Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is my dad right about Hopkins being severely overrated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pan-Africanist View Post
    The man did lose to Jermaine Taylor. Twice..
    True but many, myself included thought Hopkins won both fights. Although he didn't stay that good very long the Taylor who fought Hopkins was damn good and I think he was 27 years old to Hopkins's 40 years of age.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadblock View Post
      He didnt weigh lighter than Oscar on fight night, I dont know why guys judge fighters at their weigh-in dehydrated state when they are nowhere near that when they actually fight.

Imagine a Court and you said he was lighter than Oscar, and I said objection, during the fight Bernard was 176lbs and Oscar 165, what do you think the judge is going to rule ?

Bhop had both Oscar and Tito beaten at the weights, a much bigger man it just depended on how he made the weight, Hurd loses 30lbs and its a great advantage, but if you botch it up like Oscar -Manny youre dead man walking.

Weight is a science and so taken for granted by fans, the relationships between getting through camp to make the 30hr dry weight, and then to fight weight , the meshing of all that will paint more of an accurate picture to judge a performance by, it must be taken into account because it will effect the result of the fight more than anything else will, referencing a dehydrated weight where they just look at each other makes no sense to me at all.
      If somebody is good at making a low weight and then putting on lots of weight after the weigh in they still played by the rules and are not a cheater or a weight bully. They deserve full credit for their victories. Did Oscar and Hopkins really weight 165 and 176 respectively on fight night or are you just guessing that is what they weighed? I liked the same day weigh ins much better but we are stuck with today's rules and boxers who follow the rules should not be faulted.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
        If somebody is good at making a low weight and then putting on lots of weight after the weigh in they still played by the rules and are not a cheater or a weight bully. They deserve full credit for their victories. Did Oscar and Hopkins really weight 165 and 176 respectively on fight night or are you just guessing that is what they weighed? I liked the same day weigh ins much better but we are stuck with today's rules and boxers who follow the rules should not be faulted.
        Im guessing the weights based on their other fights, bhop often came in around 180 but the 158 CW weigh-in would have restricted how much he raises when rehydrating, when at a lighter weight they cant rehydrate the same amount they would if fighting higher. Its a slippery slope.

I agree Id like same day weigh-ins and an official weight an hour before they fight, too much manipulation is open with a 30hr weigh-in mixed with CW fights.

As you say you cant blame the fighter for using the rules to win thats what pros do good luck to them, but we can use the information to judge the merits of a fighter, most fans dont care about this stuff they only care who wins and then proceed to bag who ever lost lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Pan-Africanist View Post
          The man did lose to Jermaine Taylor. Twice..
          f that he beat taylor twice. HBO at the time hated Hopkins cause he's was "boring" and taylor was the face of hbo boxing. Taylor got two gift decisions against Hopkins and against winky. You guys think canelo gets special treatment f'n taylor takes that cake with that bs

Comment

He's all time great ballbuster--ask Winky.
            And ass in the air: "He hit me in da nutsack" faker. Ask Calzaghe
            Nonpareil.

Comment

True but many, myself included thought Hopkins won both fights. Although he didn't stay that good very long the Taylor who fought Hopkins was damn good and I think he was 27 years old to Hopkins's 40 years of age.
              I thought he won the first fight.

Comment

Originally posted by #mandownESJR1 View Post
                f that he beat taylor twice. HBO at the time hated Hopkins cause he's was "boring" and taylor was the face of hbo boxing. Taylor got two gift decisions against Hopkins and against winky. You guys think canelo gets special treatment f'n taylor takes that cake with that bs
                I thought he won the first fight.

Comment

Hopkins losing his belts and record setting title reign at middleweight was a far worse robbery than GGG losing his to Canelo.

He should have an extra defence on his record.

He smashed Taylor in the second half of that fight despite being the older, slower guy.

Comment

I never liked Hopkins as a character nor from the style point of view. But the man is one of the greats in the sport, very long reigning champ who beat some pretty big names at 160 and did incredible things at 40+ years old at 175. Hate him or love him, his place in boxing history and in the HOF is definitely secured.

Comment

It says alot about a fighter when you have to use losses when they are 40+ to discredit them. The Hopkins that won his first title all the way up to age 35 batters every single one of these current middleweights.

Comment

Working...
                      X