Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

People actually asked Joseph Parker if he was considering retiring??!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People actually asked Joseph Parker if he was considering retiring??!

That seems like such a ridiculous thing to ask. He lost two fights, but didn't get knocked out or even take a beating in either. Then he even came close to taking Whyte out in the last round of their fight. And he's only in his mid 20s.

The whole thing about protecting records and thinking it's the end of the world if a top fighter loses is getting out of hand.

I agree 100% that the undefeated thing is given too much credit, but I also think that Parker doesn't have what it takes to rise above his weaknesses. Yes he missed KOing Whyte by a few seconds, but *DID* take a beating from Whyte early on. Let's face it, he got dropped by a limited talent fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by club fighter View Post
      I agree 100% that the undefeated thing is given too much credit, but I also think that Parker doesn't have what it takes to rise above his weaknesses. Yes he missed KOing Whyte by a few seconds, but *DID* take a beating from Whyte early on. Let's face it, he got dropped by a limited talent fighter.
      Yeah, I guess I think of guys like Berto or Martin Murray or Sullivan Barrera who are similar in how they lose to the top tier fighters, but if all those types of guys just quit and retired after they lost once or twice there'd be a hell of a shortage of talented fighters near the tops of divisions.

Comment

Parker has proven he's not a top fighter but there are still tons of winnable fights out there for him. No reason to retire if he's in good health and still wants to fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Julia Slobberts View Post
          That seems like such a ridiculous thing to ask. He lost two fights, but didn't get knocked out or even take a beating in either. Then he even came close to taking Whyte out in the last round of their fight. And he's only in his mid 20s.

The whole thing about protecting records and thinking it's the end of the world if a top fighter loses is getting out of hand.
          Parker's already talks about retiring at 30, once the boxer brings up retirement I guess its a valid question to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Julia Slobberts View Post

I agree. Retirement for Parker is ridiculous. He lost a close fight to AJ and his lost to Whyte was debatable. He is only in his mid 20s and with a few improvements he could be the best heavyweight in the world. He is a good boxer and a good puncher with a solid chin and good stamina and he is young and can improve.

Comment

It is crazy, in a lot of people's eyes a decent fighter who's 30 - 0 against bums is superior to an excellent fighter who's 27 - 3 against top tier competition.

Comment

I think people pick up on his lack lustre performance and come to the conclusion he doesn’t really want to be in there.

He has looked so passive in his last few fights, it begs the question

Comment

It’s what guys like whyte do

They take souls

Which is why no amount of money can get wilder to fight him

Comment

Originally posted by Armchairhero View Post
                    I think people pick up on his lack lustre performance and come to the conclusion he doesn’t really want to be in there.

He has looked so passive in his last few fights, it begs the question
                    It begs the question if you're an idiot.. boxing is his career, he's 26 years old fighting at the absolute top level in his weight division. Why would he retire? He could take a break or take a step down in competition, but losing a fight to the guy most people consider #1 (taking him 12 rounds in the process) and losing a competitive, if not controversial, fight to Whyte all in the same year doesn't indicate he wants to retire at all. He stepped up the competition in a big way and he's had some problems, he's 26, there's plenty of time to improve and plenty more money to be made.

Comment

Working...
                    X