No announcement yet.

Floyd sr. and the Hall of Fame

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
    If Gatti got in then Roger should easily make the cut.

Floyd Sr has a chance as a trainer. Oscar De la Hoya raves about him and says he is the best he ever worked with.

Hoya is a known dummy. Doesn't matter how much he raves. Fact is, he looked terrible under Floyd sr., and even lost his vaunted lefhook under the predator's tutelage.

Training a past it Hoya doesn't get one into the Hall these days, does it?

Gatti must have made it mostly on the strength of his classic encounters with Ward. I would say Ward will make the Hall right after his wife is inducted.
    Last edited by The Old LefHook; 12-14-2017, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
      Hoya is a known dummy. Doesn't matter how much he raves. Fact is, he looked terrible under Floyd sr., and even lost his vaunted lefhook under the predator's tutelage.

Training a past it Hoya doesn't get one into the Hall these days, does it?
      Oscar worked with several great trainers so his opinions hold some weight.

Chad Dawson was at his best when working with Sr. And currently Chris Eubank Jr crosses the Atlantic to get some work in with him.

His boxing story isn't over yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuyukut View Post
        ex-convicts should be disqualified in the hall of fame.

putting the mayweathers' in the hall of fame is like conferring charles manson as a father of the year award.
        There would be quite a few people they would have to remove. Wouldn't be a hall anymore but a closet.

Comment

gatti made it possible for everyone to get in

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
            There would be quite a few people they would have to remove. Wouldn't be a hall anymore but a closet.
            too true. its a violent sport. some of its athletes/promoters will have checkered pasts

Comment

no way. who else has the crack head trained?

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                Roger was a damn good fighter too.

I think Roger deserves it if you take everything into account.

but that's not how they'll evaluate his career. he'd be evaluated as a boxer [never sniffing the hall of fame for it,] and separately as a trainer.

i honestly expect both to get in eventually for training floyd. he's the best pure boxer i have ever seen, one of a small handful of the most accomplished fighters of all time [top 25, give or take,] and they taught him how to fight exclusively. he's also the most paid boxer ever, and was its biggest star for a number of years. it's called the hall of "fame" after all.
                Last edited by New England; 12-15-2017, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                  but that's not how they'll evaluate his career. he'd be evaluated as a boxer [never sniffing the hall of fame for it,] and separately as a trainer.

i honestly expect both to get in eventually for training floyd. he's the best pure boxer i have ever seen, one of a small handful of the most accomplished fighters of all time [top 25, give or take,] and they taught him how to fight exclusively. he's also the most paid boxer ever, and was its biggest star for a number of years. it's called the hall of "fame" after all.
                  Sadly yes.

He might, I dunno. I think he deserves it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post

Gatti must have made it mostly on the strength of his classic encounters with Ward. I would say Ward will make the Hall right after his wife is inducted.
                    You obviously have not seen Gattis other fights besides the Ward bouts.....

Comment

Roger Mayweather was a tough fighter, Black Mamba had some wicked power. Not HOF though......

Comment

Working...
                      X