Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which were the thoughts of Thomas Hearns after the dead of James Shuler?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which were the thoughts of Thomas Hearns after the dead of James Shuler?

I was watching the fight, great performance by Hearns, but is interesting the fact that James Shuler (R.I.P.) died 10 days after the fight.
    I was searching and found some old papers with details about his accident in motorcycle, but there isn't anything about what Hearns had to said.
    So i want to know if someone knows something about it.
    Thanks.

I'm glad to see that you mentioned Shuler. When Shuler was training for the Hearns fight him and Eddie Futch and Bobby Lewis came to the gym I was fighting out of in Denver, Sam Boardmans gym.

Shuler and a group of Futch's fighters stayed for about 2 weeks or so. I got to know Shuler. He was a real relaxed and confident guy going into the Hearns fight.

"Black Gold" was a pretty good guy. I was sad to see him lose, then a few days later I heard he died. Man, that stunned me.
    Sam Boardman told me that Shuler just bought the bike and was on his way home from the dealership when the accident occurred.

Your thread really brings back some memories.

Comment

Originally posted by watchayouhead View Post
      I'm glad to see that you mentioned Shuler. When Shuler was training for the Hearns fight him and Eddie Futch and Bobby Lewis came to the gym I was fighting out of in Denver, Sam Boardmans gym.

Shuler and a group of Futch's fighters stayed for about 2 weeks or so. I got to know Shuler. He was a real relaxed and confident guy going into the Hearns fight.

"Black Gold" was a pretty good guy. I was sad to see him lose, then a few days later I heard he died. Man, that stunned me.
      Sam Boardman told me that Shuler just bought the bike and was on his way home from the dealership when the accident occurred.

It's always nice to hear these stories, Shuler was a really solid fighter and Hearns seemed to respect him a lot after the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by watchayouhead View Post

I didn't know he had just bought the motorcycle. Too bad.

Shuler was a pretty good fighter. I watched he coming up and he looked like he had a good future. I was shocked at what Hearns did and how he did it. I was saddened when I seen in the paper what happened after. Shuler was too young to go.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
          I didn't know he had just bought the motorcycle. Too bad.

Shuler was a pretty good fighter. I watched he coming up and he looked like he had a good future. I was shocked at what Hearns did and how he did it. I was saddened when I seen in the paper what happened after. Shuler was too young to go.
          Stay away from motorcycles. Thrill seekers will never heed the advice. Regardless of your driving habits, most crashes with a car leave the motorcyclist dead or impaired for life.

Comment

Yeah, didn't Paul Williams get paralyzed from a motorcycle accident?

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
              Yeah, didn't Paul Williams get paralyzed from a motorcycle accident?
              Yes, he was training for a fight against Canelo.

Comment

Hmm, wonder what his chances would've been. Canelo hits harder, but Williams could've won a decision with the volume of punches he threw. I guess Canelo would've been the favorite. At least he ended up beating everyone he fought.

Comment

Not take the thread away from James Shuler who is among many fighters that deserve discussion.

Several known boxers died or suffered severe injuries on two wheels.
                  Paul Williams and Diego Corrales are the freshest on memory, but there are several others:
                  Former wbo light heavyweight champion Julio Cesar Gonzalez(died)
                  James Shuler(Died)
                  unbeaten cruiserweight prospect(12-0) Andre Prophet(died)
                  Long time contender Tony Thornton(died 11 days after a collision)
                  HOF heavyweight Young Stribling(died)
                  Last edited by TBear; 09-26-2016, 01:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X