Collapse
No announcement yet.

Analysis of Golovkin's Power

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also got to look at his physical attributes. His back and forearms aren't built like most fighters.

Comment

I'd at his punch power is 7. But he's a very good boixer who cuts ri g off well.
      Willie Munro saiud he hgas solid power.

Comment

Ive truly believe that what makes him a great puncher is his accuracy and positioning + balance.
        About power, I doon't even think hes the most powerful at 160, Lemiex hits harder than him. If GGG is 8 Lemule is 9 or more but here is the sweet science.
        Pure punchers connect with a 9-10 power shot 1-2 times in 10 attemps.
        Golovkin on other hand connects his 8 power shot 4 times in 5 attempts.

It the non stop consistency of 8 power punches that break down everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by IllegalDeath View Post
          Ive truly believe that what makes him a great puncher is his accuracy and positioning + balance.
          About power, I doon't even think hes the most powerful at 160, Lemiex hits harder than him. If GGG is 8 Lemule is 9 or more but here is the sweet science.
          Pure punchers connect with a 9-10 power shot 1-2 times in 10 attemps.
          Golovkin on other hand connects his 8 power shot 4 times in 5 attempts.

It the non stop consistency of 8 power punches that break down everyone.
          Great points. I think that is what makes him so great. He has great power, a true boxer puncher. I wish he moved up soon, I think he could be p4p #1 and have belts in multiple weight classes to be an all time great but he just seems so intent on unifying in 160lbs. I guess it makes sense though. Clean out a weight class then move up. The issue is also his age. He is not a young guy, and regardless of his physical attributes, his style is not one that ages well.

Comment

Here you have Darnell Boone talking GGG, the guy is a big puncher himself and knocked down Ward, almost stopped him, he knocked out Stevenson and knocked down Kovalev. The guy was in the ring with the best and has been sparring with GGG and several top fighters.

He says GGG hits as hard with 16oz Training Gloves as Kovalev hits with 10oz Fighting Gloves.

Listen to the full interview here:

Comment

He is 10/10, he isn't the biggest natural puncher out there, for example, David Lemiux it's a better natural puncher than Golovkin, he got speed, explosiveness and can knock out people cold, but Golovkin is the superior PUNCHER, he is great at picking his shots, really educated hands, accurate, really good technique, patient and heavy handed, sits well on his punches and isn't looking for the knockout with every punch, so his opponents get wrecked slowly, he reminds me a lot of Julio Cesar Chavez, he breaks guys down, a Julio Cesar Chavez with heavier hands, he is probably about 7/10 on natural raw power, but the guy is 10/10 if you count every aspect you want in a puncher.

Comment

Originally posted by Randomum View Post
                Hey guys I wanted to discuss Golovkin's incredible power. A few things that are interesting though is he is not putting guys to sleep. Most of his recent stoppages have been TKO's, despite this the look on guy's faces when he first land tells you he is incredibly powerful.

Examples of this are the first knockdown off Curtis Stevens, the whole fight with Wade, and the knockout of Matthew Macklin.

Also there are tales of his sparring sessions with heavyweights who swear his punch feels like a heavy.

How powerful is is punch? Is it truly that he is so powerful, or is it the pressure and skilled offense in unison with a good but not amazing power like that of Julian Jackson.

Something that makes this debate difficult is his former opponents all claim he does not punch as hard as they thought despite the fact that they got KO'ed (Stevens, Rosado, Brook).

What are your thoughts? I think his hard bones due to his heritage (Korean + Kazahk) creates punches that are heavy, though they do not look explosive like Pacquiao, Jones, Jackson, Klitschko.

What do you guys rate his power 1-10? I think Julian Jackson is a 10.

From my opinion Golovkin his punch is an 8. Why? Guys like Rosado, Brook, Murray went multiple rounds with him and got hit flush without going to sleep. I think what sets him apart is how good he cuts off the ring. A skilled fighter like Brook who can handle decent pressure could not handle Golovkin, Wade a decent technician could not avoid being on the ropes (despite doing so with Rosado who is a decent fighter).

I wonder what you guys think of Kovalev, Jacobs, Stevenson, Joshua, Fury in regards to power. Let me know your thoughts guys.

Also is there anyone in middleweight that has good power that GGG hasn't defeated yet (Stevens, Lemieux)? Does Jacobs hit harder than Stevens? What about in recent past: Martinez?

Sorry for the rant but you guys have to believe that GGG's power is special.
                that "power" first round Tyson KOs should only stay at 160...

Comment

Originally posted by yngwie View Post
                  He is 10/10, he isn't the biggest natural puncher out there, for example, David Lemiux it's a better natural puncher than Golovkin, he got speed, explosiveness and can knock out people cold, but Golovkin is the superior PUNCHER, he is great at picking his shots, really educated hands, accurate, really good technique, patient and heavy handed, sits well on his punches and isn't looking for the knockout with every punch, so his opponents get wrecked slowly, he reminds me a lot of Julio Cesar Chavez, he breaks guys down, a Julio Cesar Chavez with heavier hands, he is probably about 7/10 on natural raw power, but the guy is 10/10 if you count every aspect you want in a puncher.
                  I like that summary. GGG has an excellent punch variation and he never throws punches at the same speed, he varies speed alot, sometimes he just swings a bit wildly like against Brook, but sometimes he throws amazing uppercuts and unorthodox overhands like against Rubio, in another fight he knocks em out with a body shot like against Macklin. His left is the better hand but he hurts you with every shot he throws.

Comment

His power is 10/10. People say he is slow, has bad form, whatever. Yet, he is still stopping guys. Who cares if it isn't a 1 punch KO?

If he is so slow, so sloppy and so ordinary, then the only thing left to win him fights is his power, lolol. No one can even last the distance against this bum.

Comment

Originally posted by Jubei View Post
                      Here you have Darnell Boone talking GGG, the guy is a big puncher himself and knocked down Ward, almost stopped him, he knocked out Stevenson and knocked down Kovalev. The guy was in the ring with the best and has been sparring with GGG and several top fighters.

He says GGG hits as hard with 16oz Training Gloves as Kovalev hits with 10oz Fighting Gloves.
                      Great, so after he loses to Jacobs, he should have no problem fighting the winner of Kov-Ward, correct?

Let's face it, he already beat up Kovalev while weighing in the 160's, he beat up cruiserweights, he beats up heavyweights in sparring. Oh and get this. He hits harder than Kovalev while wearing 16oz gloves than when Kov is wearing 10oz gloves.

I've seen and heard all I needed to hear. No reason this guy can't fact Kov-Ward winner

Comment

Working...
                      X