Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Wilder-Ortiz: WBC Prez Explains Current Situation, Ruling Coming

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Wilder-Ortiz: WBC Prez Explains Current Situation, Ruling Coming

World Boxing Council President Mauricio Sulaiman is going through numerous matters at his organization's 55th annual convention in Baku. And biggest matter on Sulaiman's agenda is the doping scandal involving Cuban Luis 'King Kong' Ortiz, who has a fight scheduled against WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder on November 4th at Barclays Center in Brooklyn.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Can't they just make it a non-title bout? This isn't a mandatory right?

Comment

Idk why every PED situation the WBC finds itself in needs a ruling. Either guys disclose what they are on or they don't & any story they come up with after shouldn't matter so the "ruling" comes when you pop dirty.

Its f#cked up if a guy is legit innocent & was just momentarily absent minded, but a substance is either banned or its not & you not telling people its in your system to the people testing you when asked about it suggests you are doing something f#cked up & are hoping it won't be discovered or you don't even know exactly what you are taking & that you could come up dirty for it.

Comment

I hope we get this fight. There is always some weird drama with Ortiz (maybe most other Cubans fighters too when you think about it).

Just want to see a good fight.

Comment

Just so I understand, If Ortiz had told them before, "hey I take the following meds for high blood pressure" would it not be an issue?

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo410 View Post
            Just so I understand, If Ortiz had told them before, "hey I take the following meds for high blood pressure" would it not be an issue?
            I think there are stipulations beyond this. I'm not positive but I think you also have to demonstrate that anything you are taking on the banned list is medically necessary. IE that there were no other reasonable, non-banned alternatives.

In all this people are losing the fact that it's banned for a reason. When the drug was added to the list it was understood that it could hypothetically serve a legitimate medical purpose. But the fact that it's a medicine doesn't mean everyone who takes it is using it for medicinal purposes.

We shouldn't just allow any boxer to take any banned substance just because the substance is a medicine. They should be expected to be forthcoming about the stuff they are on, justify the usage of it, and have the approval/recognition of those that need to know.

If Ortiz is genuinely taking this for high blood pressure and no other reasonable, non-banned alternative would work as well for him, then fine. The fight should continue. Otherwise **** him.
            Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 10-01-2017, 09:14 PM.

Comment

I guess only Floyd get retrospective TUE then.

Then again that was with USADA.

No wonder Floyd didn't want to use VADA

Comment

Ortiz is definitely fat enough to suffer from high blood pressure

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
                  Can't they just make it a non-title bout? This isn't a mandatory right?
                  I think the issue with this is that if the WBC doesn't recognize this as a title defense, then there would be an issue with him not fighting his mandatory instead?

I'm not sure. But I wouldn't mind that.

Comment

Does the WBC really care about clean boxing, or just about being able to manipulate the outcomes of fights by controlling which fighters get windows to cycle PEDs, and which don't? Case in point, Aleem vs Khytrov. Khytrov was tested, Aleem was not, so Aleem had the iron chin that night, Khytrov didn't. Then Aleem was tested against his next opponent, and got knocked out with one shot.

Or Canelo-GGG. Canelo creates this probably fake beef with the WBC and gives the belt to GGG so GGG has to drug test 365 days a year, while Canelo doesn't. Suddenly GGG starts to decline while Canelo's physique transforms into Mike Tyson's. Just keeping it real...

Comment

Working...
                    X