No announcement yet.

Oliver McCall ... Best Chin Ever?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TysonBomb View Post
    Has never been been knocked down in as a professional, amateur or even in sparring. I've never even noticed him hurt or even staggered or stunned. Even steel chinned Chuvalo was unofficially "knocked down" by Bonavena and Hagler, who is said to have an anatomically thicker skull, was floored once by Juan Roldan and stunned by Hearns. Jake LaMotta who is also credited with a iron chin was knocked down later in his career.

But McCall still holding up as of last year, at over the age of 45.

300+ rounds of sparring with prime Tyson, facing monster punchers such as Lennox Lewis, Bert Cooper, Frank Bruno, Buster Douglas etc. Even Shaq couldn't hurt this guy when they were sparring and Shaq was launching hayemakers into him. He didn't even flinch when he was having his emotional episode and was sobbing when Lewis was right there, bashing his face in. Lewis was firing and McCall didn't even care and didn't even seem to brace for impact. Dude wasn't even ever caught off balance and buckled or dropped or pushed down or anything.

Truly un-knockout-able.

The Atomic Bull ... GOAT chin
    Stunned by Hearns yes, but he's arguably the greatest puncher of all time. That to me is one of the big things I point toward that makes me absolutely certain Hagler had one of the greatest chins of all time.

The knock down against Roldan was irrefutably a pull. He hooked around Hagler's head, and then pulled Hagler off balance and down. You can see a thousand replays that show as clear as day that the punch didn't even hit him. Hagler has never been down and got caught clean by a greater puncher P4P (two in fact along with the Mugabi shot) than anyone McCall fought and was only briefly stunned.

Anyway, there are lots of guys like that to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
      Stunned by Hearns yes, but he's arguably the greatest puncher of all time. That to me is one of the big things I point toward that makes me absolutely certain Hagler had one of the greatest chins of all time.

The knock down against Roldan was irrefutably a pull. He hooked around Hagler's head, and then pulled Hagler off balance and down. You can see a thousand replays that show as clear as day that the punch didn't even hit him. Hagler has never been down and got caught clean by a greater puncher P4P (two in fact along with the Mugabi shot) than anyone McCall fought and was only briefly stunned.

Anyway, there are lots of guys like that to be honest.
      I think Hagler and McCall are pretty much in the same class ... but I'd give it to McCall because he's a heavyweight.

And because he literally walked through Lennox Lewis' punches like they were nothing ... remember the second Lewis fight? He was standing there, sobbing and having a mental break down with his hands to his sides getting clocked by Lennox. I've never seen anything like that ... and Lennox is a huge puncher ... and so are guys like Bert Cooper, Frank Bruno, Tony Tucker, Buster Douglas and Iron Mike (whom he sparred over 300 rounds with and Tyson couldn't put a dent in him).

He fought recently last year and has had his chin hold up into his mid 40s! I mean if Hagler is anatomically more able to take strikes to the head then McCall is not even human. I remember him sparring Shaq on that show and 7'1" 350 lbs Shaquille O'Neal couldn't crack that guy.

I don't even think freaking Foreman or Shavers could KO that guy

Originally posted by Jel View Post
      This is what's wrong with Klitscho fans.

Vitali's chin is severely over rated and is no where near the horizons of Mccall.

The reason Vitali wasn't knocked the **** out against Lewis after that upper cut was because that was a 37 year old (a few monthes from 38) 260 pound, corpse Lennox who walked straight from a buffet into the ring. Which meant Lennox was incapable of pushing Vitali off. Vitali was gone, you could tell from his eyes that upper cut basically knocked him out. Vitali just clinged on to old Lewis and refused to let go. Young or Prime Lewis would have pushed the robot off and followed through with a barrage of combinations and right hands which would have send Vitali down on the ground.

Vitali was gone against Sanders too, but the bell saved him (and the fact Sanders was 40 and was incapable of finishing it off in the next round).

Mccall on the other hand, literally took barrages of bombs from multiple big punchers and still survived. The difference being, the bombs Mccall took was from heavyweights during their physical prime, the bombs Vitali took was from old almost shot heavyweights on the last run of their careers.
      Vitali SAW all of those shots coming which is why he was able to survive. Prime Lennox would get the KO over him instead of the TKO. Vitali was visibly hurt from some of them but shots from the same guy couldn't even make McCall flinch.

Sanders would've had Vitali out of there if he was younger and in his prime.

Comment

I have never seen McCall staggered. I haven't seen half of his fights, but I've seen him against some big punchers. Like anyone else, he doesn't like to get hit, but the punches look like they have no effect on his legs and equilibrium.

Comment

Just watched some more McCALL fights.

I actually think this guy would have been a live under dog against Wladimir.Not the sobbing version, but when he was serious and came to fight (which was like 45% of the time)

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy Horton View Post
            Corrie Sanders got him though it was officially ruled a slip. It was a knockdown.
            Don't make me laugh! He was recovered in matter of seconds and that push/hug from the back is a knockdown?!

Comment

This is what's wrong with Klitscho fans
              I think there is something wrong with you - better re-watch that first round between Sanders/Vitali. Vitali was saved by a bell - hilarious!

Vitali was gone, you could tell from his eyes

You had a few decent topics but now you are all non-sense...
              Last edited by Simurgh; 11-18-2012, 09:44 AM.

Comment

I rate them like this:

Juan LaPorte
                Oliver Mccall
                Hector Camacho

Comment

McCall was stunned briefly against Bruno. A bit of a leg sagger, not too much, but it was there. Definitely up there though. Atomic bull really says it!

Comment

Just watched some more McCALL fights.

I actually think this guy would have been a live under dog against Wladimir.Not the sobbing version, but when he was serious and came to fight (which was like 45% of the time)
                    Wlad is an inferior version of Lennox

Hey may punch harder and have a better jab but he lacked the inside fighting skills of Lewis and has an even worse chin

McCall could've KOed Wlad the same way he got Lewis in their first fight ... even with Steward in his corner ... Wlad wouldn't trade like Lewis did but I can still see him getting caught by a big right hand

Comment

I would mention Giacobbe "Jake" LaMotta.

Great chin and unbelievable heart.

Comment

Working...
                      X