Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Spence Explains Turning Down Miguel Cotto Fight, Golden Boy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by juandabomb View Post
    spence made a mistake by not signing in my opinion...dude beats up cotto his stock goes up big time plus 2-3 yrs later get canelo.
    Wrong, just all wrong. Errol just cut out the middle man & if he keeps winning then they gon have to see him no if's, buts or what's about it. Plus get more $ than he would with the middleman.

Comment

• Originally posted by mathed View Post
      Cotto didn't just get beaten down by GGG.
      Casuals..........

Comment

• Originally posted by bigdog0331 View Post
        It might be a bad move but yesterday my boy came over to watch the fights with me and had no clue who any of the fighters were. No promoter, no exposure. He might be getting he paid good money but the average fan doesn’t know who this kid is, fast money isn’t always the best money. He needs to be marketed
        Your boy is just a casual like the average fans....so if he don't know Errol what difference would the promoter make? Fast or slow money he would get paid more regardless by cutting out the middleman. Don't let the game FOOL you. You are your best promoter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lopez_Boxing View Post
          A clear DUCK MOVE by spence....or that's how some will find a way to spin it
          Only from a casual would they spin it, or a hater.......Errol just gets paid more by cutting out the middleman.....good for him. As long as he keeps winning everything will take care of itself.

Comment

• Originally posted by _original_ View Post
            I'm honestly not sure Spence would've won that fight.
            Dude, Cotto is done. Errol would beat Cotto like if he were margarito with loaded wraps.

Comment

• Originally posted by Johnston View Post
              I don't like how some promoters take advantage of the fighters, but some Of these fighters under value what promoters can do for them. Someone like spence should be well known
              He is, your here aren't you?

Comment

• Originally posted by SilverMiles View Post
                Bad decision in my opinion. If the mission is to build a Hall of Fame career and to make money than you have to fight a guy like Cotto no matter the circumstances (unless the terms are extreme) A four-fight contract with no extension could have possibly been negotiated and completed by 2019.

I think Spence needs to realize that the chances of facing Thurman anytime before 2019 are slim.

Instead of fighting just once this year he could have fought one of the premier names in boxing and captured a 2nd world title in a fight he most likely would have won.
                You seem to forget that promoters drag you longer than that.....Errol cut out the middleman making more $ for himself & as long as he keeps winning its all good, plus Cotto is old & irrelevant.

Comment

• Originally posted by SilverMiles View Post
                  Bad decision in my opinion. If the mission is to build a Hall of Fame career and to make money than you have to fight a guy like Cotto no matter the circumstances (unless the terms are extreme) A four-fight contract with no extension could have possibly been negotiated and completed by 2019.

I think Spence needs to realize that the chances of facing Thurman anytime before 2019 are slim.

Instead of fighting just once this year he could have fought one of the premier names in boxing and captured a 2nd world title in a fight he most likely would have won.
                  It was the best decision. $ talks bulls**t walks & guess who just did the walking? (Oscar if you didn't know)

Comment

• Originally posted by SchoolTheseCats View Post
                    Lmao Cotto was getting tagged by kamegi Spence knocks him out
                    Lol....He couldn't even KO kamegi, Spence Knocks him out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Butch.McRae View Post
                      All of this "he needs a promoter" talk is stupid. If a guy is making $1 million - $2 million per fight, that fighter is already at the non-PPV compensation peak. Spence is already at that level going forward. It is highly unlikely that he'd become some $5+ million PPV fighter before beating Thurman. What exactly do you all think a can promoter can do for him at this point? Theyre saying he's getting $3.5 million for his next fight, but it'll likely be $2 million. That's what Kovakev got for his first fight with Ward, and more than the second. You all doesn't understand the business. GBP was trying to play him with that offer.

There are few fighters in history who ever had more than one (or two) fights in their careers where the purse was larger than $2 million. These fighters know that. They're not dumb.

Absent some proof of a potential PPV run. Nobody can do any better than the $1 million - $2 million paydays these guys are getting with Al. Just look at Thurman's purses. There are situations (like Danny's w/ HBO) that call for a mixture of forces to get the big fights, but Errol isnt in that situation. So the fights he needs are already on the way. Crawford is the only one that will require some ingenuity.
                      basics! i agree

Comment

Working...
                      X