Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did You reach your Full Punching Power Potential (Ceiling)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did You reach your Full Punching Power Potential (Ceiling)

Hello,

I am still pretty fresh to boxing. I've been boxing for a few months now including some strength conditioning.
    I was curious and interested to know when:

*You reached your max punching power potential (ceiling) Was in it a matter or weeks, months, years?

*How much did your power improve after starting boxing?

I know that proper technique has a huge factor in this, but I want to hear your guys' experience!

Thanks!
    Last edited by DespicableMi; 07-24-2017, 01:47 PM. Reason: Wrong Section

Originally posted by DespicableMi View Post
    Hello,

I am still pretty fresh to boxing. I've been boxing for a few months now including some strength conditioning.
    I was curious and interested to know when:

*You reached your max punching power potential (ceiling) Was in it a matter or weeks, months, years?

*How much did your power improve after starting boxing?

I know that proper technique has a huge factor in this, but I want to hear your guys' experience!

Thanks!

Once you get your technique right you get a massive power boost. That will take years.
    The more efficient your technique is the more power you can generate without packing up muscle mass.

Comment

I probably punch harder now but then I'm in a higher weight category than 5 years ago so mass needs to be factored in.
      Very hard question to judge, unless you are a heavyweight throughout your boxing training, fighters go up and down in weight (I've gone as low as 150 when I was young as I took a fight that had good potential and I've fought as high as 164) I've never fought pro, just at semi pro level, so weight has fluctuated more and you tend to have more pre agreed catch weights to make fights more competitive/happen

Comment

Originally posted by Richard P View Post
        I probably punch harder now but then I'm in a higher weight category than 5 years ago so mass needs to be factored in.
        Very hard question to judge, unless you are a heavyweight throughout your boxing training, fighters go up and down in weight (I've gone as low as 150 when I was young as I took a fight that had good potential and I've fought as high as 164) I've never fought pro, just at semi pro level, so weight has fluctuated more and you tend to have more pre agreed catch weights to make fights more competitive/happen
        I know that you said how you went up in weight class, but have you ever had to go down in weight from a higher weight?

I am trying to go down in weight class as low as I can go. I am currently walking weight of 122, but I want to aim for 115 or even 112 in walking weight. I'm pretty fit, but I definitely have extra fat and water weight to lose.

Would my punching power drastically decrease or be relatively the same? I know there are many factors into this, but just wanted your opinion. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by BuakawBanchamek View Post
          Once you get your technique right you get a massive power boost. That will take years.
          The more efficient your technique is the more power you can generate without packing up muscle mass.
          Very true, thanks for your input!

Comment

nothing huge,

i tended to be sitting naturally around 154 a lot when i was young, remember taking a fight at 164 and then needing to come back down to a 156.5 catch weight but i had a good 8 months between so was quite easy. starting quite gentle in as i had time on my side and then by the time a ramped the training up 8 weeks out (again from memory) i only had 7 odd pounds to shift so was easy

dont get too obsessed with weight, simulate a fight camp for 2 or 3 weeks (even with no fight planned) and at 3 weeks weigh yourself, it will give a good indication of how low you can go

Comment

Working...
            X