No announcement yet.

Wlad's "weak" chin

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    He did not try to rematch Sanders. If he had wanted hi he could have gotten him, just like Vits against Byrd.

http://www.************.com/2010/06/...ght-a-rematch/

Corrie Sanders doesn’t know why Wladimir Klitschko never sought a rematch

By Jim Dower: Former WBO heavyweight champion Corrie Sanders (42-4, 31 KO’s) wishes that Wladimir Klitschko had sought to avenge his 2nd round knockout loss to him, and Sanders, now 44, doesn’t understand why Klitschko never tried to avenge his knockout loss to him. In an article at Sportbox.ru, Sanders says “Yes, it would be nice to fight him [Wladimir] again. I do not know why he never wanted a rematch.” Sanders latter on went up against Wladimir’s big brother Vitali Klitschko, who after a shaky start in which he was staggered and almost dropped, came back to batter Sanders to a pulp and stop him in the 8th round in April 2004. Sanders points out that Vitali’s size was too much, saying “But he [Vitali] is so big that it was difficult to beat him.”

Sanders thinks that Wladimir is vulnerable still, and doesn’t know if Wladimir would be still standing if he gets hit solid. However, Sanders thinks that Wladimir’s opponents have to be “bold and assertive” for them to beat him. He says that’s how Wladimir can make mistakes. Sanders “In our battle, Wladimir underestimated me, but afterwards he made adjustments.”

Sanders, a 6’4” southpaw, with lightning fast hands and huge power, was a very dangerous heavyweight in the 90s and the early 2000s. He never was able to make it past a certain level until late in his career when he shocked Wladimir by stopping him in the 2nd round. At the time, Sanders was 37-years-old, and Wladimir may have been thinking he was an older fighter and thus no longer dangerous.

You could see in the way that Wladimir fought him by going out and trying to slug with Sanders, that he didn’t really understand how much of a threat Sanders was until it was far too late. Wladimir ended up getting nailed with a number of big left hands from Sanders and knocked down twice near the end of the 1st round. In the 2nd, Sanders put Klitschko away after knocking him down for a third time.

It seemed like Sanders really had Klitschko’s number and even if there had been a rematch, many people believe Sanders would have easily knocked Wladimir out again. But to his credit, Wladimir soon after got a new trainer, Emanuel Steward, and after one more loss to Lamon Brewster, Wladimir has been unbeaten for the past six years, winning his last 12 fights. For his part, Sanders was beaten in his next fight after the Wladimir win, losing to Vitali Klitschko by knockout.

Sanders then beat three 2nd tier fighters before getting stopped in the 1st round two years ago by fellow South African Osborne Machimana. At 44, it’s hard to imagine Sanders being able to get into good enough shape to fight Wladimir.
    Jabs debunks and yet another Klit stan.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedi Vader View Post
      Jabs debunks and yet another Klit stan.
      Did he? I thought Simurgh said that Sanders chose Vitali instead of Wlad?

Comment

• Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
        Did he? I thought Simurgh said that Sanders chose Vitali instead of Wlad?
        You absolutely right...........after he tried to say "he tried to rematch Sanders".

Comment

You absolutely right...........after he tried to say "he tried to rematch Sanders".
          Not that it matters to me. Several HOF'ers didn't revenge their losses anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
            Not that it matters to me. Several HOF'ers didn't revenge their losses anyway.
            Thats all good and nice. I'll remember to call anyone on that should they try and lie saying these HOF'ers did try to make rematches. Cool?

Comment

I based my opinion on the post-fight interviews.
              Sanders (RIP) spoke more about Vitali and possible match and Wlad insisted he'll rematch Sanders.

Also I remember reading somewhere Wladimir was thinking to rematch Sanders after second Brewster fight, but them it made more sense to go for the unification fights.
              Last edited by Simurgh; 02-26-2013, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Thats all good and nice. I'll remember to call anyone on that should they try and lie saying these HOF'ers did try to make rematches. Cool?
                Chill out, dude!
                I explained myself.

My bad, I might assumed some things. You are too quick on calling someone a liar.

Comment

• Originally posted by Simurgh View Post
                  Chill out, dude!
                  I explained myself.

My bad, I might assumed some things. You are too quick on calling someone a liar.
                  You explained yourself AFTER I posted that, so maybe you're the one who needs to chill out. But the fact is whether you drew that conclusion based on assumption or not, it still isn't true. My appologies though if I came off harsh, I wasn't trying to insult you personally.

Comment

• Sanders would have beaten Wlad again. Wlad made a mistake in thinking that Corrie was due for retirement, but he still had some top ten level contender strength in the tank.

I actually suspect that Wlad, in true Wlad style, was waiting for Corrie to get really old before calling him out and rematching him, and beating up a fortysomething.

Comment

Working...
                    X