Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did filipinos disown brian viloria to claim donaire???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shadeyfizzle View Post
    Why does whether or not one embraces their "heritage" make any bit of difference?

You're basically saying that the reason donaire is so much a bigger star than viloria that he has billboards and movies in the philippines is that the public realized that viloria was capitalizing on his ethnicity for profit while donaire is genuine. But the facts prove otherwise.

Donaire might have been born in the country but immigrated to the us at 8 yrs old and never returned until after he beat darchinyan. Viloria had actually spent more total time in the philippines with his grandma than donaire.

You say viloria loses brownie points for being hawaiian on the u.s. Olympic team without mentioning his filipino heritage but he beat donaire to get that spot but donaire doesnt losr any brownie points for being american.

Hypocrite much??
    How can I be a hypocrite when I basically said neither guy is really embraced? Donaire couldn't even sell out the home depot center in carson california which has a heavy filipino population.

They also hated Donaire because of his feud with his pops.

Viloria is considered a phoney by them though, my Filipino friend told me that Viloria was only trying to cash in on the Pacquiao craze back in 2006, I myself only knew of a few filipinos like lou diamond Philips and Rob Schneider, those were like the only two famous people who were really vocal about being Filipino. Viloria was Hawaiian to me, because its what he claimed, if there was no Manny Pacquiao you still think he would claim Filipino? get real. Pacman basically put the Philippines on the map, nobody knew about them to be honest.

Comment

An ongoing issue i've had with filipino sports media is that not too long ago brian viloria was the 2nd biggest filipino star next to manny pacquiao.

But ever since viloria's tainted losses against omar nino and donaire's spectacular ko of darchinyan...nonito donaire has become the new media darling and viloria has never regained his celebrity status despite recapturing a world title. I've asked several members of filipino media the reason for this and the most common response was along the lines of donaire embraces his filipino heritage therefore making more compelling storylines while viloria is more american as evidenced by his competing for the u.s. olympic team as opposed to the philippines.

Everytime I heard this I was like wtf??? How is donaire more filipino than viloria? Because he was born there?? Viloria qualified for the u.s. olympic team by beating donaire. Has actually spent more total hours living in the philippines and has had more fights there than donaire.

Way to jump on a bandwagon and simultaneously be willfully ignorant of members of your own community philippines
      Donaire Grew up poor in the Philippines! He still speak the same Language!

Viloria was born in Hawaii, spend the early days in the Philippines but cant speak a Filipino Language!

Truly Donaire's more Filipino than Viloria!

But I'm proud for them both!

Comment

Originally posted by hectari View Post
        How can I be a hypocrite when I basically said neither guy is really embraced? Donaire couldn't even sell out the home depot center in carson california which has a heavy filipino population.

Viloria is considered a phoney by them though, my Filipino friend told me that Viloria was only trying to cash in on the Pacquiao craze back in 2006, I myself only knew of a few filipinos like lou diamond Philips and Rob Schneider, those were like the only two famous people who were really vocal about being Filipino. Viloria was Hawaiian to me, because its what he claimed, if there was no Manny Pacquiao you still think he would claim Filipino? get real. Pacman basically put the Philippines on the map, nobody knew about them to be honest.
        once again..what does claiming heritage have anything to do with anything??? Viloria is a fullblooded filipino regardless. Filipinos have jumped on the coattails of guys like tim lincecum who's only 1/4 filipino and has never openly claimed filipino heritage...just passing references when asked.

So you're saying they're proud of half and quarter filipinos because they claim it while disrgarding full blooded ones as phonies because they dont talk about it. Ok.....

Comment

He's had a handful of fights there. What im saying is before he lost to nino(a tainted loss I might add since nino failed his drug test) viloria was right up there with pacquiao in terms of celerity status with tickertape parades, billboards, tv appearances, and such. But ever since he lost he's never come close to regaining the same level of celebrity despite recently unifying while donaire has movies and sponsorships.
          How do you even know that? Are you Filipino? Did you live in the Philippines around that time? You talk like what you're saying are facts when really they are just mere assumptions.

Comment

Originally posted by Nekeneg View Post
            How do you even know that? Are you Filipino? Did you live in the Philippines around that time? You talk like what you're saying are facts when really they are just mere assumptions.
            the philippines lives in him not the other way around...

Comment

An ongoing issue i've had with filipino sports media is that not too long ago brian viloria was the 2nd biggest filipino star next to manny pacquiao.

But ever since viloria's tainted losses against omar nino and donaire's spectacular ko of darchinyan...nonito donaire has become the new media darling and viloria has never regained his celebrity status despite recapturing a world title. I've asked several members of filipino media the reason for this and the most common response was along the lines of donaire embraces his filipino heritage therefore making more compelling storylines while viloria is more american as evidenced by his competing for the u.s. olympic team as opposed to the philippines.

Everytime I heard this I was like wtf??? How is donaire more filipino than viloria? Because he was born there?? Viloria qualified for the u.s. olympic team by beating donaire. Has actually spent more total hours living in the philippines and has had more fights there than donaire.

Way to jump on a bandwagon and simultaneously be willfully ignorant of members of your own community philippines
              Surely because you know what EVERY single one of the over 100 million filipino's think.

I mean never mind the fact that Vilioria is STILL popular in Pinas, but according to the pinoy's YOU know you assume it must be true.

Take a read at this article, this is a much better illustration at WHY pinoy's wrote him off...

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story...hernan-marquez

Comment

I ain't disowning any of them. They a both Americans of Filipino Descent. You take you pick between the two words.

Comment

once again..what does claiming heritage have anything to do with anything??? Viloria is a fullblooded filipino regardless. Filipinos have jumped on the coattails of guys like tim lincecum who's only 1/4 filipino and has never openly claimed filipino heritage...just passing references when asked.

So you're saying they're proud of half and quarter filipinos because they claim it while disrgarding full blooded ones as phonies because they dont talk about it. Ok.....
                  Tim Lincecum?

Oh come on..

He's about as filipino as bangers and mash.
                  Last edited by Wombraider; 11-30-2012, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hectari View Post

Both Viloria and Donaire are embraced and loved by the Filipinos, if not most. And Philippines is very proud of them for the glory that they gave the country. However, of course, not in the same level as Pacquiao is. Maybe Pacquiao was so much loved by the Filipinos since the time that he was making waves in the US because of his mentality of giving all he got to great lengths as "dying in the ring" in order to make a name for his country. Seconded only by his known generosity to the less fortunate.

Comment

i support both.. filipino's aint hating much on them..

Comment

Working...
                      X