No announcement yet.

Kavanagh calls for Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz 3 on St. Patrick’s Day

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kavanagh calls for Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz 3 on St. Patrick’s Day

Conor McGregor’s head coach John Kavanagh rubbished claims that “The Notorious” will meet Nate Diaz for a third time on Dec. 30, as was reported by Irish newspaper, The Sunday World, last weekend.

Kavanagh appeared alongside McGregor’s striking coach, Owen Roddy, in Dublin on Wednesday and claimed that his preferred date for the trilogy fight would be St Patrick’s Day, March 17, in New York.

“December 30th is definitely not happening,” John Kavanagh told Mike Sheridan at the launch of the Original Penguin AW17 collection.

“I don’t know how these things get started, but they have a certain way of gaining momentum.

“I can also tell you that his manager rang me this morning saying that him and Conor had been in meetings all day. Obviously, tomorrow is when we would start to consider the date.

“If it was my choice, and I must stress that this is only my choice and that doesn’t mean it’s going to happen, it would be Nate Diaz in March,” Kavanagh continued. “That’s what I would push towards.

“I have in my head that it would be a Paddy’s Day card in New York, Nate Diaz 3. I think that would be absolutely amazing. That’s what I would wish for.

“That’s what I’ll be leaning towards with my 0.1 percent influence when I meet with Conor and Audie (Attar) tomorrow. I want Diaz 3, Paddy’s Day in New York.

“Obviously, it could still be Canelo in May,” Kavanagh added, laughing.

Roddy agreed with Kavanagh, underlining the rivalry between Diaz and McGregor that makes their matchups so appealing.

“I’d second that. I like the whole build-up of the Diaz brothers, it’s a bit mental and it’s exciting,” Roddy told Sheridan. “I think that’s why everybody likes to see those two guys fight. It’s just big when those guys start going back and forth. That’s what it’s all about.”

Although a lot of people believe that the next person McGregor faces will be determined by who wins the interim lightweight title fight between Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee at UFC 216, Kavanagh thinks that Diaz makes more sense than any other opponent.

“At the end of the second fight, [Diaz] came over and he was very respectful to me. Behind it all there’s a nod and wink and a mutual respect for the fighting,” Kavanagh explained.

“Now, in saying that, when it’s announced I’m sure that Conor’s going to be going at him and Nate will go back at him. At this stage, I mention Diaz and people are shouting, ‘What about Khabib?’ or, ‘What about Tony?’ ... And there’s Kevin Lee and some other guys, (people say) ‘They’re due their shot!’”

“Really, Conor doesn’t have to do that anymore. He won the featherweight belt, interim and unified. He won the lightweight belt. At this stage he’s only doing fights because they’re fun. A big fight build-up and to win that — that will do for me anyway.”

Kavanagh continued, highlighting why Diaz is the perfect opponent for McGregor in terms of sport and entertainment.

“I always think that if I was develop a fighter that would give Conor his best or worst night, either way you look at it, I would come up with Nate Diaz,” Kavanagh said.

“He can walk through anything, he can match him somewhat in the trash talk and then you have the thing between Conor’s crew and his crew.

“For a bunch of reasons (Diaz is the right fight). It’s not just about being the right guy — that’s all amateur level. This is professional and it’s about entertainment.

“(MMA) is part sport, part entertainment and I just find it hard to think of a better build-up and a better show than that trilogy fight.”

Conor is probably going to retire. Who makes 100 million then goes back to the UFC to be paid like 2 million? They should do the 3rd fight in Boxing instead.

Comment

Who goes back to fighting after making that much money? I'd say a guy that's only 29 and feels he can still make a lot more for a few more years before he retires.

Comment

Makes no sense.

That’s just fight fanaticism.

Real life, you make that much money, you’re walking away.

Comment

You guys might be right. After all, Ward just retired. Maybe Diaz 3 will be his last fight. And winning a rubber match with a rival on St. Patrick's Day is a hell of a way for an Irishman to go out.
          Last edited by Anthony342; 10-01-2017, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
            Who goes back to fighting after making that much money? I'd say a guy that's only 29 and feels he can still make a lot more for a few more years before he retires.
            ...People who love it? Even looking at it purely from a monetary point of view, who walks away from a sport they're so dominant at when there's so much money left to be made and they're still in their athletic prime and at the height of their fame?

Comment

Yep, good point. Plus he's got a son and raising a kid can get expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                Yep, good point. Plus he's got a son and raising a kid can get expensive.
                Being Conor Mac is expensive too, he's notorious (pun intended) for spending a lot of $$$.

Comment

LOL I saw that post about Conor being willing to fight by the end of the year, but only if he didn't have to promote the fight lol. I think that was his way of saying he's gonna hype a fight as well as he's being paid in the future. So either the UFC is gonna have to up his pay or he's gonna do that senate or congress hearing about the Muhammad Ali Act for MMA becoming a reality which the UFC has spent a mill or two lobbying against last I heard.

So I think there is a bit of a underground behind the scenes battle going on with the UFC & Conor right now so I suspect March or later is about right for Conor's next fight, if he fights in the UFC again cuz I still think we got about a equal shot seeing Conor vs Diaz III & Conor vs Paulie in the ring next. And if Conor fights tomorrow's interim title winner next I'd be really surprised cuz it might be the hardest fight out there for him that has the least upside $-wise (unless Kevin Lee wins & captures the publics imagination cuz he's a hype artist himself a lil bit).

Comment

Working...
                  X