Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think some knockdowns in history had been staged?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think some knockdowns in history had been staged?

For example, Camacho being decked by Cruz looked totally fake as it wasn't even a hard punch or didn't look like one.. And, we all know Hector had a steel jaw and gigantic heart.. Another example was Bruce Seldons gimmick of giving you the impression he was knocked cold then would jump up immediately and resume.. Maybe they wanted to sorta appear as though they were slipping in their boxing skills to get more fights.. Any other incidents you could think of??

Looking at footage from the 20s through 50s(coincidence that these were the mob's heydays?) many knockdowns/knockouts looked fake and I don't think that's because of the lower quality of the footage. The fighters didn't react to punches the same way. Joe Louis was one of the first where all of the knockouts looked as real as it gets. Guys just getting completely stiffened.

Comment

Yes, watch Tyson vs. Seldon. It was so bad the announcers couldnt sell it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
        For example, Camacho being decked by Cruz looked totally fake as it wasn't even a hard punch or didn't look like one.. And, we all know Hector had a steel jaw and gigantic heart.. Another example was Bruce Seldons gimmick of giving you the impression he was knocked cold then would jump up immediately and resume.. Maybe they wanted to sorta appear as though they were slipping in their boxing skills to get more fights.. Any other incidents you could think of??
        Originally posted by BKM- View Post
        Looking at footage from the 20s through 50s(coincidence that these were the mob's heydays?) many knockdowns/knockouts looked fake and I don't think that's because of the lower quality of the footage. The fighters didn't react to punches the same way. Joe Louis was one of the first where all of the knockouts looked as real as it gets. Guys just getting completely stiffened.
        Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
        Yes, watch Tyson vs. Seldon. It was so bad the announcers couldnt sell it.

Juan Manuel Marquez VS Likar Ramos is seemingly considered
        a dive by anybody who saw it.

Comment

Seldon was a gifted boxer with a glass jaw.. Look at the Bowe Seldon fight for further evidence.. Mike was known for decimating strong jawed opponents in much the same fashion..

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFS_4SLMfac

Comment

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
              Tyson-Seldon was a total dive. No question about it.

Comment

The sport is all about the money. When there is a big money fight, you can probably count on it being skewed to a degree.

Comment

Holy crap. Never saw a stoppage from a jab before. And I remember Seldon claiming he was caught on the forehead and dazed by a Tyson punch. Wouldn't be surprised at all if that was a dive though. I read there was a Wilder fight not too long ago where an opponent was suspected of taking a dive as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                    Holy crap. Never saw a stoppage from a jab before. And I remember Seldon claiming he was caught on the forehead and dazed by a Tyson punch. Wouldn't be surprised at all if that was a dive though. I read there was a Wilder fight not too long ago where an opponent was suspected of taking a dive as well.
                    That was Malik Scott. It was suspicious looking but not conclusively a dive imo.

Comment

Working...
                    X