next to his name.
      Last edited by chrisJS; 02-07-2018, 06:22 PM.

Comment

My mistake! Of course, underrated! Roman was a excellent technician and a aesthetically pleasing one too. It's crazy, i agree with the Jiro win, that's a name that is often. heard in Japanese boxing history. Roman should be considered in the too 10 at least. I think his skills might have been better than Finito and Dinamita, but his wins haven't catapulted him to stardom. It's just the date of the lower weight fighters, sadly. You make that trip man, hopefully you get to make it while Roman is inducted.

Comment

It's a damn shame. Fighters with far less talent have got in.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
            It's a damn shame. Fighters with far less talent have got in.
            Far less talent, lesser accomplishments too. I don't want to name names but there's plenty in that aren't as good and in some cases entire year ballots of less deserving inductees.

Comment

Indeed, he is a forgotten champ, I remember doing a thread about him on here about 6 or 7 years ago and very few had even heard of him, which dumbfounded me.

Roman's premature death on top of such an impressive array of credentials, echos the life and times of Sanchez, who was gone a good few years younger at age 23, and therefore had far fewer fights although is still considered not only an all time great, but a very prominent one at that.

So am still wondering as to why Roman has been so badly overlooked...Not too sure why one has become so much greater than the other... Suppose it could be said, the featherweight division during Sanchez era had a fairly more seasoned stock than the super flyweight division did when Roman was fighting, and it's also fair to say that Sanchez was the more dominant and had a longer unbeaten run, but 14 successful defences over two consecutive reigns is also nothing to be scoffed at!

So as to why he's never been inducted into the IBHOF is well and truly beyond me.
              Both Salvador Sanchez and Gilberto Roman fought for the WBC, which was classified undisputed in Sanchez day.. Nevertheless, they were both World Boxing Council champs, and it's really they who should step in and at last, honour him with the respect he deserves.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
                Indeed, he is a forgotten champ, I remember doing a thread about him on here about 6 or 7 years ago and very few had even heard of him, which dumbfounded me.

Roman's premature death on top of such an impressive array of credentials, echos the life and times of Sanchez, who was gone a good few years younger at age 23, and therefore had far fewer fights although is still considered not only an all time great, but a very prominent one at that.

So am still wondering as to why Roman has been so badly overlooked...Not too sure why one has become so much greater than the other... Suppose it could be said, the featherweight division during Sanchez era had a fairly more seasoned stock than the super flyweight division did when Roman was fighting, and it's also fair to say that Sanchez was the more dominant and had a longer unbeaten run, but 14 successful defences over two consecutive reigns is also nothing to be scoffed at!

So as to why he's never been inducted into the IBHOF is well and truly beyond me.
                Both Salvador Sanchez and Gilberto Roman fought for the WBC, which was classified undisputed in Sanchez day.. Nevertheless, they were both World Boxing Council champs, and it's really they who should step in and at last, honour him with the respect he deserves.
                I think Sanchez dying right in his prime while the Gomez fight was only a year previously as opposed to Roman already being burned out and finished as a championship caliber fighter is a big reason. Also, Roman took his act on the road winning fights in Japan, Thailand, France, Argentina etc; where the fights weren't televised in the States and even difficult to find in Mexico whereas Sanchez was a national icon and had large US TV audiences too. He was a huge star whereas Roman seldom performed in front of a Mexican audience during his prime years.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
                  I think Sanchez dying right in his prime while the Gomez fight was only a year previously as opposed to Roman already being burned out and finished as a championship caliber fighter is a big reason. Also, Roman took his act on the road winning fights in Japan, Thailand, France, Argentina etc; where the fights weren't televised in the States and even difficult to find in Mexico whereas Sanchez was a national icon and had large US TV audiences too. He was a huge star whereas Roman seldom performed in front of a Mexican audience during his prime years.
                  Valid points!
                  And adds fire to what i'm saying as well

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
                    Far less talent, lesser accomplishments too. I don't want to name names but there's plenty in that aren't as good and in some cases entire year ballots of less deserving inductees.
                    Cough, cough... Gatti.

Comment

Working...
                    X